1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Things I Never Knew ...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

[​IMG] Sup Y'all!

Now, just like everyone here, I've played BGI more thimes than I can remember! Only problem is, there's some things i could never find out ...

Btw, once my little problems are solved, you can add to this list of things that you could never figure out in BG!

(1) There's a house in Baldur's gate and i'm REALLY sorry that I can't remember which one it was! It was a double storey house that had that sorta purple shade on the bottom ... LOL NEWAYS! There's a cupboard in the top right hand on the bottom floor that I could NEVER open. I must of drank at least 10 potions of master thievery but it said i couldn't open it! Even the knock spell didn't work! :cry: Is this a bug or something more sinister ...

(2) Now, we all know mister Shade, who resides in one of those poor inn's in Baldur's Gate (Sorry I don't remember the exact one eitha! :D ) But what I wanted to know, does he have any purpose other than screwing you around and taking your golden pantaloons if you say the wrong thing???

(3) I read somewhere on here that it was possible to kill Tazok at the Bandit Camp, but I always thought HOW if he stops you after you start whoopin his ass! Is that possible? Oh yeh, does Kivan go into like some sorta rage when he sees him cause it would make sense! :D

So if anyone could help me out with these things it would be appreciated! :D
    Also, if anyone has any similar queries, feel free to add them to tha list!

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The only one I can even geuss at is #3. If you were to stealth/invisible your theif adn backstab him you could theoretically kill him before he stops you.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

LOL i guess in theorey that works! But do you think it's possible to kill him in tha fight without him stopping it?

Oh, and don't worry, i'll fing out the location of that house!

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have been able to backstab some people that "force" talk to you with enough damage that they died before they could talk, but I don't know if you can with someone that central to the plot.

Here is a question to add to the list. Is it possible to kill Shandalar in Ulgoth's Beard? I have tried everything that I can think of, even two, count them, two level fiftyish theives with short swords of backstabbing, backstabbing at the same time. I have never been able to kill him. I was even using Ctrl-R and Ctrl-T, to stay alive and stop his spell effects.

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Even so I guess if it was possible someone would have mentioned it if it was worth anything. Although that cupboard that won't open in that house in BG is REALLY annoying! I wana know what's inside! :D

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can kill Tazok at the Bandit Camp. You just have to shoot him fast enough while he leaves.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

1) Can you give me at least which section? I can search through the houses with IE to see which one has 100 Lock difficulty (making it impossible no matter what) and is actually locked to see what's in it, but the city takes up a third of the total areas in the game so it'd be nice if I could narrow it down. Likely it's just a mistake that they marked it as locked, especially if it's just a cupboard.

2) No, he's just quirky. One of those things like that "tool" Chase in the map where you meet Imoen (and Monty & Xzar). I never seek him out.

3) He has a set hit point total, so yes, he can be killed. I've even killed him before he called it off recently with my "archer" party. The brute couldn't even take a step because he was getting pelted by 12.5 attacks a round. :evil: (BTW, there's a 3600XP difference between killing him while he's still hostile and killing him while he walks away neutral, so it's definitely worth it to try to get him from afar.)

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

What language was that?

9. Fly2tHeSkY

@ Fel,

(1) I'll see if I can play it later before I go out tonight just to check for you because I think I have a saved game somewhere around there. But There's something else I remember: The animation for the "ring" that appears when you put your cursor over the cupboard (or something that opens like a door, chest etc) seemed to not be on the cupboard, ie it was not directly not on top of it as it should be. THAT would mean there's a bug yes? Cause I remember it was only that house and only that cupboard in the top left corner. Therefore now im REALLY confused! :cry:

(2) OMG I loved Chase! He's pathetic and I loved telling him to kill himself! :D

(3) Do you remember what items he dropped ... where they juicy?!!! :D

10. Felinoid

Never mind. If you can't remember, I'll just look through them all. :)

The thing I remember most from killing Tazok was getting a second set of Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise.

EDIT:
    Actually, I found it pretty quick. It's in a house in the north-middle sector, just north of Ramazith's Tower (the left one), and you're right about the areas being off compared to what you see (each cupboard only overlaps with the visible area by half :whoa: ). The hopelessly locked one has nothing in it, while the others each do have something. The wardrobe thing has a set of (non-magical) leather armor and 7 gold pieces, while the other cupboard (down and to the right) has a Potion of Explosions and 23 gold pieces.

I don't usually go into that house, but the Potion of Explosions may drag me in there next time... ;)

[ February 25, 2006, 02:57: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

11. Fly2tHeSkY

HAHAHA! OMG thankyou! I really got annoyed after I couldn't open it! Fel you are now my hero! :D

Well now that everything I needed is solved, it might be a good time for OTHER people to add things in here that they never figured out in BG! :D

12. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Regarding Tazok:

Kivan beeing one of my favorite NPC's i have done tonns of various attempts at killing Tazok. And yeah, as Fel said, he worth alot more XP if you kill him before he goes "blue" again (non hostile).

My favorite is, as always, blindness spell. Main character was thief/illusionist (dual) and i had Tazok chase a fighter around, while i cast blindness on him until he failed a save. After that, you can pelt him with spells and arrows all you want without him attakcing back. Just dont get within sword distance. The spell lasts for ages (and i had 1 ring of wizardy at teh time, so tonns of blindness spells).

Another one is tonns of entangle and hold person spells. works if you can just hold him of for long enough to fail saves.

Or you could do as Fel did and just arrow him.

Close combat won't work, becose he needs to get close to you yo initiate dialogue, so he can go "blue". most of these techniques resolves around him beeing unable to reach you.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

So basically I should attack him like crazy when he's hostile, but when you initiates dialouge again with you and then walks away I should finish him off then?

14. raptor Gems: 16/31

That way you loose all the XP.

You need to KILL him while hes RED. to gain the extra XP, thats teh tricky part he got plenty of hitpoints. And after you take down about half he tries to initiate dialogue (ring is still red), and if he "touches" any one of your characters then he is in dialogue. after that moment he gives crappy xp.

So the trick is to keep him away, and killing him. aka melle is not the way to go. Usually best solved with a combination of amgic and lots of ranged attacks.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Hoooold on! Now I'm confused! So as soon as he tries to initiate dialouge AFTER you've hit him a few times THAT's when you hit him???

Sorry, it's just I'm tired and REALLY confused! :D

16. raptor Gems: 16/31

in short: kill him, without him ever getting the chance to touch you .

arrows and magic (entangle, blindness, web, etc.)

Do not use close combat.

ok?

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Believe it or not but I'm going to ask you another question here ... :lol:

I got what you said above but do you mean before he's had the conversation with you or after the fight and he turns blue again?

Sorry! :D

18. Felinoid

If you do it right, he'll never speak at all and he won't turn blue. If he does get a chance to speak with you and turns blue, then you have to try to kill him quick before he disappears, and even then you'll only get 400XP instead of 4000XP.

Unless you're using Tutu, since the BG2 engine doesn't make an XP distinction between the difficulty of killing a neutral creature and killing a hostile creature. :rolleyes:

19. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

TotSC Globe of Invuln. is buggy, Magic Missile penetrates it. Protect your wizard(s) from his magic.

20. raptor Gems: 16/31

Didn't know that one, knew that you can hit people with your hands through the bubble though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.