1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Take a look at some Wordpress themes with me?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, May 6, 2018.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hi, folks. Would you mind taking a look at some of these with me — both on a computer and a mobile phone, if possible, as on mobiles they look quite different and mobiles are very important these days — and telling me what y'all think?

KingLaw
    Lawyero
    Lawyer & Attorney

And perhaps:

Miako
    Anwalt

Other options include adapting a versatile business theme such as:

Ronneby
    (22, 32)

… or grabbing and adapting something intended for luxury goods or services and thus necessarily reflecting the right idea in the choice of layout, colours, special effects etc.

There are also some more at ThemeForest.

Please disregard the merits of the pictures, in so far as possible — they are not included, they're merely there for demo purposes, and I'll need to choose different ones anyway.

In more detail:

I'm leaning toward the first three, though my mind is not fully set yet. Lawyer & Attorney seems to have the best and easiest editor, but it's a bit underwhelming on mobiles. KingLaw leans on the spectaculous side but a bit too much magpie bait. Lawyero has a nice modern look and looks great on mobiles, but is a little bit unserious.

That said, I appreciate something that's modern and without the stick, but on the other hand unlike in pure legal practice I'm in legal translation, where prestige is a more sensitive matter, so a more buttoned-up impression might be necessary (I don't have the status to get away with decadence yet) and some of the things in Lawyero are a bit too gimmicky (parallax, dented lines etc.). Then again, the whole thing certainly looks professional and a bit of a breath of fresh air plus a little artsiness that wouldn't be bad in my case due to the artisanal/luxurious feel I want to create (as opposed to a more commoditized outlook predicated simply on success, efficiency, monetary value, etc.). And it has some great elements to use in the editor, though the editor is not as great as Lawyer & Attorney's, as in you need to type quite a lot and actually check out CSS classes from the documentation (I could, but that's a bother compared to a completely visual editor).

The problem with Lawyer & Attorney, though, is that it's just not as great as Lawyero on mobiles. It looks like a clear PC-to-mobile port, whereas Lawyero shows some almost-native beauty.

I'm also trying to visualize Kinglaw without the animations on the individual elements. That might well be a better version of Lawyer & Attorney, but it's just too hard for me to visualize.

I've already explained the reasons for considering non-law-specific layouts, but the versatile ones usually contain one or two premade legal setups anyway.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is it bad that I don't even know what it is I am supposed to be evaluating here? (And I'm a lawyer . . . )

3. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, well, it's quite bad for my communication skills today, lol. Anyway, just what looks good or functional to you, out of these all, and why?

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's quite hard for me to comment on this. Though I can infer some from your post, it would help to state clearly at the start of the post on what basis we are to evaluate these themes / editors.

I gather it's for your own website, for your work in legal translations?
    And aside from the look, ease of use for you to create the website is also important?

If it's any help, I'd go for serious. If I'm looking for someone to make a legal translation, I'd go for the guy without the gimmicks. Modern and serious, no frills, would at least give a good impression to me. But I imagine there is some cultural bias there as well, so people in your area might have a somewhat different view on that (on average).

I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, so I'd not mind if I'd have to work a bit more to get it just right. As long as the editor at least gives me the options, I can work it out. It's your image, so it wouldn't hurt to put some time into it, I figure. But you might weigh that balance a bit differently.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is it bad that I found multiple grammatical mistakes on the KingLaw page? If so, I'd say we can take that one out.

Frankly, I don't even know what the tools are that are being discussed on these various webpages, nor do I know what is important and why. Thus, I cannot comment on what is functional or why, but I can say that a legal theme page probably should not have glaring mistakes (or at least glaring to me . . . )

6. chevalier

Media:
    The text would be replaced entirely. I don't know why (primitive DRM?), but it seems to be a convention among designers to write dummy text in broken English, with mistakes, typos in headers, etc. They even seem to all take their dummy text from the same source.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My two cents worth:

Lawyer & Attorney approximates the home page layout that a lot of Canadian firms use.

Ronneby 22 is very similar to what I've seen American firms use.

Don't know if this helps, I don't have my hand on the pulse of the European-Polish market.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.