1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Video Games Price Rise at CNN Money

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Oct 1, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    CNN Money has posted an article on the incoming rise in game prices. Here's a snip:

"There's been a lot of hand wringing going on because of what the cost outlook is for game development for the next set of platforms," said John Taylor, an analyst with Arcadia. " I think there's a growing feeling that in order to build and launch a game you're going to have to start at the $20 million mark - $10 million to build the game and $10 to launch it with a big splash. In order to be able to make any money on that kind of investment, you either have to assume some substantial unit numbers, which are hard to do in the first year or two of a platform's existence, or you've got to raise prices."

Taylor said he expects AAA game prices to jump $10 to $59.95.

Banc of America Securities' Gary Cooper isn't expecting quite as high an increase, but he'd like to see one sooner. In an August analyst note, Cooper called on publishers to raise prices on top-line games to $54.99 or higher by as early as this fall.

Well, I would expect the prices to fall rather than rise, but this was perhaps true when more and more people were buying computers and now it seems that everyone who would have it, already has it. It's not like the arguments are convincing and I'm somewhat inclined to fear that the difference in prices will not be just the difference in costs compared to what was before.

Read the whole thing at CNN Money.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's the ticket - first take out all the extras, then adopt the policy of patching up the games after release instead of proper QA before release, then take out paper manuals from the games (or compress the manuals into a tiny booklet), then replace the game boxes with slim DVD cases you can hardly fit the CDs in (apart from the US, which still gets at least a small box), then put in copy protection which makes running the games a pain / impossible for a large number of people (except for those with illegal copies, ironically), and to top it all, raise the price of the games.

Makes all the sense in the world - if you're the game publisher. Then, of course, all you need to do to add insult to injury is to release regular reports about how the poor gaming industry is losing billions every year because of the nasty pirates. Really, what a surprise. The money-grabbing bastards don't have it nearly hard enough to compensate for all the ways they're screwing legitimate customers over.

[ October 02, 2004, 00:51: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, quit beating around the bush, Tal. If you have an opinion to express, then do so, and stop being so wishy-washy. :p

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's God's own truth. Instead of lowering the prices and making games more accessible (which would also bring piracy down, and generate more profits for them in the long run), they'll rather raise the prices (obviously, as they can't strip down the products themselves any further) and complain about piracy even more. Bloody leeches.

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Don't temp them Tal. If they want to, they'll find away.

But really, I get what you're saying. Everybody except the gaming execs get what you're saying. The question is, how do we (ie the general public) get them (ie the idiots making all of these decisions) see all of this?

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    They obviously know how to increase the piracy rate.

7. chevalier

Media:
    That's because they need it high.

Instead of making it worth buying, which, oh surprise, could make people want to buy it, they prefer to get anti-piracy laws passed and raise the price as high possible. Why bother making the product worthwile if they have such an easy solution at hand?

The way they treat customers is a shame. It's downright insulting. Blatantly recycled paper (and it's not to save rainforests, trust me), thin booklets, crappy cases. It shows they're saving on the target buyer and it's quite insulting, if you ask me. Then the idiotic protections. Pirates and hackers will always find a way around them and it's the legitimate customers who get screwed.

I'm fairly convinced there is a link between copy protection and low (lower and lower) quality of CD media they use. They want you to damage your CD beyond reading and buy a new copy of the game as you're unable to make your rightful back up copy. And, of course, the CD is required to run the game even if all data is on your hard drive, so you'll quite surely damage the CD sooner or later.

The thing with patches is also a downright insult. It's good patches come out when needed, but the product should be tested before selling.

[ October 02, 2004, 03:01: Message edited by: chevalier ]

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

Pardon my naive perspective, but why can't we do anything about this? It just is not fair.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Why can't we do anything about it? Because the gaming market has gone from a small market to a mainstream market ruled by a few giant conglomerates which spit out the majority of the games you see on the shelves. Game buyers today are, for the most part, casual buyers whose only contact with the gaming world is when they come to a store and pick a game off the shelf. They don't know what to expect, have no high expectations, and are therefore satisfied with whatever they get. Only those of us who have been around long enough to see what the gaming industry has come down to see any reason to complain. For the majority, it's just how things are and have been for as long as they can remember.

There's really no easy & effective way of protest that I can think of. Boycotting is one, for example (ever since Ultima IX I'm boycotting EA for example), but one person not buying their games means nothing to them. It'd only be effective if several dozen thousand people banded together and signed a petition to start boycotting publishers who enagage in the practices mentioned above (meaning 95% of them).

The problem with this idea is that the majority of popular games on the market today are published by either EA or Atari, so boycotting both of them alone would mean pretty much giving up gaming. See the dilemma?

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...they've got us between a rock and a hard place, and they know it. That's where all the trouble starts.

Its outrageous, but we can't really do much about it, except shell out the extra bucks.

It DOES suck though.

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

10 Million to launch it with a big splash ?

I don't know how many of the games that I play fall under this category, but I assume this is for crap like Fable that requires a ton of hype to even get off the ground.

I'm hoping that this won't affect PC games as much as console games, because it's easier to jack up the prices to an audience that's considered the lowest denominator and trapped with a simple console rather than one that can just warez games or something. Looks like I'm gonna need to get bittorrent now or something. This news sucks.

Edit: Tal, I completely agree with you about everything. With Gaming as a big market, the conglomerates are ruining everything just as in every other aspect of life. Seriously, with those F***heads at Atari with the rights to DnD, good DnD games are effectively prevented from being made because a good one would be "unprofitable".

Luckily, there are still some good games that aren't rushed out to make the most money possible.
    Prelude to Darkness looks very cool.

12. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

This is one thing I will not stand for, period.
    They raise the price of games, and that is when I stop buying full priced games, period. I'll wait for the price reductions.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I already never buy full-priced games. Can't remember the last time I bought a full priced barnd-new game. The last 6 games I have bought have all been second-hand. There's now way I can afford to pay current brand-new game prices.

14. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, same for me.

15. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I either warez, get freeware games or (as in the case of KotOR) wait for the price reductions. No way i'm paying $60 for a game. We always have higher prices, so that price increase will rise the price to somewhere around $75. That will pretty much mean buying new CD-R's, i can't afford those prices.

16. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

I have patience when it comes to buying new games. Let that idiot who wants his game now pay $60 or $70 for a game, get bored with it, and then sell it to a game store. Then I'll pay half that, or less.

But it will never end like that. As long as there are enough idiots paying full price, then it won't matter what the rest of us do. And that sucks. But I complain, and there is nothing that I know of that I can do.

Anybody else have that 'I want to rip out my hair in frustration' feeling right now?

17. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Freebies

I just downloaded System Shock 2. When good games get too expensive, it's always fun to relive the classics.

18. Taluntain

Media:
  19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Like others, I never buy a game when it first comes out. My main problem is that, given my limited playing time, and given that I seem to use a substantial portion of that time re-playing BG2, I'm always a year or three behind playing the games I want to play. So not only do I save money when I finally get around to buying the games, I also can get by with lower-end hardware (or, if I get something higher end like I recently did, it should last me for quite a while).

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Same here, Splunge. I never need high priced cutting edge hardware because I'm always playing games that are 3-5 years old (e.g. I have spent most of this year playing BG1 and have only just started on BGII - don't need any fancy kit to play those!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.