1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starcraft 2 announced

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Ofelix, May 19, 2007.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I hope not, IMO the hero system of WCIII is what ruined to fun for me. All Aldeth said about it is true and doesn't translate in ''fun'' in the game.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just finished playing Starcraft again and it is still a really fun game - much better than Warcraft III or just about any of the other more modern RTS games. If the sequel is anywhere near as good as the original than I will be very happy.

I actually really liked the way the hero units were handled in Starcraft. Having an uber unit that you have to be careful not to lose adds another element to your strategy. Most of the hero units were repairable/regenerating/shield replenisable so you could use them in combat but you had to be careful about it. I did use them in combat on every level that they were available.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    What I was refering with WCIII hero system, was actually the pseudo-RPG theme in the game. I don't dislike this idea, one of my favourite game, Spellforce II, is an hybrid actually. But IMO Starcraft isn't suposed to be one. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, after seeing the Gameplay Demo, I'm having quite positive opinions. Sure, it might be horrible, but it also might really be a new Starcraft. And it seems that that's what they're aiming for.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Ye gods...yet another popular franchise resurrected from the dead. :(

6. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Actually, the hero system used in Warcraft III was sort of a turn off for me. Its wonderful in the single player campaigns, giving it a pseudo RPG feel to it but it really killed it for me in the melee/normal game multiplayer department due to the excessive micromanagement of the hero unit and creeping (god, i hate creeping!). However, it allowed for many new and innovative maps/custom games with the hero units (DOTA or RPG maps for example)

I hope that they don't make the normal Starcraft II melee games to include the Warcarft III hero system, but I do hope they implement the system in the single player campaign as well as allowing it for custom maps (DOTA in space anyone?).

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I'll play that. ;)

One of the most defining moments in Warcraft III history was the creation of that map. If they could make a SC:2 DOTA...

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Did everyone check the gameplay video? Looks quite a bit more impressive than the screenshots alone.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Just finished watching it, and as I'd feared, they're going complicated. Whether it'll be too much, you can't really tell with a demo, but... :bad:

BTW, what was the significance of GG at the very end? The only thing I can come up with is "Good God".

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

GG stands for Good Game, an often used phrace at the end of a match, both used seriously and in jest.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I was wondering about that too.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Its l337 speak...like for instance..."I totally pwnd joo n00b!! GG...Kthxbye!"

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Yeah, either Good Game or Good Going.

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    This announcement made me and my friend reinstall SC, we now play MP skirmishes against the comp, and my god are they challenging! Games take us around 1 and a half hours to win...and thats if we survive the initial rushes, which is usually ok unless its Protoss! :p

I'm looking forward to SC2 in the distant future, hopefully my comp will be able to handle it by then lol :D

15. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Oh dear oh dear - that will be another game on my "Must have" list. StarCraft 1 absolutely rocked, I still dust it off every now and then, at not too lengthy intervals. :) I hope they manage to do a decent followup!

16. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Those vids were awesome, I only watched a couple of em, and it really made me remember why SC was so great - the whole balanced rock/paper/scissors thing thats easy to pick up but takes ages to truly master! And it looks awesome to boot.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I think it'll be pretty hard to top the original game, especially Brood War, but they would have to really, really mess it up to make it worse than just "decent". I think I'll stick to prudent anticipation.

18. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

What the hell is so good about Brood war?

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I loved Brood War back then. Had to use cheats to finish it though, I suck major mule at RTS type games :(

I saw the gameplay vids, very cool. They managed to keep it very similar to the old style but with better graphics now.

Just a comment on the trailer though. Cool graphics, but it sucked mule. 4 minutes of putting on armor? C'mon! What was the old StarCraft trailer? Wasn't it the action-packed one where they were being swarmed by Zerg in the space station? That was cool. Or the cut-scene in the desert when the 2 grunts hit a zergling then got caught by the rest: "I love you sarge." hehe :D

20. guguma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello and good days,

Actually it is too early to talk about it,

What was wonderful about sc and bw was their multiplayer balance, and it really was (was?) an arcade game, you could not watch the skies or go for a soda while playing.

There are some fears and hopes after these screenshots and movies and sadly fears are more.

HOPES:

1. It seems it is still very dynamic indeed.

2. They continually talk about balancing so it seems that it will be balanced.

3. they did not add an additional resource type. it is a good sign that it will keep its dynamics.

4. I do not see a sign of ranked units and it is good indeed.

FEARS
    1. Units and terrain looks so inseperable to the eye, fanciness has its limits to be good. I fear one will not be able to follow and monitor the battle ground with all these fanciness.

2. There are many units jumping over the high grounds, then what is the good of a high ground (or will it be a good of a high ground)

3. Why zerglings grew wings? they look horrible they look like mosquitoes rather than fierce but cute jumpies.

4. Mothership makes one think, will there be units like these available for terran and zerg too. I think there will but I fear that the game will turn into "make 20 most powerful units take the single devastating unit with them (mothership) with them and kill the opponent" type game rather than an arcade continious battle game.

5. About 8 zealots having a hard time against about 6 marines. Hmm where are the good old zealots.

6. And what is the thing about zealot rush attack (instant rush movement)?

7. We did not see any humanoid protoss units. I fear they will make protoss a robot nation.

8. What about 3D rendered head portraits. They are ugly and power consuming.

9. Nearly every unit makes shiny animations, if all of them have thousands of special abilities it will not be nice at all. Units should be themselves tactical rather than their special abilities.

Anyway these are what comes to my mind for now. We will wait and see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.