1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Torment: Tides of Numenera - Sorcerer's Place Fundraiser

Discussion in 'Torment: Tides of Numenera' started by Taluntain, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Bladezuez likes this.
  2. Bladezuez

Bladezuez I'm normal in my mind; everyone else is crazy! Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    yes thank you... :D

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If we do not hit 1000 bucks by tonight I'll cover the last 75$.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nice going guys, we've reached and surpassed our goal and are at $1150 right now! :thumb:

The donations that have pushed us over $1000 came in from Willie D., olimikrig, Splunge and Tim K.

Going over $1000 will be helpful in securing some extras for the site, so donating is still encouraged until the end of today (April 10th, midnight GMT+2).

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BOOM.

6. Bladezuez

Bladezuez I'm normal in my mind; everyone else is crazy! Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    YAY. :thumb: :clap: great to hear.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :thanks: you, guys. :love: ya. Now I don't need to buy the game. :D and SP gets an NPC. Whoopee!

Bladezuez likes this.
  8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    OK, adding the final donation by AndrĂ¡s T., the total would be $1155. PayPal's fees are about 5% (around $58), so I'm going to cover that, plus raise the total to $1300 with my own donation.

The final sum that we've raised and will be sending to inXile is consequently $1300!

Thanks a bunch to everyone who's donated for making this happen! :thumb:

To start the discussion on what kind of an NPC we should include, I've created a thread about it here, so go tell us your ideas!

I'll be setting up SPS accounts for all donors of $25 or more over the next few days. And just to confirm again, YES, everyone who has donated $25 or more will be getting a digital copy of Torment: Tides of Numenera should they want it!

As far as the achievement icons go, our resident artist has been MIA for a while now, so is there anyone else in the community who could step up and create a Numenera achievement icon in the same style as our other ones?

Nakia and Bladezuez like this.
  9. Bladezuez

Media:
    :grin: yay we did it... it is good to know that people care... and yes I would like my copy please????

Nakia and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Do you mean like the ones (ring and square thingie) below your name? I could probably toss something together that would be comparable and decent if it hasn't been done yet, though I wouldn't aspire to pro heights.

Is it based on anything in particular, like an image from or related to the game and/or its art, or just sort of a generic prize icon type thing? If the latter, any preference as to what it should be?

Also, what are the needed dimensions?

Lastly, if I do one and it sucks, I won't be sad if you say no thanks. ;)

11. Taluntain

Media:
    The ones under "Awards" - gold on black with white border (see under my username for both current ones). We give these out for one-time events like these and the plan was to make them all in the same style. I don't have the psd though, so you'd need to work with the current gifs to get close to the same look. I'd be happy if you gave it a try.

The server one's a bit hard to make out, but it's a golden version of the server box that was used during the server donation drive. The PE one is the ouroboros symbol-ring that was initially in the Project Eternity logo. You get the info about each on mouseover.

For Numenera, I don't think I've seen any such usable symbols yet (or anything small enough from the art to fit the icon), so unless you've got a better idea, maybe a stylized

Code:
    T
      N
    using similar or same fonts as the logo?

http://static.tumblr.com/220d50c5c9.../tumblr_static_tumblr_static_torment-logo.jpg

12. Gaear

Media:
    Okay, will-do. I don't see that the image changes at all when clicked or moused over (on/off type thing), so you only need one image, right?

Montresor and Taluntain like this.
  13. Taluntain

Media:
  14. Gaear

Media:
    Okay, I'm not terribly happy with this but the options are sort of ... limited. Being as the dimensions of the icon as used on the boards are 28 x 28 pixels, I started with a canvas ten times that large so I could see what I was doing. I used the Torment banner thing you (Tal) linked as a reference but there's really not much to go on. The font style is rendered purposeless at 28 x 28, so I just went with a blocky T (and attempted to mimic Ineth's colors and outline). The only other style element I could take away from the pic was the dot in the O thing. So we have this, which looks okay at 280 x 280. (Without the ring thingie btw, it just looks like a high school team sweater letter. ;))

[​IMG]

btw, I did try the T and N as you (Tal) suggested above, but they just looked like a T and N sitting there unhappily together.

So anyway, we reduce this to forum size and it looks more lump-like of course.

[​IMG]

If you like that, cool, if not I'll see what else I can do with it. btw the box itself (everything but the T and the ring) is essentially an exact duplicate of Ineth's, and I have that now in .psd format, so you can have it for future use in case anyone else wants it. They at least wouldn't have to recreate the basics.

---------- Added 0 hours, 17 minutes and 48 seconds later... ----------

Made it a bit more orange and spaced the ring a little.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    May I make a different suggestion? Go to the Torment Kickstarter page and scroll down to the Tides part. See that picture with the 5 Tides (Gold, Silver, Red, Blue and Indigo)? Take that stylized pentagon in the center with the three blade-like extensions at the top and make it gold. BOOM! :)

16. Gaear

Media:
    Okay I will try.

---------- Added 10 hours, 45 minutes and 10 seconds later... ----------

Sorry BTA, that was a wash ... big golden lump. ;)

---------- Added 2 hours, 19 minutes and 22 seconds later... ----------

Tried just a regular pentagram symbol as well, didn't reduce well.

17. Bladezuez

Media:
    Gaear: we have faith in you. I am sure that you can do it. :thumb: :clap:

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks Gaear - it would work if we couldn't come up with any better ideas (just even more golden, to better match Ineth's colour), though I came up with a couple more ideas that might work out better.

One idea would be using the abbreviation T:ToN, starting with the first big T with the stem moved more to the left to make room for the second T (also stem moved left and under the first T), then followed by oN both under the "roof" of the second T. I hope you get what I'm saying, if not, let me know.

The second option that'd likely look better would be using the image BTA suggested and just making an icon out of it. So strip the text, leave the center pentagon and colour the 5 sides. If you want to give it a shot...

19. Gaear

Media:
    Well I tried that with the image from Kickstarter and it just looked like a blob unfortunately. I also used the regular pentagram they have for donation amounts and much the same thing happened. I even made a pentagram of my own, but sadly a five sided polygon just doesn't translate well to 28 x 28 - just looks like a sloppily drawn box basically. :( I can post mock-ups here if you like.

As to the letters idea, I already tried something similar as well (just TON), but again at 28 x 28 the letters get reduced to mush.

It may be that Ineth had some resolution capability that I don't, though I'm using Photoshop as well. (More likely he's just far more skilled. ;))

I'm still trying. In the meantime, keep any ideas coming - I'm all ears.

---------- Added 1 hours, 21 minutes and 30 seconds later... ----------

Okay, sometimes simpler is better. I present to you ... the letter T. ;)

[​IMG]

Of course it's not too hard really to make decently cool-looking icons at a reasonable size. Reduce it to miniature though and we have ... the letter T. I think. ;)

[​IMG]

It may not be terribly exciting, but I think it's better than the first.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  20. Taluntain

Media:
    OK regarding the pentagram, I understand. Working with such small icons is really problematic in terms of getting enough detail on them and still have it all be easily recognizable.

I like the latest version, but I'm not sure if I like it more than the original version. :D What does everyone else think?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.