1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The SP IWD2 Adventure

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Harbourboy, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK, to carry on the discussion from a previous thread, my new adventure in Icewind Dale 2 is being made featuring characters from Sorcerer's Place.

The first character to start was Harbourboy, a Neutral Good Human Druid. At first he figured he could clear the Targos docks with the help of Summon Nature's Ally I, but he soon realised that that cats and/or rats summoned by that spell are pretty lame, even compared to your average goblin, so he had to resort to his trusty quarterstaff.

After clearing the docks, he ended up running a series of errands around Targos to help prepare the town for a goblin attack. During this, he was joined by Nakia (Chaotic Good Lightfoot Halfling Rogue). Nakia has been a great help by boosting the party's finances through an ability to solicit hassle-free donations from townsfolk. Her most generous donation was from Ned in the Gallowy Trading Post from whom she obtained Ned's Lucky Knucky. Nakia is a deadshot with her sling, due to her natural halfling affinity, sharp reflexes, and hours of training. One day she might be able to find a better quality sling and some nicer bullets. Nakia's other new weapon is a magic dagger that Elytharra made for her using Viera's ghostly tear.

Harbourboy and Nakia know that a big battle is looming and wonder if they have enough power to handle it. They know that their party has no arcane magic and no skilled fighter (although Harbourboy's newly learnt shapeshifting skill might be able to help with this). Maybe they will meet some other willing adventurers soon.

Current status:
    Harbourboy - Druid 5
    Nakia - Rogue 3

Probably won't be able to keep this to four party members. Maybe it will have to be a revolving door with characters coming and going a la BG2.

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yay! Don't forget to pick up a few bottles of speed potion for Nakia. Later on she will make a great scout and decoy but because of the halfling minus to speed she needs those potions.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nakia put too many points in Pick Pocket initially so had none left over for Hide and Move Silently. She'll have to work on that. I've never used Sneak Attack in IWD2 before so looking forward to trying that out.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nakia's hide & move silently talents don't really come into play until Dragon's Eye so you have time. In fact it was at Dragon's Eye that I discovered what an interesting and useful character I had. :) Don't forget the find traps skill that is useful there as I am sure you know.

Of course if you want her to do sneak attack she'll need points in hide & move silently.

5. Harbourboy

Day 10:

Harbourboy and Nakia somehow survived the great goblin attack at the Palisade. Harbourboy's grand plan of using his new spell Call Lightning to fry the attackers fizzled out when it was disrupted in the middle of casting. Must learn to concentrate! Nakia's dead eye bullets helped turn the tide though.

Afterwards, Harbourboy got some cool regenerating armour as a reward from Shawford, along with a shiny new shield. He now feels a bit braver and more well protected when wading into the midst of battle. When resupplying in town (including splashing out on a whizzy new magical sling for Nakia), they met up with a fiery eyed moon elf Silverstar of Selune named Rallymama, who agreed to join them in their quest. Other than the normal benefits of a priestess, Rallymama brings a bit more trivial knowledge to the party so that they don't have to fork out 50gp to identify every single magical item they find.

In the snows of Shaengarne Ford, Nakia's slinging bullets were invaluable in dealing with menacing orcs from the safety of distance, whilst Harbourboy finally managed to get Call Lightning to work properly.

Current status:
    Harbourboy - Druid 6
    Nakia - Rogue 3 / Fighter 1
    Rallymama - Silverstar 2

6. Harbourboy

Day 14:

Tazok and the Broken Tusk Clan are no more. Nakia has developed her stealth skills to the point where she managed to pull off an audacious assassination of an Orc Shaman. Rallymama's confidence is also growing, especially after she found a great new Clenched Fist mace with which to smash Orcs. She is also inspired after a surprise encounter with a fellow Silverstar of Selune named Emma Moonblade, who has lost her, er, moonblade.

The hunt for the moonblade has taken the party to a dank and smelly cave, which seems to be infested with jellies and slime zombies. The old tactics of Call Lightning and slinging bullets don't work here so new plans are called for. Rallymama tried to turn the slime zombies, but too no effect ("too slimey, I guess") so she had to unveil Selune's power in the form of her Moon Motes, which were much more effective.

