1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The BoM item pack (It's out!)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by olimikrig, Sep 22, 2005.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Apparently, invis from items is also safe. Anyway, there's a way of making item effects un-disspellable, isn't there? I'm sure I've been able to sneak up on True-Sighting mages O.K. with Gurke's cloak on. Failing that, there's always SI: Divination...

But a question of balance: the item would (surely) make it impossible to cast spells at the wearer without resorting to auto-spell firing scripts, so is it not a bit too powerful, especially for solo? :hmm: Invisibility + Blur would cut this out, whilst retaining some kind of AC bonus. What say you?

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For now, I'm cutting the line and say we don't take anymore item ideas...
    As it is, with a few ideas I myself still have, the pack consist of 100-110 items, which is already far more than most (if not any) item packs out there...

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

He can't get healed either. :evil:
    Area spells would still have an effect, and of course you can always bypass True Sight by just going to the inventory screen and take-off-put-back-on the helm to reinitiate the Invis. every time it cuts through, but that would just be downright annoying.

Keep in mind also that this is supposed to be a goddess's helmet, and there are a number of abilities that I removed. For example:
    • Mirror Image (renewable at will)
    • Mass Invisibility
    • Sunray
    • Prismatic Spray
    • Mislead
    • Farsight
    • Project Image
    • Power Word, Blind
    • Protection from Energy (100%)
    • False Dawn
    Just about ANY of those is more powerful than the II ability; in fact, the only one that's lower level is MM, which would be infinitely more useful.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Let's call it "The Big Cat's Helmet Of Doom - King Vorpal +22 of Slaying" :D

What a completly random and stupid name...

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But, if permanent improved invis, wiht no chance of being seen, he can be targeted either :hmm: so basically area of effect spell's are the only thing he's vulnerable too... Might be an idea to make it not usable by thieves, since they would be backstabbing all the time wearing this (as a regular helm, which it anyways is, no?).

6. Felinoid

Well, it's not a exactly a normal helmet because it's only usable by bards, but that restriction would mean no backstabbing anyway.

7. The Magpie

Err... What about UAI? Surely that can't be overridden, can it?

8. olimikrig

Media:
    Nope... But, I could script an invisible creature to destroy the helm if any thief puts it on...

EDIT: Or, I could let the deity summon forth, telling the wearer that this helmet was not ment for him/her, and simply just grab it, and disapear :)

9. Felinoid

:doh: I don't suppose there's a way to script it so that the extra abilities only function on a bard, is there?

Or maybe you could make it so that only Haer'Dalis or the PC can wear it. Oh yeah, and Keto.

10. olimikrig

Media:
    @ Fel

Can't be done (not without tons of loopholes, anyways)... Even Bioware didn't make any items only wearable by x and-/or y, but simply put the str, dex, etc requirrements to fit only chars of same class and stats as the NPC. The only option I see, is the one I mentioned above... Which naturally means that if you accidently put it on a thief who has UAI, it will vanish (though I say that if a warning is written, it's peoples own damn fault should they do it :p ).
    However, I don't know fer sure whether this is even possible before I fiddled a wee around with the script (though a chack class trigger must be available. This would, however require the helm to hold a funtion to trigger the summoning of the invis creature, which means that I have to make the invis stuff only work when triggered).

11. Felinoid

:idea: You could set the merchant so that he offered it only if a bard was the "LastTalkedToBy" (as an out-of-store dialog branch) and it would auto-equip itself. Then you make it undroppable. But that would only work if you found a way to keep the abilities from deactivating. :hmm: Or you could weave the II and TS into the Clairvoyance ability so they would all end up being "at will". Activating the helmet's powers, so to speak.

12. olimikrig

Media:
    You know what, I'll just fiddle some around with it, and then get back to you (good idea, btw :) ).

13. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    How goes the great BoM pack? Its been awhile since we heard any news/updates. I just can't supress my enthusiasm anymore and had to ask, sorry :o

14. olimikrig

Media:
    I am working on a little something :p

Well, it goes well. There ain't that much more to do as it is, other than the last steps in the ToB only part of the store...

I'll send the new v. sometime during this week.

15. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I installed this and bion was not found in the adventurers mart... what could I have done wrong?

16. The Magpie

[​IMG] Nothing. The old readme (which shouldn't be in the package) contained the wrong info because the location of Bion was altered from what I was told. I thought Oli had updated it, but never mind. Hopefully he'll see this and make the correction. FYI, Bion is just south of the Circus Tent.

Right, because this is the second time this question has cropped up and oli still hasn't repackaged the right Readme.txt, I'm going to just post the text here:

Boards of Magick item pack (BoM item pack)

Version: 1.0 (Beta!)
    By: Olimikrig (vesterberg@gmail.com), Malovae (jakaatta@hotmail.com) and The Magpie (namarsh@gmail.com)

My aim with this pack is to introduce some items to groups that were somewhat overlooked, without making items that were ridiculously overpowered.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It is IMPERATIVE that you have ToB Installed! If not this mod won't run as it should! Throne of Bhaal adds some specific animations needed for it to run properly.

Also, note that you should start a new game after installation for the store display to work correctly!

