1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The bad of NWN2

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by catbert, Nov 11, 2006.

1. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I guess that's the kind of reasosning Obsidian used when making this campaign. An evil character would have a personal motivation to confront another evil character (gain of power and wealth, confronting competition), while a good character would merely be altruistic. But then, if the story is written about you being drafted into saving the world even when your whole being objects to it, there's not much to be had in terms of choice indeed. But that's counter-roleplay, and counter-interesting. I hardly ever play evil characters, but I like to stay out of the "obvious" path just to see how much variety the game would offer. This offers none.

For a number of reasons, some of which I've mentioned, this game will never click with the online community as NWN did. It's resource-heavy and strenous to modify. Just a surface look reveals that NWN2 was not intended to be a multiplayer experience. While with NWN, multiplayer was awesome, streamlined, and content was easy to create, with NWN2 the defense goes like this: at least it has multiplayer, and a toolset which doesn't necessarily mean that the multiplayer is convenient or the toolset is good at what it does.

The system requirements for the game have severely limited its exposure to players, and even more so to developers. Single-core CPUs will never become more powerful, and NWN2 doesn't support multi-core CPUs. Large modules loaded in the game easily exceed the 32-bit memory addressing limitation, and the game won't be able to take advantage of 64-bit architecture. That means that large multiplayer servers with custom content or, god forbid, persistent worlds are going to be slowly choked to death unless OE pipes in with a core rebuild (something they won't do). A lot of custom content developers were anticipating NWN2 for the new features it would offer, and most OE could offer was: at least we did not cut too many of the features you're used to.

And no multiplayer leaves little incentive for the developer to support the game and create new features and content. NWN lives and prospers to that day because multiplayer is its heart, making it infinitely replayable. NWN2? Not so much.

2. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

@omnigodly:
    No offense taken. Please also accept my comments below in the same spirit. :)
    Well, you don't have to play the game for very long before you realize that role-playing strategies don't work. I always do everything I can before talking to anyone, since I fear that opening a dialog will initiate a cut-scene, or a movie, or what not. Anyway, I agree that a returning raiding party makes more sense than your first explanation.
    Ammon Jerro seems to have plenty of motivation, and he's evil. Evil is a complex alignment. One who is evil is not necessarily devoid of compassion or altruism. Aside from that, it should not be that hard to write a story in which self-preservation, profit and power are inextricably tied to defending the world.
    I'm afraid my ideology differs from yours on this point. I am perfectly comfortable demanding more from such an expensive game. Other games found better ways to restrict the storyline when necessary, and many even offered multiple paths. If I had wanted a book-based game, I would have bought one of those LOTR games.

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

@Catbert: As for the arguments against multiplayer - It doesn't matter. In today's world a 2gig download is only a few minutes unless you're still running a 56k. What makes the online community take off or not, is the people designing for online play deciding whether or not it's worth it. While the points you listed are a deterrent, I've found worse development tools released by games that hvae been manually improved (WC3 comes to mind, so does HL2/HL engines), to provide more efficient runtimes. Where there's a will, there's a way.

@Bombur: There are few cRPG's I've ever seen with open endedness and I've only playedone, Oblivian, and it's just about the worste game I've ever played, which is why I have that opinion, as off as it may be. This of course doesn't include MMO's like EVE that are very well done open ended games, (although it's boring after a shortwhile because of the lack of variety sometimes).

I did think about Ammon Jerro when I was looking into motivations for evil characters, but...
    ***SPOILER****

He doesn't stay evil. Even if his alignment might stay evil (I forgot to check after Shandra's farm after she was dead), but I'm more than sure that his alignment changed at that point. He was never truly evil, he was just trying to stop the King of Shadow's from killing everything by all means necessary (which changes as well at the end).

***END SPOILER***

I'll say this though, Catbert and Bombur are both right about this stuff being annoying. It's definately not enough that any of us have quit playing the game, but it is annoying.

4. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You misunderstand. Hard drive capacities are virtually unlimited these days. If you can afford a high-end videocard, you can easily afford half a terabyte of storage. That's something nobody really worries about. Downloading walkmeshes for custom servers is annoying, and anyone who forgot auto-download functionality in a multiplayer game should be fired - but yet again, there's a half-assed workaround for this problem. Now, the fact that people are used to vibrant, huge, persistent servers in NWN is something people do care about. They can't have those in NWN2.

In the first days after the release, lots of people tried to throw together areas from their NWN1 modules and load them into NWN2. They quickly realized that ain't going to happen. If I look at the resource use of NWN2, I see that just playing in a little area (the swamp map) takes up around a gigabyte of system memory swap files counted in. When it reaches 2 gigabytes, Windows is no longer able to carry the process because it only supports 2gb of addressable memory. Unix systems can use 4gb, but there's no linux server for NWN2, and probably won't be (NWN had one). I suspect that's why all the areas in the game are tiny, and the campaign is split into so many distinct modules - that's the most which the engine is capable of. Put that in multiplayer - and you get the same watered down experience that amounts to nothing impressive. The MP is broken not because downloads are big, but because the game is a resource hog like no other.

5. Bombur

***spoilers***

I think he was. He sought out pacts with demons and devils, and believed that good ends justified evil means, and murdered Shandra out of revenge when she no longer posed a threat, etc. He was evil in quality even though he may not have been *utterly* evil in degree.

Actually, I was thinking of other D&D based games. They weren't open-ended, but the stories had a lot more breathing room for role playing. These things are on a continuum. Some games offer more freedom, some offer less. I like the amount of freedom in the other D&D based games.

NWN2 seems the most restrictive of them to me -- even moreso than PST, where you can't even really generate your own character (except for stats). And PST had the advantage of a GREAT story, as opposed to just a good one.

6. catbert

Media:
    I think of Fallout 1 & 2 when open-endedness comes to mind. Now, I know that both games really had just one goal, but you could complete F2 in two hours, or you could spend weeks exploring every nook and cranny of the game. You could be good, evil, any degree inbetween, and anything at all. The story was great (you might say it had many great stories), the character dialog evoked all sorts of emotions. In F2, just the raw dialog text was approaching 2 megabytes. That's a good three hundred pages of quests, reply options, stories, and so much more. Hard to believe the lead people credited in F2 are all the Obsidian head honchos - they know how to make a game.

BG1 & 2 were nothing like this either. Why do you go after Sarevok? Because it's a showdown: him or you. Why do you go after Irenicus? Because he stole your soul and you want it back. It didn't matter if you were good or evil - both alignments had the same perfectly valid reason to pursue the goal. Sprinkle a generous amount of side stories on that, and you get one more immersive experience where you get to choose your path to saving yourself and not the world, picking your friends and allegiances. Or you could pull an Eastwood, and go alone.

NWN2 just feels like a comic book with a plot aimed at attention-deficient twelve year olds, and the engine aimed at people who will think it's the best game ever because someone versed in writer's craft spent three hours writing Sand's dialog lines, regardless of programming mishaps left and right.

7. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

That reminds me catbert... Something else that bugs me about NWN2 is that only you recieve the xp and your party levels up to your level no matter what. LAME. What about having encounters be harder single, but you get more xp/levels and so on and so forth? My goodness!!!

8. catbert

Media:
    The NPCs are a bit ethereal. They mirror your level, they don't talk. I'd love to invest some points in Neeshka's Diplomacy and Bluff, but it would be poinless seeing how only your character participates in dialogs. They don't even have their own set of coordinates in savegames - and they simply appear around your main char when you load. All that made sense in KotOR, more or less, but in this game it feels wrong. Yet again, OE just didn't adapt the system enough to actually be considered as an advantage of having a "full party".

9. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

This is just a quick comment and I unfortunately do not have the time to elaborate: The way I looked at NWN, was that it was a sandbox with a little demo module on the side (Campaign). The expansions added more content to use in the toolset, but also showed users what is possible with it with an awesome campaign in HotU and a small, but classy one in SoU.

NWN2 is an improved sandbox, new graphics, new ways of making a module etc., with a campaign stuck to it. While I do agree that the campaign could be a bit more open, it is most likely the way they intended it to be played or perhaps even limited time, given to them from Atari. Who knows, it is still a kicker toolset with added module. The campaign itself seems to be a flawed diamond, one that could be improved upon until the end of time and maybe that can be the job for the community. Maybe it can make you look at your own module and see what to do and what not to do. All I know is that Obsidian tried to create a good game, because they enjoy creating games and playing them (Games by gamers, for gamers) but somehow fell short. They did, however, make quite a good one.

I've never been evil in a game, I just feel totally out of character - and it took me a lot of willpower to just try and be a Sith in KotOR when I replayed it. That is why I can't see the campaign from your side of the river

So, I dare you, I double dare you, to make a module, that is absolutely perfect in every way you want it to be. It takes awhile. :)

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

it was the same way in NWN1. you could even tell henchmen to lvl if they werent your lvl when you picked them up.

Secondly, while catbert think the Persistent worlds was the core of nwn1, even Bioware never thought so, they said so on several occassions, that persistent worlds never exceded more then 10% of the playerbase. for the large majority it was the singleplayer modules and small multiplayer modules that kept them in the game.
    I think the same will happen with NWN2. hopefully we will "soon" see playermade modules, like twilligt, midnight, dawn series or the blackguard series.

Secondly, while I agree the nwn2 OC has some flaws and lack of roleplay options, all DnD crpgs has had this, in verieng degrees. Baldurs gate 1 and 2, was in some ways very free, but they led to the same ending no mather what. tob, was very linier, but did get you some nice different end stories.

Both icewind dales was straight as an arrow, with a few fun sidequests. the fun here lied for me in creating different parties etc.

So as far as i can see, most of catberts critic is really based on him wanting to create a Persistent world.

[ November 18, 2006, 00:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. catbert

Media:
    See, in reality it's a rather degraded sandbox. The demo is okay, but it's not really a demo. While NWN campaign was the tip of the iceberg, the NWN2 campaign shows all the engine is capable of. The city of Neverwinter has a size of an average village with a population of 16 not because the designers were lazy to make it better, but because even with that scarcity the commit file for the game is 1.1gb. 900mb left until memory threshold is met. That's why there are three or four indoor areas per module, houses with walls for doors, and merchants peddling outside. It just saves module memory. So if people think that the OC is rather bland, but the modders will make great modules with large areas, lots of enterable buildings, and quests, and NPCs, and... Well, that ain't happening. The OC really is as good as it gets.

12. NorskiNincompoop Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Gotto agree with the reply here. The guys behind NWN2 have pulled it off nicely before, and made magnificent games like BG/IWD. So why the he** do they turn the NWN-sequel into a consolish click-and-kill ultralinear bash-fest? It makes no sense. Hardcore RPGers cling to ex-BiSers because they're one of the few companies left that make (made(?)) good RPGs. NWN2 reminds me of the BG-games for Playstation.

N.

13. catbert

Media:
    ^ Yeah, it's like they consolized it. Not a surprise, it has KotOR all over it, and KotOR was a console game... Only KotOR wasn't exactly written for the targed audience aged twelve.

NWN2 has no quest redundancy either. I remember how I played Deus Ex half a dozen times just to discover all the ways to complete the main objectives. Now that was game design. If you could think of a way to complete a quest, it was probably possible, and when me and my friends ran through DX for the first time, we all had completely different stories. In NWN2 the most radical difference between how people complete the game seems to be the way they make it into blacklake, bringing a grand total of dramatic variations to two. :bad:

14. Bombur

Just finished it -- the epilogue had to be the worst dramatic voiceover on any game I've ever played. Wrong inflections, wrong pronunciations of names from the game, and just lifeless all the way around. They do seem to have left it open for expansion packages. Dare we hope those won't be developed by Obsidian?

