1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throne of Bhall

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by toast, Feb 28, 2001.

1. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

From PlanetBG:

Although Interplay has not officially announced BioWare's Baldur's Gate II expansion pack Throne of Bhaal, an ad for it has appeared in April's Computer Gaming World magazine.

[​IMG]

2. toast Gems: 7/31

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yea, we've posted it on the front page.

Bioware is still talking about a "hypothetical expansion" while Interplay is displaying ads for the expansion in magazines.

Gee, I don't know, but I think that Bioware isn't telling us something...

Heh. ;)

4. toast Gems: 7/31

that's what I get for coming straight to the forum page....

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

something tells me if they already have box plans then the expansion is already (at minimum) in thought, so somebody already knows enough of the story line to make a box for it... just my opinion.

6. toast Gems: 7/31

I bet they even have a price set for it too....

how's.... $22.95 sound?

7. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

to low, more like the normal expansion set prices of all games, $29.99

8. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Another thing about the expansion ad. On it there is a reference to playing a Wild Mage. Well if you've looked through the spell list in Shadowkeeper, you'll see many spells that are not in the game, currently. Alot of them work and have some pretty neat effects. One of them actually reduces your casting speed by one. I think that these are the special abilities of the wild mage. In the official FAQ they did say that they would try to implement the wild mage in the original.

9. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Here's something I founded at avault.com:

Thursday, March 1, 2001 - 11:04 am CT
    Baldur's Gate II Add-On Announced
    BLACK ISLE Studios and Bioware together announced plans to develop an expansion to the award-winning Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Titled Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, the add-on expands the game with new locations, high-level spells and powerful new characters. Set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world of Dungeons & Dragons, Throne of Bhaal is the conclusion of the Baldur's Gate legend as gamers fulfill their fate as the child of Bhaal.

Characters can reach up to level 40, made possible with a raised experience cap of eight million points, the highest level in an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons computer game. Also included in the quest are over 40 new high-level spells and abilities. The Character Kit will also be included, allowing gamers to create a powerful new character able to cast spells with unpredictable results. Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal is due to ship summer 2001; gamers will need to own the original Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.

10. toast Gems: 7/31

continued:

Yesterday, BioWare announced that an
    expansion for Baldur's Gate II called Baldur's
    Gate II: Throne of Bhaal is in the works.
    Featuring new locations, spells, and
    characters, the expansion pack will mark the
    surprising final chapter to the Baldur's Gate
    series.

To learn more, we spoke to Alan Miranda,
    BioWare's producer on the expansion pack.
    Here's the Miranda warning.

Daily Radar: Will this be similar to Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, in that it
    won't introduce an entirely new ending to BG II?

Alan Miranda: Well, it will and it won't be.Throne of Bhaal will have two sections
    to it: an add in section, which is similar to Tales of the Sword Coast that inserted
    new areas in the old BG I map, plus, an add in section of a dungeon called
    "Watcher's Keep" that will be inserted into BG II. It's a very large dungeon, larger
    than "Durlag's Tower."

That will be close to half the expansion pack right there. The other half of it will be
    an add-on section with lots of new areas. And that will continue the story after the
    events in BGII to wrap up the Bhaal saga.

DR: How many hours of gameplay would you guess this adds to the series?

AM: That's hard to estimate. There are hardcore players that try to finish up really
    fast, or people like me who are kind of slow. I think we are aiming for a good
    average of around 40 hours.

DR: Will the choices made at the end of BGII, the ones that determine alignment
    and character bonuses, be in effect for the expansion? That is, are players stuck
    with what happened at the end? If not, where will the expansion pick up?

AM: We have several options. You can take your character or your party from BG
    II and import it into the Throne of Bhaal. So the things you mentioned in your
    question will carry over, including romances. So if you had a romance with Aerie, it
    will keep going; we've planned it all and it will keep progressing.

You can also start a new game from scratch in Throne of Bhaal, but of course
    there obviously won't be any save information to carry over there.

DR: Will there be any new monsters added? And since this is possibly going all
    the way up to level 40, what the hell will players be fighting?

"Not included in that list is a new NPC, a really cool one
    that we're not mentioning right now."

AM: We'll have some new villains in the game, focusing around the two sections,
    the "add in," and "add on" sections of the expansion pack. They'll be pretty
    powerful, with some minions who are very powerful as well. We are borrowing
    some creatures from IceWind Dale right into this.

But I think if you are wondering if there are lots of super-duper new powerful
    creatures, there aren't. However, we are scripting some more difficult encounters
    to challenge the upper level players.

DR: Will you be introducing any new NPCs that can join the party?

AM: Well, we have all the NPCs from BG II, so if you're starting from scratch you
    can summon them in. Close to the start of the game you begin in a stronghold
    that sort of resembles the abyss at the end of BG II where you fought Irenicus. So
    it's sort of a representation of yourself as you gain these high-level abilities that
    you would've gained throughout BG II. And one of the first abilities is the ability to
    summon in all these NPCs from BG II.

Not included in that list is a new NPC, a really cool one that we're not mentioning
    right now. But, they he isn't necessarily a new face; you may have seen him in
    past BG games.

DR: Why conclude the series now? We thought it was going to be a trilogy?

AM: Uh, I guess in effect it is a trilogy. You should probably consider this the final
    chapter to that trilogy.

DR: Will any elements of the Third Edition rules be making their way into the
    expansion?

AM: No, it's pretty similar to what we had in BG II, that is, Second Edition rules
    with Third Edition tweaks.

DR:Throughout BG II, the game tells you that you'll be able to export your
    characters to NeverWinter Nights. Will that be the case with 40th level
    characters? Or will they have to lose some experience?

AM: Trent [Oster] is probably the best guy to ask about this. I think it is the case
    that you can import a character, but the actual level may be separated from him
    during the import. I'm not certain on that.

DR: Sound good. Here's the final question. Who would win in a fight, Irenicus or
    Gandalf?

AM: [laughs] That's a tough one. I'd place my bets on Gandalf. He survived a fall
    down a cavern with a Balrog, didn't he? My money's on him.

DR: Good thinking. Thanks for the time, Alan.

AM: My pleasure.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.