Without Call Lightning, Harbourboy has had to make more use of Burning Hands and Frost Fingers which also seem to be more particularly effective against the slimey monsters.

"I wish we had more help." pondered Nakia aloud.

Current status:
    Harbourboy - Druid 6 (using Long Sword)
    Nakia - Rogue 4 / Fighter 1 (using Hand of Darkness Sling, or Lareal's Tear dagger)
    Rallymama - Silverstar 3 (using Clenched Fist mace)

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Nice one, HB! :thumb:

Can't wait to see who turns up next...

8. Harbourboy

Day 17:

Whilst exploring the slimey caves, the party turned a corner and bumped into a tall skinny chap coming the other way.

"Who are you?" they asked, weapons at the ready.

The stranger drew himself up his full height and declared:

"I am Chevalier, Knight of the Everfull Chalice!"

"Oooh, a knight!" said Nakia excitedly. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for coffee. A good cup is so hard to find out here."

"Well, we're on a quest to help a lady in distress. Can you help?" asked Nakia.

"Ah, assisting damsels in need is one of my many specialities! How can I say no? Lead on."

Harbourboy was a bit more suspicious of the newcomer. For a starter, this 'knight' had no armour or weapons. He didn't look like he'd be much help at all.

Eventually, they did end up finding the troll who had stolen Emma's sword. That encounter turned out to be their toughest one so far. Harbourboy managed to hold off several orcs but nobody could put a dent in the troll.

"Find that moonblade, Nakia!" shouted Rallymama.

Nakia scooted around the battle and retrieved a glowing sword from the crate the troll appeared to be guarding.

"Who shall I give it to? Hey, maybe I should give to Chevalier!" she suggested.

"No, don't give it to that clown!" yelled Harbourboy over his shoulder, "He'll probably try and drink it. Give it to me, at least I know which end to hold."

Harbourboy was no swordsman but he managed to get a few good hits on the troll. Nakia took out a few orcs from behind. Rallymama helped by lighting the troll with glowing Fairie Fyre, whilst Chevalier's jittery hands barely managed to even notch a single arrow from the bow that Nakia had lent him. Everyone was pretty much on their knees before the vile troll finally collapsed in a heap on the floor. About the only useful thing Chevalier did was to douse the troll in fire to finish the job.

The party staggered out of the cave and returned to Emma. Seeing the elf, the knight stepped forward to say something before Rallymama grabbed him by the collar and pulled him back.

"Don't you say a word. You're so soft, you'll probably end up giving her all our gold. Let me do the talking."

In the end, Emma was so grateful that she ended up giving the moonblade back so that the party could use it to continue their good work. The party proceeded to head further up into the mountain pass and had further encounters with various alpine monsters.

"I wonder what we should do with all these magic scrolls." pondered Nakia. "None of us can read them."

"Ah, give them to me." said Chevalier boldly, "I happen to also be a somewhat skilled practioner of the arcane arts."

Harbourboy rolled his eyes, but was surprised to observe that their new companion actually did seem to know what he was talking about as he demonstrated how to cast some simple spells.

"Hmm,. maybe this clod won't be so useless after all."

Current status:
    Harbourboy - Human - Druid 7
    Nakia - Lightfoot Halfing - Rogue 4 / Fighter 1
    Rallymama - Moon Elf - Silverstar of Selune 4
    Chevalier - Human - Paladin of Mystra 1 / Wizard 1

9. Nakia

Media:
    What fun. Don't forget that Nakia's moral point of view might clash with a Paladin. :) She may like helping people but she also likes helping herself.

Good thing Rallymama did the talking. Too bad you can't have her wield her magic skillets.

10. Harbourboy

This IS fun. Brings a whole new dimension to playing the game, even through the 'boring' bits, as each character has definite quirks, which affect how they approach various situations. Plus, this party is really underpowered in melee abilities and arcane magic at the moment so I have to keep coming up with new tactics - especially as I am playing in insane mode.

Rallymama will be using maces as a proxy for skillets.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

CLEARLY you're forgeting someone ...

