1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The identity of the Nameless One

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by jesper898, Nov 21, 2001.

1. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

They are not totally oftopic, they have to do with actions of TNO and maybe his actions could tell us his name/identety.

Well maybe I did expect to much of the game, about some dialogs...

But tell me about Ignus, when did I teach him, I talked to him for hours the first time I played it, but now I can't remember that much..

Yesterday I played Torment again and after talking the FFG I talked to morte, he was talking of several incarnations:

One who was extremly good, and wanted to but him back on the pillar of skulls.

One was mad and thought that Morte was his head, this one ended up under a cariot.

We also know that ther was that Paranoid incarnation, the one that you meet in the fortress.

and than there is the one that teached Ignus.

So there must have been at least 4 incarnations after the practical incarnation. How could Pharod have outlived them all? he was already very old, when the practical incarnation met him! (Like I sayed before)...

[This message has been edited by SleepleSS (edited April 28, 2002).]

2. Buck Caine Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, we will never find out the Nameless Ones name, that's just the way it is. Returning to some quite early posts though, we can still speculate about the original incarnations identity and personal history.'

It is highly unlikely that Incarnation 1 was Vecna or anyone associated with that whole story, those are just fantasies of people who have plowed too deep into ADD-manuals.

There are som insinuations, though, throughout the game.

1. TNO was apparently an extremely powerful mage. He trained Ignus, constructed powerful magical traps in his dungeon and in the Yellow Disc dialouge, it says TNO *knows* there isnĀ“t much he CANNOT do.

2. TNO was probably involved in the Blood War somehow. If you listen to the lectures in the Civic Festhalls, my guess is that they give you plenty of clues to the history of Incarnation 1 and his deeds.

The picture is fortified by the imprisoned fiend in the outlands, who has been working as a recruiter to the Blood Wars. He doesnt remember you exactly, but you remind him of someone. He tells you he recruited humans to work as frontline troops in the blood wars.

Remember the dead contracts the dustmen purchase? As an analogy, the stor of Incarnation 1 probably goes something like that.

It is the classic story of 'Faust'. Incarnation 1 signs a contract that after death, he will go to Baator and fight in the Blood Wars. He gains his reward for it - great magical powers. But Incarnation 1 has a plan - he is going to fool them all!

He is going to become immortal, so that he never has to fullfill his part of the deal. Contacts Ravel, goes through the routine, but, alas - the rest of the story we know.

What do you think?

Another farfetched theory of TNOs name:

TNOs name is actually 'ONE'.

It is so simple: TNO is "The nameless ONE", meaning: ONE not knowing his name.

When you ask people what name you have, most of the alternatives end with ONE: The immortal ONE, and so on! 'The Transcendent ONE', then means the part of ONE which is transcendent - a.k.a. his soul/mortality.

Something to think about!

3. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The good incarnation, who was the original one, said that he wished to become immortal because of the evil he had done. He wished not to be doomed to the fate he put himself in.

4. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Wait, so you guys saying that he must fight in the bloodwar because of a contrackt, but he must also serve in it for the evil things he did. So in that case he has to fight in the blood war TWICE could it be possible that another incarnation that already fight and die in the bloodwar? That that was an incarnation who deicided that he wanted to do what he had promised? I mean thats way FFT has forgotten you, you did serve in the bloodwar, according to the contrackt.

Hmmm now that I wrote this down, it's not making sense anymore, but it was just a thought...

By the way Morte (The human version) did led you to your dead with a lie, thats why he ended up on the pillar. Than he got fried by the practical incarnation, and he floats with you since then, and he is chaotic good :) sorry I wa'nted to make a point but i'm lost in my thoughts right now...
    (Yi-Haaaaaaaaa?)

5. Walker Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Anyone remember Karl Edward Wagner's Kane character? He was immortal, but could be killed, just not age, also had great recouperating powers.

Is there a correlation between the two. Kane was cursed by a god for some great evil (I never learned what it was), most of the thing he did were good. I was wondering if TNO was based upon that character.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Walker, it's certainly possible. All of the theories in this thread are pure speculation.

I doubt that he was anyone particularly special at first, however, in his later incarnations that certainly changed.

7. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

From Lazy Bonzo:
    I know that post is old but...

Those weren't incarnations that made it to the Fortress. They weren't there until the Crystal split you up. The Practical had been there, but it's not as though he's been waiting there since then. They were all inside your mind, and came out when you touched the Crystal after fighting Ignus/Vhailor.
    The first incarnation is one of the three, yet the Fortress did not even exist when he was alive (Ravel tells you she killed him right after making him immortal).

