1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tal, we lost your bot for you

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aikanaro, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

So sorry Tal but it seems that dear Mystra has dissappeared from chat.
    It also seems that someone was controlling Mystra some time before that, was that you?

Edit: Mystra came back to us! Horray!

[ August 31, 2002, 13:42: Message edited by: zaknafein ]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Tal, you know that last night Mystra greeted me with Lusk's infoline:
    [Extremist]He drives tractors.

Also, X666X says that about a week ago he felt that someone else is logged as Mystra (lag and odd responses).

Tal, change Mystra's NickServ password, now!

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    yep, Mystra is acting strange.

2 days ago, she suddenly participated in the conversation, I thought it was Shralp (sorry, Shralp) but apparently there's something else going on. [edit]ah, I see it was just me and my paranoia :shake:

[ August 31, 2002, 16:32: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

4. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] TAL:

I detected a WAY LONG lag about a week ago; then tree days earlier got myself banned on purpose using my nick X666X ( :D Sorry guys, was for a good cause though :D -PLEASE, Herf, Gopher and the rest, give me a break, I was just testing the responses; seoius man!-).

Let me tell you that Mystra didn't even gave me one random response out good subjects directed to me and bad subjects directed the the rest.

AND today Zaknafein has told me Mystra went offline.

I know about C, Assembler and Basic a little and want to give my opinion on this (then again, I could be wrong...)

I think someone managged do download your cab file and hacked you server to access your files to download them; then cracked your password inserted a few lines and uploaded the code again as the original and has had access to the console, not just the common commands and has managed to intercept the channels.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Just to add... I don't know on what Mystra is working, but the thing like he just posted was used to hack UNIX web servers. A simplified explanation: you start a script/session which must use root level (for example - printing), then you break it which leaves you once granted root access and then you recompile anything to allow you to log in as admin through a backdoor. And you don't even need a root password!
    These things were safety problem of old UNIX versions, but are now removed. Tal, if it wasn't you who controlled Mystra, check if it's being messed with and if it is, recompile it!

6. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Lol Extremist, I told you in the chat that that was Herf. You obviously weren't paying attention :p

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This is where I come in and break all the conspiracy theories... Any op can talk through the bot or make it act, provided they know how to do it via the party line. In this case, it was Herf. He's even responsible for your fake infoline Ex. I haven't realized he played with the bot so extensively though, so I'm putting a ban on that kind of bot use starting immediately.

Btw, chatroom is covered in SS as well, so I'm moving this topic.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Well, I didn't know that. Sorry for being ignorant. But the imposter is now, I hope, over with!

[ August 31, 2002, 16:26: Message edited by: Extremist ]

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Herf told us it wasn't him! Liar!

10. deBhaal Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

This is an issue slightly related, :
    AOL has been banned from the chat, because some ass got around his ban ...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.