1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Surge 2 - Interview, Preview and Screenshots

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Apr 21, 2019.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Wccftech has an interview and a preview about The Surge 2. In addition DSOGaming has some screenshots for the game.

[​IMG]

Chris: So the use of nanites carries on and is a core story concept. How has the world changed in gameplay aspects from The Surge? From what I've seen, it seems a lot more open with more directions you can take.

Jan: Yes, it's a city so you expect that you can go to a number of places and not just in a straight line. One thing is the variety, we can show many different environments. You can already see with the forest like park area, we also have some underground areas, a run-down harbour district and places like that. Also, and what's even more important, is we can offer much more variety in terms of gameplay. So what we wanted to do is move away from the linearity in the first one. We did open up the game world in the first one as you played, but there was little reason to go back to previous levels even though we tried to incentivise it a little bit.

This time it's really different. So you have the city centre as your hub of exploration and you can go in whatever direction right from the beginning. You could say "Okay, I want to follow the main quest" or "Let me go explore a little bit", "Where does that lead me?", "Maybe that's too strong for me now" or maybe "Hey, I've found some cool stuff. That will help me in the main quest". However you want to play it, you can take on major tasks in whatever order you want and have different outcomes that affect how you continue playing the game.

[...]

[​IMG]

Another area improved is the actual combat mechanics themselves. Whereas in the original - if memory serves - blocking was limited, though offered options to jump or duck, now you have full directional blocking. Look where the attack will hit you and block in that direction. It makes combat more intuitive and can really help because blocking the right way can knock an enemy back, opening them up for a flurry of strikes. It's all performed in a way that I can't help but like, it's the act of learning an enemies movements and patterns and targeting what benefits you the most - though be warned, chopping off a robots arm won't kill them, they'll just adapt the way they fight.

It all makes for a tense and challenging combat system, combining your requirements for tactical thinking while choosing what to attack, precise movements or at least blocking/dodging because you will get torn into fairly easy and of course the abilities, weapons and armour you bring into battle with you. You can also get a few tips from other players because, in a brand new addition, you have graffiti. Graffiti that you can leave for, or can be left by other players, that seeps through the internet and shows in your game, much like the messages from Souls' titles.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.