1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The bad of NWN2

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by catbert, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehehe! That's true, no pincushion Hallen :D

But BTA is doing well, I'm heading into Orc territory now, looking for some emmissary.

However, I did just send a screenshot of the impending death of Moire to Tal, and I distinctly see an arrow being fitted to Elanee's bow... :)

2. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

No, I haven't. Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that the right-click menu simply duplicated the commands that were available in the behavior screen. I was not aware that some functions were available only through the right-click menu. I'll try it tonight and see how it goes.

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

You don't have to assign the command to each separate individual. Right click off any character or item in the middle of the screen, then go to broadcast command (while having the stealthy character selected), and it'll command every OTHER character to stand their ground.

That was a basic feature of NWN1 :p .

4. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Although don't forget that if you broadcast "Stand your ground" with your stealth character selected, the moment you'll switch from the sneaky to anyone else, the sneaky will dash to the new party leader. Yeah, I tried the rogue way at first. It was a pain in the rectum.

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It can be finicky. Even with my wizard in puppet mode, if I'm controlling Neeshka and have her say "Attack!" even my wizard character starts blasting fireballs all over the place. I'm going to wear my space bar out with all the pausing and micro-managing these NPCs require.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I very much wish broadcast commands could be setup in the quickslot :( . In the orignal NWN "stand ground" and "follow me" were two of my most used hotkeys. In NWN2 I use broadcast commands very sparingly, as its rather a hassle to issue them.

7. Bombur

Well, so far so good. The right click menu, while certainly a hassle, seems to be getting the job done most of the time. Yes, it still has idiosyncrasies, but it's a lot better than the nightmare I had before. Thanks for the help on that.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

They never worked for me.

9. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    *played some more*

No, really, this is a good story?

In NWN, you could threaten people and kill them. Threaten them for money, take the money, and then kill them. Or you could just kill them. Don't like the way someone's talking to you? Well, use your 10 BAB! Not enough payment? Do them in and take what they got.

In this game it's:
    NPC: Blah blah blah you suck.
    Me: Fine. Prepare to die.
    NPC: Nope, I think I'll just go away!
    *PvP Mode Off!*
    Me: Guh.. guh.. speechless.

Why give me the goddamn option to attempt violence if the game will not ever let it happen (unless intended by plot, in which case there will be violence like it or not)? Crap story, lots of phony dialog to create some kind of illusion of choice, I say.

And then, dumb linear things, like that bandit base. I clean out the base, then clean out the house - kill the sargeant, chief, couple of mages, find mad loot, go out into the desolate slaughtered base. Ooh, some people in a pig pen. Talking to them, and suddenly out of nowhere 12 bandits appear around me. But I just wiped out the base! Is it my fault that I broke the linearity of the quest? Of course, the bandits were just hiding behind a tree until I appear. Or maybe they paratrooped in. Or maybe they were invisible? Whatever.

What I expected was "Oh no, the bandits will see us!" Oh, I already killed them all. "Wow, you're mighty! Thanks for saving our souls!" Who said I saved you? Gimme all your stuff. "Gah, you vile monster, here, take all we have!"

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Actually, a bandit camp is rarely ever just 1 little group of bandits........... It makes perfect sense.

Sometimes you can't just kill someone for the love of it... because the game doesn't want to have to make you restart after you got your ass beat down by city watch, or whatever force of law exists - Or because the character might be important, or because some places really just don't warrent violence despite what you might want to do. (Clearly, the fact that pvp mode is ALWAYS off... is annoying - but if you start it up as a multiplayer game and have pvp mode always on, that wouldn't be a problem - just make it private so people can't join).

In any case. We all know playing an evil character in almost any RPG is fun, but damn near impossible to fully explore. NWN1 and 2 fail there, as sometimes my characters would rather have someone else save the world. We have to face the facts that nothing will ever fully compare to Baldur's Gate 1&2 :p .

11. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

All in all, it seems that your only annoyance with the game, turned out to be the fact that you can't be horribly evil. :)

While some of your starting arguments were good, BTA shot them down with another view on all of it and I must say I follow BTA.

After the initial arguments were in the background, this just seemed to turn in a cat chase. :)

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You can slit the forget-their-name brothers throat after the tutorial, just because they annoyed you. You couldn't kill the children, but we do live in a PC world :rolleyes:

I did try to have the dwarf killed by the thugs, but he still insisted on being my friend and then invited himself into my party.l

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's why Fallout 2 was so good...