If you have any questions or additions concerning items, you should send them to Malovae, if he's not reachable, do so send them to me. Questions concerning the WeiDU coding, faults in installatation or gameplay, should respectively be sent to me (olimikrig: vesterberg@gmail.com). Lastly all dialogue, item descriptions (including background history and errors in the Statistics descriptions - excluding errors as in the item doesn't do what it says, those are sent to Malovae or I) should be sent to me or Magpie. [Not that there are any, of course! - The Magpie]

Installation instructions:

1. Unzip the contents to you BGII main directory (C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA [by default])

2. run Setup-BoM.exe

3. Play the game

Maintaining a clean install:

Prior to installing ANY mod, you should make a BACKUP folder, and within
    it you should place a copy of:

Override folder
    BgMain.exe
    Chitin.Key
    Dialog.tlk
    Baldur.ini

If you ever want to erase all mods, and re-make your clean install,
    then manually delete:

Override folder
    WeiDU.log

and copy

Override folder
    BgMain.exe
    Chitin.Key
    Dialog.tlk
    Baldur.ini
    from your BACKUP folder to your main directory.

FAQs:

Q. Where can I find Taluntain?

A. His apprentice, the Pink Dragon Disciple known as Bion, awaits adventurers with sufficient courage & coin south of Ribald's Adventurer's Mart, near the circus tent. The co-ordinates are: (x=3000, y=2000).

Q. If I annoy Tal, will he stop selling to me?

A. Yes. It's also worth noting that Taluntain will respond negatively to a certain dialog thread, too. As in RL, if you see the words "you're Idiot of the Week!" it's probably all over.

Q. Why are the Boots of Idiot Removal listed as only usable by monks, yet the description says that Elminster used them originally?

A. He is Elminster! Mightiest of all the mighty mages of the realms! Item restrictions are as nothing to him! And we thought it was more appropriate, as only monks have kick attacks enabled in their animations. The actual description is "referenced" [i.e. blatantly stolen] from Slappy's "History of the Boots of Idiot Removal", here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Community/IRC/boots.php

Q. Why is Item X named after person Y?

A. Most of the specific items are named after people who are either Boards of Magick regulars, Moderators, or contributors to the item pack. Oli & I tried to make all the items appropriate to everyone's on-screen persona or posting habits, but there are exceptions. Don't be offended if you feel misrepresented, it's purely unintentional, I assure you. If you'd like to learn more about this fine group of people, sign on to the forums and help us in the putsch toward 10,000 members! I'd also like to add that any "eccentric" spelling and capitalisation in the item names is likely due to members' preferred format for their names, and definitely nothing to do with me making a cock-up. *cough*

Q. Why are there no Vorpal +5 Katanas of Spell Immunity?

A. Because we actually tried to balance the items in this pack. Note that some previous mod/item packs may have given the impression that the word "rebalanced" means the same as "cheesily overpowered". This is, in fact, not the case.

Q. What's the obsession with pink? Are you guys hiding something?

A. Firstly, it takes a *real* man to wear pink. Secondly: yes, but not what you're thinking about. Now go and have a cold shower, and return only when you've dragged your mind out of the gutter.

Credits:

Malovae - Items, testing, dialogue and item corrections, co-author

The Magpie - Second co-author - alpha and Beta testing, corrected grammatical and spelling errors in the English version, and re-wrote any background and description that needed it. [And I make no apology for insisting on "UK English" throughout! Or for adding these asides to Oli's scribblings]

Olimikrig - Coding first and foremost. Items, dialogue, testing. Author and inventor of the BoM Item pack.

The following people should be given credit for great item ides:
    Abdel the Bhaal-Spawn, Kuemper, UCLAParadox, Felinoid, Ofelix, Goli Ironhead, The New Order, Western Paladin, Hard Blunt Stone of Fury, Laiwethel...

Following people should be given credit for testing:
    8people(Octara), Laiwethel, Eldular...

Finally:
    Taluntain, and all the Moderators, Coders and other Staff & philanthropists who have helped make SP the best fan site in cyberspace. This mod is for you guys!

Lastly a note to all you bold & arrogant would-be good-doers:
    - The Magpie [paraphrasing Tal himself]

'Nuff said!

Upcoming version:

- Items, items, items and items! There will not be any script-fiddling or suchlike from here on (fingers crossed!)

- Foreign version: I'm hoping to have a French and German version ready for the next update, although I can't
    promise anything.

- Item descriptions: As things stand now, Magpie hasn't had the time [*cough* playing SoU *cough*] to look that much into correcting grammatical errors and similar. This aspect will NOT be overlooked in the next version, and is top priority!

- Making Tal visitable in the ToB version of the game...

- List of items in the ReadME

- Coloured items!

Links:

http://www.sorcerers.net The best fan site in cyberspace, and
    the where the heart and soul of this pack lies.

http://www.weidu.org Home of WeiDU modding

http://www.clandlan.net/index.php?page=modding/bgiwd/tbgmirror TeamBG tools mirror site

http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~joh/ni/ Home of Near Infinity

http://infexp.sourceforge.net: Home of Infinity Explorer

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oh, and don't forget to start a new game after installing BoM Item Pack.

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Whaaat? Since when do we have to do that?! *sigh*

Oh well, this gives me a perfect excuse to try out my new female-only party :)

19. Felinoid

Well, the rule is that you have to have not yet been to the areas that a mod changes, but considering that you arrive in Waukeen's Promenade promptly at the beginning of Chapter 2, you'll probably have to start a new game. Sorry, but them's the breaks. :roll:

20. The Magpie

Yes, it's unfortunate I know. Caused me a few headaches during testing, I'll tell you that much. However, we didn't have a lot of choice, as we wanted to make the mod accessable thorughout SoA as best we could, so the Promenade is the most logical location. Also, oli's SoA CD3 exploded in his drive, so we couldn't use anywhere on that CD for a location, such as Trademeet, the Umar Hills, Temple district etc. as he wouldn't have been able to test the mod himself! Such locations would have been avoidable if necessary, whilst still reasonably O.K. to access.

Such is the way of modding, I'm afraid. :grr:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.