1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Big "How Is It?" Thread

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Death Rabbit, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

BTA seems to be the only person left who is still defending this game. Can BTA save the public opinion from being uniform disappointment? Or are we going to consign NWN2 to the 'Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' bin?

2. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's an okay game, barring all the fixable glitches. But just okay. Neverwinter Nights is a pretty loaded name to bear, that immediately puts the product in the spotlight for a huge number of dedicated fans of NWN who have been playing the original for years, know of all the advantages and shortcomings of the game, and inevitably hope that the sequel will keep the good things and address the bad things. None of those expectations happened.

For a lot of players, this will be an okay game, but for a hardcore NWN fan, it has the feel of a straight to video sequel.

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    This is ridiculous...I now have to look at a game looking like this . And it doesn't even run smoothly indoors.

I haven't played a lot of it yet, so I really shouldn't say it, but this...thing...reminds me a lot of Diablo II for some reason. Or Dungeon Siege. It feels extremely amateuristic. And I don't know about you guys, but the measly little rag of a manual we got here is just despicable.

It's a good thing I bought that Baldur's Gate Saga after all, it seems.

[ November 08, 2006, 23:31: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My NWN1 looks better. And I have a worse computer than you.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I got it today and will be loading it soon...But I have to agree with Chev based on Uytuun's screenshot: NWN1 looks better. I've been playing Wyvern Crown of Cormyr for the last 2 days and it is fantastic!

Depth and realism is awesome. I hope NWN2 wows me when I start it up!

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Surely that's not what the game looks like... that looks cheesier than NWN did!

7. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Oh yes there is! KOTOR1 I liked but KOTOR2 suffered from many of the same problems NWN2 suffers from, and both games are from Obsidian.

The thing is, there were lots of complaints about KOTOR2: the influence system, too many henchmen, too linear, too many damn cut-scenes, a horribly unsatisfying ending. It seems Obsidian just ignored all these critiques and made the same game set in the Forgotten Realms.

Before it's release I was one of the (few) people who were leery about what NWN2 would be like based on Obsidian's track-record, i.e. KOTOR2. I was pretty fed up with all the folks who said "it's going to be awesome! These are the same guys who made Baldur's Gate, Fallout, PS:Torment!" Sure okay, but did you play KOTOR2?

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    After 2 hours of playing, I still can't finish the stupid competitions. For some reason none of the bows or ammo work in the archery test. The graphics are worse than NWN - I'm not surprised Atari is going under.

NWN was a great game! The additions in WCoC makes it better than NWN2 by a long shot. This game has less feats, the cut scenes are annoying and the voice talent is boring...Except for the leftovers from NWN.

Aren't sequel games supposed to add to the experience of the first? I've barely scratched the surface and I am bored to tears. This doesn't feel like DnD - it's like a bad version of the SIMs.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You know those annoyances building up I spoke about? Well, they've boiled over now and I'm pretty pissed off that I wasted £30 of my hard earned Pound Sterling.

I can't take it back, but I'll be selling this on eBay ASAP. I'll probably also replay NWN for the fun of it, just to remind myself that the original, however poor, wasn't as bad as this. I'll probably give the mods and additions a go as well.

10. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Of course, if you have the newest of the new expensive out of the moon system, you can make it look good.

But the least you can expect when you meet the minimum requirements is that there is no lag when you play with everything toned down and in 800x600, but no...it was again laggy like hell indoors.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Catbert does and he gets 16 fps and the game still looks such that I like my NWN1 better (with top settings in 1024*768 on my old budget Celeron 2.4 and GF5900XT). Heck, the way it looks on your screenshots, I really wonder how come you can still have it laggy. BG1 probably looked better and compare requirements (you can even double or triple them if you like, the point still stands). With all the fancy stuff turned off or minimum, and in 800*600, it's just not excusable for the game to run like it does for you.

@Barmy: Daggerford, anyone? ;)

@Sir Fink:

They didn't make BG. They only produced it, some of them. PST they got a good engine for. Same with the IWD series. And I'm not sure they actually did make the Fallout engine and all on their own or if they weren't producers again.

And lack of anti-aliasing... come on. Dear. I remember it from games in 2000...

12. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^ Mm, after a bit of optimisation, I get a nice consistent 30. But then again, I'm simply unwilling to play at less than 1280 and less than full graphic detail in all but shadows (which aren't all that anyways) and most dynamic lights. Having it run at the settings I want it to run gives 15fps. In my book that's unplayable.

Also, anti-aliasing is in, there's an ini hack to turn it on, but then first and foremost it makes the game run slower.

Oh, and if you look at the credits in Fallout2, you'll find a few folks from the Obsidian team in there. There was a time when they had it. :p

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, the tutorial is pretty boring, but that's because they're just trying to show you how to use the interfaces. Once you're done with the tutorial, there's a bit of fun right off when your village gets invaded.

But, it looks like I'm in the minority in liking the game a lot, but then again, I liked KoTOR 2 quite a bit even though there were obvious gaps in the story outside the main quest.

I like the cutscenes, the voice acting seems fine to me, and I love the graphics and lighting.

I can agree that they haven't provided much in the exploration department, which I thought I recalled them saying they were going to do, but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to others.

I haven't had time to play since the past weekend when I reached Neverwinter and the inn, but I'm still looking forward to it this weekend! :)

14. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've decided to let my LG devout Aasimar paladin2/cleric5 (who was on his way to becoming a warpriest) take a rest. I've started over with a CG bully human warlock, and so far am enjoying myself a lot. The warlock will get along with Neeshka and Kelgar a lot better, and I feel like party balance is working out better. My warlock primarily stays back and does his eldritch blast, while Kelgar tanks and Neeshka moves in for sneak attacks. The druid companion should fit in pretty nicely with this group as well.

The other thing that is making this more enjoyable is that I've resolved to accept mediocre graphics settings (I'll lkely be getting a new video card before the end of the year, however). I've turned off water effects, lowered resolution to 1024x768, disabled anisotropic settings (sp?) on my card and in the game and disabled V-Sync on my card. Game doesn't look much better than NWN 1 at the moment, but I'm getting much better FPS and I've never really been a graphics whore anyway. I can still play BG2 and be happy as a clam with the graphics.

There's definitely some enjoyment to be had. Give it a couple more patches and I think there will be a lot of additional polishing and improving to look forward to as well.

15. Harbourboy

This game just sounds like a nightmare.

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, it's not. ;)

17. Harbourboy

Plenty of smart and sensible people here are adamant that the game IS a shocker.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I'd say "nightmare" or "shocker" is an extreme exaggeration. It's a good game and fun to play; it seems it hasn't met up with preconceived expectations for the majority in this thread.

19. catbert

Media:
    Yea, it's not.

All in all, if you want some BG2-style gameplay with a somewhat more simplistic plot, then this is a go, and you'll enjoy it. If you wanted a sequel to NWN with its awesome immersive multiplayer potential, then the game is dreadful.

It's as buggy as anything, but all the serious stuff should be fixed (hope I'm not insane to expect it). I personally haven't encountered any gamebreakers, but many people haven't been so lucky.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Why is the multiplayer potential so poor?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.