1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars RPG any good?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Brallrock, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I finished KOTOR the other day and it was a marvellous game. I played a Light Side scout 4/guardian 16 and had a tremendous time Force-jumping from enemy to enemy, dispersing crowds with Force Wave and flurrying the leftovers to death. Most of the time I used Mission and either Bastilla or Jolee as support. Stasis Field and Mission's sneak attack caused even the most powerful monsters' HP to plummet, leaving Darwi Jakin (I knew all those online Star Wars name generators were useful for something) to bounce around finishing the hapless beasts off. Used Zalbaar occasionally for some Wookie action too.

It was a bit buggy, even with the patch, but nothing game-destroying or intolerable. I also plan on getting KOTOR II soon: those Jedi prestige classes look fun to play with. Might also give the first game a Dark Side Consular runthrough, making a point of using the NPCs I didnt take last time. This game is fairly easy, so any of the characters can be used without serious frustration. Thinking of going armoured this time as well. There were lots of cool armour suits that I never got to play around with last time. I'll miss out on Force Lightning, but its worth it to rock the Darth Vader style :D

Have fun with the rest of the game, Brallrock!

EDIT: a question: When the main character is having visions, are there supposed to be cutscenes showing what was described, or am I supposed to just see my character sleeping restlessly? I get the latter, but it seemed like there should be something in there. Main reason I ask is that on the Ebon Hawk I had the option to ask Bastilla to replay our shared visions, and when I did so she said something like "hold on a minute" and then then it simply cut back to gameplay. All the other cutscenes in the game play fine. Any ideas?

[ March 14, 2006, 18:44: Message edited by: Will ]

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

@Will: There should be a short cutscene. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix that other than to suggest the patch.

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Got the patch before I started playing. I assume 1.03 is the latest version. Didnt use the game's update feature as my gaming pc isnt connected to the internet, so downloaded it seperately. Dont know if that would make a difference; I know that for NWN they recommend using the update feature if at all possible.

Could also be a graphics card/driver issue, I suppose, although I have the latest drivers for my Geforce 6800. Oh well, Its not the end of the world.

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The reason for the updater is generally the patches are much bigger if you don't use it (especially with NWN, it's 100MB+ as opposed to about 50 IIRC.)

Don't think it makes a difference for KOTOR though.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I didn't use the patch and my game didn't bug at all. I got all the visions/flashbacks.

KotOR2 was a damn bugfestival though. Didn't even finish my 2nd runthru as a DS consular because it kept hanging and corrupting my damn save file :bang:

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The D20 Star Wars RPG is very good, and I reccomend it. Easy enough to learn, but it's D20 rules unfortunatly. However, they have fixed several of my major annoyances, such as DR in Armor and a different hitpoint system.

7. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

2 things:

First: KoTOR is the best game *ever*, especially set in the SW universe. It's got all the great elements of an RPG game with what feels like more control over combat.
    Second: KoTOR 2 is the worst game *ever*. Okay, okay, it's still pretty good, but compared to the first it's nothing. I'm furious that Bioware didn't do it, and *really* peeved about the uuuh romance thing. Or lack thereof. I'm a girl dangit! I like a good romance! Also, I found it incredibly buggy on the XBOX, with it freezing on load and occasionally completely booting the save file that froze.

And Nar Shadaa STUNK.

8. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Once again, thanks to all of you that steared me towards this game. I am kicking a$$ and loving it. Just got to the water planet, Tatooine, and Kashyyk are done.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yep, KotOR is awesome. May start another playthrough myself soon.

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I succumbed and bought KotOR :D

11. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I hope you love it as much as I do.

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

What?!? Nar Shadaa is in the sequel?!?

That's it: KotOR2's now off my 'get when possible' list! I'm positively SICK of 'the vertical city' that *every* GORRAM SW FPS *had* to plot you through (I'm a borderline acrophobe and it translates even into playing PC games; I can't 'Donkey Kong' worth a plugged nickel :( )

S'pity, because I'd been so looking forward to it after all the fun I'd had with the first game...

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I'd still pick it up AE. Mine was buggy as hell but it's still worth at least one playthrough if only for Kreia. She's like Denzel Washington in Training Day. Right up until the end you're not quite sure what she's doing and who's side she's on or who she really is. Awesome.

14. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm one of the few who loved Kotor2 as much as the first. I didn't seem to catch most of the bugs that other people did. The writing was actually much better than the first one, and Kreia is probably the best NPC in a game I've played (in terms of depth, not humor value).

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Damn this was anoying. I bought a new comp recently, and figured I could finally play kotor in all its glory. BUT aparantly there is some issue with my nvidia card. And the whole game goes extremely slow. any ideas on how to fix this?

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What card do you have? I ran the game just fine on my old nVidia Ti4200, which is a 5 year old card. A little slow, sure - but it ran without much fuss (on low settings, I admit). If you bought a new system, you probably just need to update your driver.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I ran KotOR2 with great and fast graphics on a GF5900XT, which isn't much more powerful than your Ti4200 (this is because Ti is old but extremely powerful and more powerful than most of the newer FX cards), with a Celeron 2.4 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM, so nothing special.

Except Taris outdoors, KotOR 1 ran fine on a Celeron 700 Mhz with 256 MB RAM (IIRC, possibly 512) and a GF2Ti graphics card. And I'm sure Taris outdoors needs some outrageously powerful combination to run smoothly, anyway. Incidentally, KotOR 2 also ran fine on that computer but with 512 MB RAM this time.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The 5900XT is what I have now, and both games run on full settings, no hiccups. A faster processor and a sh*tload of ram may be the difference in our respective performaces. And I have to disagree, the difference between the Ti4200 and the 5900XT is enormous. It was like night and day on all my games the day I plugged the 5900 in. Again - your processor and RAM may have been holding you back.

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Naw its some driver issues I suspect. I mean I run Oblivion perfectly, with full graphics, so its anoying that kotor won`t even work on the lowest setting. Brand new comp as well. Dual 2.8 processor plenty of ram and the newest nvidia graphics card. Bigtime anoying though.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Quick question. iirc you're allowed yo upgrade HK-47 or get some backstory from him if your repair skill is high enough? Am I right? Can someone tell me what these upgrades will do and what repair skill and intelligence you need?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.