1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The good of NWN2

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by omnigodly, Nov 6, 2006.

1. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I'm seeing mostly complaints mixed with a few nice statements about the game, so I decided to start a thread that lists the good of the game.

#1 - It's fun. Despite any other issues, it's still very fun.

#2 - The story line gets more compelling as you play more!

#3 - There is a large variety of paths to take. Usually at least 3 - the good the bad and the not so good/bad :p .

#4 - The characters you meet along the way (at least most of them) have depth and make you gain interest in them.

#5 - Deekin shows his ugly kobold face (why is everyone in D&D obsessed with kobolds... for the love of god they suck).

#6 - Being a goody-two-shoes doesn't make you lose out on gold and gear (Thank you sneaky Neeshka).

#7 - If we could organize co-op's between SP members choosing to go rogue/caster/tank/healer... the game would rock (and we could play through it at the hardest difficulty) + someone might remember to save often!!!

Add to this list. Remember - we're listing the good here :) .

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I love all the lighting effects. I was talking to that farmer chick in the Highcliff area, and there was moonlight reflecting or filtering through something that was moving and the effect on the scene was amazing. Like someone standing next to a reflecting pool with blue light reflecting off the ripples in the water onto their face.

I've run across so many instances like that; it's my favorite part of the new engine, and if that's the reason for the high performance requirements, I say great :)

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Forgot to mention I also like the ambiance. The feeling as I'm traveling through Neverwinter at night is amazing. I wish there was a First Person view for me to take as I travelled through the town and checked everything out.

4. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I havent got the game yet but the limited / collectors editions look very nicely put together. I like the idea of Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil boxes with different stuff. Reminds me of Black and White.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The game has Deekin? Cool!

6. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

***Semi-Spoiler 'bout Deekin***

It has him as a merchant in the merchant quarter of NWN2 - I didn't try to grab him as a party member because bards are useless and I'm thouroughly tired of him after SoU+HotU lol... So I'm not 100% sure if you can grab him. But he sells some nice stuff :) .

***End Spoiler***

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, you can't grab him as a follower... but he can fulfill another role for you in the game. /mysterious music plays here.

8. Man_Solo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have to say, so far the story is far from traditional... which is good. And if you're a sorceror
    your destrucitvbe power is unmatched. THe graphics are nice but it's probably the least important thing about the game. (Baldurs gate doesn't reauire DX compatible mega graphics and it's still one of the best games every made) Characters are interesting, and more importantly - get you into loads of fights, a la K.O.T.O.R.

9. Iraelonn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've had the game about a week and I think it's great. I have an older machine that just meets the min specs so I have to run the game on the lowest settings, but I still think the graphics are amazing. I haven't experiences any slow down or choppiness yet. The magic effects are simply beautiful. Khelgar(SP?) is hilarious, my favorite NPC so far.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I may have been a little hasty in my first comments on this game...Over the weekend, I upgraded my RAM from 1.5 GB to 3 GB, and my 128MB Radeon 9800 to a 512MB Radeon x1600 Pro and it improved the game exponentially! I still can't use shadows (they lag my game like crazy for some reason), but overall, the graphics and gameplay are pretty good!

Henchman AI is still weak, but this game is like BG in that you can pause, assign actions to your pcs, then resume.

I'm hoping future patches will give more RP options for players, such as: custom armor, more varied shield selection (they all seem to be brown and boring on my game), and custom weapons.

I'm still wondering how multiplayer would be - I'm having trouble envisioning it. Maybe it's because I've been playing NWN multiplayer for far too long: I just don't see anything beating it.

Oh well, I just picked up Elane outside fort Locke. I'll let you know how it goes...

11. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

I enjoyed The end of Chap2/ Beginning of Chap3 a lot. Crossroad Keep was cool.

12. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Hmm, not so many posts in this thread...

Anyway, there are some good aspects. I do like some of the NPCs, and some of the voice packs, and I like the fact that the camera angle is already "hacked" from NWN1. The level of difficulty is about right -- you don't have to put it on insane to make the fights feel reasonably challenging. And the story actually does become engaging as you progress.

And while there isn't much banter to speak of, there are still some well written and entertaining dialogs. Of course, most of the best banter for the other games was fan-made, so I'm not sure it's fair to criticize NWN2 too sharply. Certainly the discussions in NWN2 far surpass the miserably boring dialog options for IWD and IWD2. Of course, nothing can compare to PST, but this one's not too shabby for an unmodded game.

These are the kinds of reasons that I'm still playing the game, despite all my complaints registered elsewhere.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    One thing I do like are the mass battles - the fight at the beginning with the dwarves and bladelings was pretty cool!!

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sheesh, if they'd get a decent patch or two (those shadows seem more evil than nightcrawlers ;) ) the game does sound like it's gonna be worth the upgrade of my old and trusty "box."

15. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The dialogue is outstanding. I laughed outright at the exchange between Sand and Duncan in Neverwinter -- Sand is exquisite -- Edwin lives again!!! :D

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Edwin never died, heretic!

(I killed him half of my games, yet still he was there. What was that about death being merely a temporary inconvenience for the talented?)

17. Bombur

The mass battles are very cool. I was surprised that my minimum spec computer didn't have any trouble with them. One thing: make sure you set aside enough time to play through that part, since it doesn't really give you a good place to save very often.

****SPOILER****

There's a nice payoff later in the game. You know all those NPC who piss you off that you can't kick out of your party? You know how everyone complains that they can't die? They can. I may just reload and do that again. ;)

18. edorien Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Now i've Finally got it "working", i'll have to say its probably the one of the better rpgs to come out this year. (possibly the best with a few patches)

The dialogues great, although i still feel like killing the bard

19. Bombur

No, not Grobnar! He's a hoot!

There's a great bit of dialog between him and Shandra, when she's exasperated and trying to make sense of a very stressful, frustrating and dangerous situation. Grobnar pops in with his usual gnomish perspective:

S: This is themost bizarre series of events I've ever heard!
    G: Not me.
    S: Not now, Grobnar.
    G: All right.

The voicing in this segment is perfect. :)

Granted, he's a wimp in a fight. But he's got some good songs (legionnaire's march rocks).

20. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I actually think that NWN 2 completly owns the original, based on these reasons:
    1. The graphics have much more feeling. In NWN 1 you had no feel for your character, I don't even remember which face I chose for mine. This is, in my opinion, much better in the sequel. I also thought that the graphics in the original had a complete lack of feeling, especially compared to the Baldur's Gate series. I'm not talking about the technical specs here, rather the feel of the engine.
    2. More races, more prestige classes can't really be bad, can it?
    3. The campaign feels soo much better then NWN:s. Many people seem to think that the games were only made for multiplayer, just because they only play multiplayer. Of course I know that NWN placed much focus upon multiplayer. The sequel, however, seems to put a little more work in the singleplayer campaign, something that I am grateful for. I mean, there are singleplayer games, and there are multiplayer games. Even though NWN was mostly a multiplayer game, it doesn't mean NWN 2 can't be a singleplayer game...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.