14. catbert

Media:
    No, that's my annoyance with the allegedly great campaign which is apparently so utterly superiour to NWN1. Which might be all true, if you're NG, otherwise it's worse - as it's small and incredibly frustrating seeing how you have no say in what you do.

Aside from the campaign, the game mechanics are still hopelessly broken, and are in all ways superceded by the predecessor. No, But you can have a full party instead of one stupid henchman is a bad argument if you can neither control nor at any moment decide whether you want to have a full party,in effect having at any moment a chore of dealing with more than one stupid henchman. And boy, they're more retarded than Borat's brother Bilo.

Sure, you can slit whoever's throat, as long as it's a dialog option (which admittedly I haven't tried in the village - maybe it would have resulted in the same No you won't, you will heal me instead!). But roleplay that is not.

Late edit:

Well of course, it makes perfect deus ex machina sense from a perspective of a lousy quest design. But to me, it would make it much more interesting if there was a (perfectly reasonable) option. In any game I remember with that kind of quest, there's always an option to say make a run for it or wait here until it's safe or I already killed the baddies, go home. Why? Because that makes perfect sense.

Huh? Says who?

If I have a sword in my hand, I can kill anyone. Or attempt. I won't necessarily succeed, but let me try. I don't care what this stupid game wants, but if it wants me to enjoy the roleplay experience it might as well give me more than one outcome of any conversation or let me stab people when I don't like them. Except that it doesn't, which is why it's a bad game.

[ November 16, 2006, 15:49: Message edited by: catbert ]

15. Bombur

I never play evil, and I like the game more than catbert does, but he has valid points. Some of these rank higher on his annoyance scale than on mine, but don't get me wrong -- they still rank on mine too.

For instance, take the bandit camp. I have to agree that after my PC cleared out the camp, looted the containers, and even rested, it seemed silly to have a score of bandits appear out of thin air in the very places I had just searched, looted and rested. From my perspective, that doesn't make any "sense" at all. Personally, I didn't mind getting a few extra experience points and some more loot, but it was a poorly written plot device in my opinion.

And with regard to killing non-hostiles, I find it greatly annoying that this game has NO force attack option. It's not just unavailable at times -- it doesn't exist in the engine. You can't attack anyone unless the game has predetermined that you will fight. This is a problem not just for those who play evil, but also for those who would initiate an attack against a known enemy even though that enemy is not currently hostile. And this deficiency would certainly be a major hindrance to those who want to play evil.

We might add to this the fact that most buildings don't have doors, and that even buildings with doors usually have locks that can't be picked. So much for rogues who want to act like rogues. Even poor Kelghar, who loves to pick fights in bars and who is forced into your party, is prevented from acting out his character -- he can't pick a single fight in the game when he's in your party. Or the fact that only the protagonist can initiate a conversation. Why can't Elanee talk to the dryad to figure out why she wants the glowing rock, and what the rock does? Because she's not the protagonist? Again, shoddy writing that limits role-playing, and thereby limits fun. The list could go on and on.

If some people like these restraints placed on them because they believe it adds realism, then more power to them. I don't want to knock their enjoyment of the game in any way. But their enjoyment doesn't invalidate the preferences and opinions of others, for whom these are genuine frustrations.

16. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

The bandit camp argument is not holding it's weight. No matter how well you, "cleared" the bandit camp, keep in mind that if you fought "every" bandit at once, you would never survive. While the game makes you think that what you did was clear out the entire bandit camp (and they did a pretty bad job of designing the camp layout as a bandit camp would never have walls, since bandits don't stay in one place, EVER), when what you did, was clear out a portion of it.

Nonetheless I see your point. I especialyl see your point with not having the ability to kill at will (ie: my LG Paladin had the need to slay a few wrong doers but couldn't due to that pvp limitation).

I'm thinking a lot of every problem isn't really with NWN2 or the story, because it is quite alright, but more with the lazy programming. I won't even say it's the programmers, I blame management and above, because I've worked for a corporation and the biggest issues with getting things done is managers and other higher-ups that just plain suck.