Anyway, I liked the second half much more than the first half. Not so much errand running, interesting workings in the keep, and an exciting final battle with an 8-person party.

I did feel they borrowed too strongly from prior games, though, especially PST...

*****SPOILER********

I mean, for crying out loud, your nemesis is the King of Shadows (a being who is only part of what he used to be, having lost his personhood to the ritual that created him) in the "fortress of shadow," and you can't escape after you kill him.

Also, what's with the sword and the ritual? You spend the whole game trying to recover and rebuild the sword, then risk your life trying to learn a ritual. And you keep getting told you need both the sword and the ritual to beat the King of Shadows. But you don't. Some aspects of the ritual are helpful, but you can beat him without it. And all I ever did with the sword was equip it for the bonuses. Never even tried to hit him with it.

******END SPOILER******

[ November 18, 2006, 19:05: Message edited by: Bombur ]

15. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

I think if the game ended at building up your keep to the end of time, it would've been a better ending... I mean, throw in a few more battles along the way and there ya go. An awesome fortress game. Like a wc3 Tower Defense, but more interactive.

Btw, did anyone ever even SEE the mages you were supposed to protect...?

16. Bombur

I was looking the other way (for obvious reasons), but I think I noticed the occasional projectile spell fly over my shoulder toward the invaders.

17. catbert

Media:
    Played some more...

I don't think I've ever gotten so bored with a game. The orc caves simply spawn the orcs in your way. Not even the discretion to spawn them ahead of behind me so it could look like "reinforcements". The room is cleaned out, I walk out of it, and fifteen orcs appear out of thin air right around me. Hell, even Diablo was more discreet in creating creatures. By the time I kill my five thousandth orc, I entirely forgot why I was killing the orcs, and why should I give a damn about them... Oh, it was to save the emissary... so I could complete Axle's little quest... so I could complete three more of his little quests past that which have nothing to do in relation to my main quest.

Of course, after cutting down hundreds of city watchmen (Neeshka: Let's distract them and sneak past! NG Khelgar: Nonsense, let's salughter them like pigs!) and thugs, it is entirely unbelievable that I would be able to climb over the goddamn Blacklake wall and cause just as much genocide on the other side...But of course.

Basically, the game occupied a few hours of my time with inane hack-n-slash to the point where I forgot about the magnificent plot. Maybe I have the attention span of a fruit fly, or maybe the campaign is really so insipid. I'm betting on the latter.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Catbert - just so I can get some perspective on this:

Which single player CRPGs have you enjoyed playing?

I'm trying to get a feel for how much of your comments relate to the disappointment of what you feel are major backward steps in the progression of the NWN franchise, and how much relate to the standalone dumbness of this particular game.

19. catbert

Media:
    I benchmark this against BG/BG2 mostly, which were similarly linear in their goal, but at the same time were filled with real choice and devoid of glaring plot holes. NWN and IWD2 both win over NWN2 for me as well, since their plot was mostly focused on killing things, and made no pretense of putting any sophisticated intrigue over it.

The pettiness of NWN2's tasks combined with the near divine effort it takes to achieve their solution is, well... stupid. One would think that after single-handedly exterminating the NW city watch and two tribes of orcs that's been harassing the place for generations, I'd be capable of doing things my way. But no... errand boy bonanza ensues for no reason at all other than to keep you busy.

20. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

I'd have to say NWN2 campaign is better than the first still - and I quite like many of the "errand boy" quests.

I'm actually going to have to go out and buy IWD and IWD2 now, because those are the only 2 games between BG and NWN that I have not played yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.