1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Portal of Death (Personal)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Nakia, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Warning this is on a subject most of us do not want to face and at times in our lives must face. Read at your own risk.

The Portal of Death

I stand at the Portal of Death. The days grow short and the nights grow long. I looked for my friend and he is not there. He has entered that Portal and I see him only in dreams. ​

I stand at the Portal of Death. It is not time for me to cross but my soul cries out for I can not see, cannot hear, cannot touch. The Portal is closed as solid as steel.​

Life has been good. Life has been hard. Many things I would change if I could but I have lived as I choose and face the Portal unafraid.​

What lies beyond I do not know but though I do not welcome it, do not embrace it I do not fear it. I hold my head high and know I lived as best I could.​

I will not cower, scrape and bow. I will not kneel and beg for a forgiveness for being me. I stand proud, my soul is light and will defeat the feather of Anubis.​

If this life is all that there is my cup has been full and I have drunk deep. I have loved and been loved. I have found and I have lost. ​

I stand at the Portal of Death then I turn my back and walk away. I have things to do. A smile to give to the sad, a voice to speak to the blind. ​

I have no time to wait at the Portal of Death. Sorry, Death, but you will have to find me.​

Probably at my computer posting here or playing a game or posting here at Sorcerers Place. ;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    Runescarred and Caradhras like this.
  2. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

I quite like this. I don't want to analyze your work, so I'll simply say that I respect and agree with your opinion on this topic. A great philosopher once said, "No harm can come to good men." One who has lived their life to the best of their ability has nothing to fear, even in death. If we enter an eternal slumber (aka nothing) we will simply sleep as soundly as we did in life, for we are content with who we are. If we go someplace else, we will continue living (or existing) as we did in life, for we've always lived the best we could.

"Now the hour to part has come. I go to die, you go to live. Which of us goes to the better lot is known to no one, except the god."

Nakia likes this.
  3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Rankir, that is lovely. Thank you so much for sharing that with me.

4. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

My reception of this piece is purely emotional, so - like Rahkir - I do not want to analyze it (which is an extremely rare occurrence! :) ). Your message is beautiful: full of pride, joy, courage. Very inspiring. Reading it was a privilege. Not to mention the last sentence, which was absolutely priceless! :D Thanks for posting this.

Nakia likes this.
  5. Nakia

Media:
    Runescarred, thank you so much. Thank you for not analysing it. I am sure as a literary work it could be improved but it an emotional reaction to recent events in my life and I am primarily interested to the emotional reaction to it. I originally posted it on another site and got either a negative reaction or a mon-reaction. I was told I could post it any where I wanted and knowing the caliber of SP people I figured this was a good spot.

The post is intended positively.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.