Unfortunately I can't say NWN2 impresses me as much as NWN1 did when it came out, or even as much as the BG series STILL DOES. It is on the other hand not the worste RPG to have come out in the last year... and it is still considered a good one. (This last statement is exactly why I claim all forms of game reviews are stupid. It got 8-9/10's even though it's being released at an unfinished state, with billions of plot holes when you don't take the right characters out...).

One of my larger problems with the game was when I would head out to a quest and somehow manage to talk to the gnome who I left at the INN while I'm in the mountains. Man... them shards must give me long range telapathy.

17. catbert

Media:
    I say the bandit camp argument is holding its weight perfectly. There's no attempt to justify the appearance of twenty bandits all over the place inside a fortress with fifteen foot high walls after the said fortress was exterminated and thoroughly searched. Like many other things in that game, it just happens and it doesn't need a reason.

And the party? The way I see it, the majority of people were complaining that NWN didn't have a party. So in this game, they added a party. It doesn't matter how idiotic is the implementation, how dysfunctional are the controls on the party-level, and how saddening is the quality of the AI, and how poorly programmed is the NPC communication - just the fact that they added a party is a big pro for the fans of this game, and warrants it being awesome. For me it doesn't. If you want to add a party, do it right - like all Infinity games did, don't leave it half-done like you've left the engine and the resources. But wait, it's OE, it would seem as if it's simply below them to release finished quality games, seeing how they're pretty much warranted raving reviews just for taking on great franchises.

18. Bombur

[​IMG]
    Well, if you admit that the games makes you think this, then how did you figure out the "truth"?

I guess I was just lucky that none of the bandits in the other parts of the camp heard me slaughtering their cohorts, and that none of them wandered by during the full 24 hours I spent resting. If they did, it was very honorable of them not to kill me in my sleep, but to wait until I had rested and sufficiently buffed myself before springing their ambush. ;)

19. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Who rests in a bandit camp? For whatever reason? :( (lol) . Anyways, I figured the encounter was meant to be back to back, kill the camp, rescue the refugee's, clear out the remaining bandits. Since NO ONE does it that way and everyone loots before they go to the refugee camp... in true RP style I figure the bandits that appear later are a returning raiding party.

The rest I get though. The bandit camp is just a weak example of why this is a "bad" game. If it's so bad, it would probably benefit a person more not to play it. To be honest, I think some of the stuff you don't like is good - Look at it from a different perspective. If you were given complete free reign as an Open RPG, what motivation would you have to defend the world? I mean, an evil character might want to pillage, plunder or just gain power, but what motivation would he have to risk his life to stop a different evil creature?

Beyond the example of forcing an evil character to follow a story-line, the fact that cRPG's are more like books you play through than RPG's, means that you really should be kept to the story. Should you stray to far it's the same story anymore. Even the better infinity games limited your choices to follow the story - ie: Baldur's Gate 1&2. Of course they were better games for billion other reasons, but the fact remains for what it is, the story is compelling and well thought out - for the most part :p .

Single Player replay value is kind've out the window 'cause it's too strict along the story and what you have no choice but to do, but if the online community can get off the ground that won't matter will it?

Heh, excuse me, this is coming out a little agressive, but I don't mean it that way, I just like arguing the points that no one else seems to look at. That's the best way to see all sides clearly I think. Either way, I really do wish Obsidian would go bankrupt. They don't deserve to have made the NWN sequal. I hope BG3 (if there is one), is just plain developed by Bioware. In fact, I would love it, if the game was developed on the same engine, with the same grahpics (and maybe a 1280x1024 scale supported?), and just made well enough to last as long as BG2 did.

20. gekko Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The game is fun, but's in an action game sold as an RPG.

I don't remember the last time my alignment shifted because of something I DID, but I can remember several cases of my alignment shifting because of what I chose to SAY. It doesn't seem like my actions have any actual influence on the plot or what other people think of me, as long as I choose the "right" dialogue options.

*slight spoilers*

I also really have an issue with the party interactions. The paladin doesn't seem to have any issue with helping me cut my way through dozens of members of the city Watch, looting everything in site, or becoming a squire for no reason than convenience. Neeksha comments on our journeys even though I haven't had her in my party since I arrived in Neverwinter. Etc, etc.

*end spoilers*

The poor party interactions really bother me because it's going to take away - significantly - from the replay value. I want to hear different dialogues depending on who I choose in my party!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.