I believe he was a drow mage/rogue, quite daring, extremely charismatic and could move with such speed and grace as to elude the human eye. He held spells and arcane abilities that could rival his supreme skill with 2 blades and a hidden arsenal of knives and daggers that could fel any number of enemies around him within an instant. A man so intelligent as to rival the capabilities of Khelben and Elminster. I believe they called him ... $ilvershield! :D

hehe what do you two think :p

12. Harbourboy

Hmmm, if he had speed, charisma, and inteligence, wouldn't he have had really crappy constitution and wisdom and spent half the game being held or stunned?

13. Nakia

Media:
    $ilvershield maybe had high wisdom which is what he would need for arcane casting I think. I get mixed up when it comes to 3.5ed. Come to think up it I get mixed up when it comes to 2ed but not as badly.

For a tank there"s Brallrock. Straight fighter, not too bright butjust point him the right direction. and tell him who to kill.

Or for old times sake, Shalledeth (sp?). A somewhat newer friend is Jex, the half drow with twin scimitars.

For arcane,,, there used to be a green elf on these boards. First person I met here. Scared the living bejuesus out of me. Hid in the shadows for a year. :)

14. Harbourboy

Day 18:

The mountain journey to the Shaenegarne Bridge is proving to be hard work. The party is having real trouble with hordes of Malarite priests and their various animal allies who strike hard and fast – and in large numbers. During one particularly tough fight, Harbourboy had to reluctantly resort to his despised Verbeeg form in a last ditch effort to avoid disaster.

One of the biggest problems is keeping Chevalier safe. His 14 hit points mean he has a short life expectancy in combat and his 10 Dexterity mean he is not much help with his bow and arrow. His one magic missile can always be relied upon to hit its target though. Harbourboy would prefer to send him away on a “special quest” to find some coffee, but Nakia and Rallymama insist that he should stay with the party (mostly because he wouldn’t last five minutes out in the snow by himself…..) Chevalier insists that if they could only find some vodka with which to steel his nerves, then they would see just what a force he could be.

15. Nakia

Media:
    Nakia does have a kind heart beneath that rogue attire. Guess everyone has to have a weak spot. Rallymama is just naturally a motherly type. :)

I love it. Can't wait to see who you pick up next or are you just going to stick to 4?

16. Harbourboy

I have about a dozen great ideas, but I won't be able to use them all. I doubt the party would let anyone else join until at least after they have finished with Shaenegarne Bridge because it would just be too dangerous there for a level one weakling. I'll see how things go for now.

17. Harbourboy

Day 21:

Shaenegarne Bridge has been saved, but only just. This party relies heavily on the casting of buffing spells but were thrown right into the thick of battle as soon as they arrived. And what a battle it was. Harbourboy somehow managed to get off two castings of Call Lightning, which helped immensely, whilst Nakia revelled in the chaos which allowed her to sneak attack those bugbears who were busy chasing poor old Chevalier all over the snow. And Rallymama ended up having to use all her spells as healing versions just to keep everyone alive.

“Boy, do I hate orcs.” sighed Nakia angrily once the battle was over.

“Now, now, Nakia” said Ralllymama gently “Remember that Selune teaches us that we should be more open minded. Bigotry and prejudice is a dark path. Those orcs were evil for what they chose to do, not simply because they were orcs. They probably had difficult childhoods. I blame their parents.”

“Ah”, piped up Chevalier ,“It’s OK to be prejudiced, so long as you’re only prejudiced against evil, especially where that evil is working in opposition ton Mystra’s way .”

“Stupid gods”, muttered Harbourboy, “Let’s get back to Targos.”

Current status:
    Harbourboy – Human – Druid 7
    Nakia – Lightfoot Halfling – Rogue 5 / Fighter 1
    Rallymama – Moon Elf - Silverstar of Selune 4
    Chevalier – Human - Paladin of Mystra 2 / Wizard 1

18. Nakia

Media:
    Nakia smiled politely at Rallymama, rolled her eyes at Chevalier, nodded agreement more or less to Harbourboy and looted every body she could.

Sorry Harbourboy I just can't resist.

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

:lol: Nakia's loving this! :p umm clearly I didn't really care much about my wisdom hehe that's why Chevalier did a great job of looking after me when I wasn't hiding in the shadows waiting to backstab someone to their doom ...

20. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Very entertaining, HB ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.