Have I said this before?

8. Kurtz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The 3 incarnations are those strongest in the nameless one's mind, they are those most referred to throughout the rest of the game.

9. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just to clear it all up :D

10. The Transendent One Gems: 1/31

ok i got it i found out how to get his true name:
    1.call up forgoten realms
    2 ask them for his name
    -OR-
    1.do above
    2.they refuse
    3.you sue (I dont know what for but do it anyway)
    4.get good loyar (i cant spell for crap)
    5.nagotiate for name

:yot: ummm... who decided TNO was a man... why not a woman? oh ya and did any one find out who morte REALLY REALLY was when he was alive?

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Unlike the other D&D games, PST does not take place in the Forgotten Realms so I doubt that would help much.

Morte claims that he's the head of Vecna, but that's all we ever find out.

It would be kind of difficult for a woman to walk around dressed like TNO does without attracting a lot of attention.

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Oh by the way, I absolutely LOVE PST :p

I don't know why I hated it at first :confused:

EDIT

Ah this topic is 2 years old I was just a silly Diablo2 hack&slasher then ;)

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would try to achieve immortality to escape serving in the Blood War for eternity.

[ December 22, 2003, 02:41: Message edited by: jesper898 ]

13. The Transendent One Gems: 1/31

LOL your right he should be a man...

And wasn't morte being the head of Vecna all a joke? :confused:

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It was. Morte is as much the head of Vecna as Fall-from-Grace is an angel.

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Hence the reason why I said it was a claim. He says it while trying to impress Grace.

16. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I get the impression that TNO is very old, and his "lifetime" nears infinity, as does the number of incarnations. The story just doesn't care about continuity.
    PS setting is the right place for time travelling, lopps and the like, isn't it? Perhaps TNO had tons of incarnations, while only ten or so years passed form Pharod's perspective.

And one more thing? Aren't the residnets of Sigil petitioners? That would somewhat alter their lifespans and mortality. After all, this setting is one of infinete possibilities...

17. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I personaly think that his incarnations just didn't survive very long before falling to the shadows or reaching the fortress and losing back their memories, hence becoming a new incarnation.

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31

The practical incarnation (The one Pharod met) was not the first incarnation. As I understand it, Practical did his thing a few decades before the story began. Therefore, it's quite possible that the continuity timeline is not as out-of-sorts as you accuse it of being. The seven individuals in the game who had any experience with Practical (Pharod, Da'Kon, Deionarra, Xachariah, Morte, Hamrys, and possibly the Mercykiller) are either dead or extremely old. It is possible that individuals in other planes live longer lives (I've never seen any contradictory information), but even if not, Pharod and Hamrys are easily approaching their centennial by the time you meet them...

19. Iago Gems: 24/31

Hm, have to play the game again, sometime. My fainted memory leaves the impression, that the practical one wasn't a lot of time before. I think practical one, crazy one, 1-2 in between, nameless one. (Or is it even the crazy one, that got killed in the shadows-flashback ?). So, the practical one may be in the range of 10 and some years before. Isn't it possible to guess the approx. time with the lawyer, when you read the testament of Deionarra ? What I am pretty sure of, is, that the practical one had a very long life.

20. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Hamrys was a little boy when the Practical Incarnation had the tomb commissioned... we never get a description of how old he is when we meet him in the game.

Aelwyn met an incarnation matching the description of the Paranoid Incarnation "perhaps no more than fifty years ago." The Paranoid Incarnation killed Finam's father, and Finam says this was "perhaps fifty years ago." That's two different sources saying the Paranoid Incarnation was around 50 years ago, and we know the Practical Incarnation was before the Paranoid Incarnation. Of course, most of the references to the Practical Incarnation make it seem as though he lived not too long ago.

We know there were probably about 3 incarnations between the Paranoid Incarnation and the game starting because of the prophecy in the Paranoid Incarnation's journal about TNO keeping his memories after three more deaths ("He says that only after THREE MORE DEATHS, THREE MORE LIVES will I gain the benefit of keeping my memories"), which happens in the game.
    Also keep in mind that it was the Practical Incarnation who first met Morte, and when you ask Morte how long he's known you he says "Don't know. Ages, I suppose." And Morte describes knowing several incarnations, like the one who tried to put him back onto the Pillar and the one who thought Morte was his skull and eventually got crushed by a cart.

When I was asking Dave Maldonado about some of the memories a while ago he mentioned this;
    "Quite a few of his experiences/memories throughout the game were written for effect and then mooshed together later to be somewhat cohesive, heh."

[ January 01, 2004, 04:30: Message edited by: Platter ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.