1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vile game

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Mayfairy, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I just bought this Ruins of Myth Drannor, and waited for two days until I got all the patches, and when I started playing... It was just awful. I'm not so much into graphics, but these were BAD. Really bad. Then the fighting.. I'm not even mentioning it. I played it about 15 minutes and after that it was uninstalled and buried deep in the closet. Don't ever go buying this game. :(

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You should have asked anyone who has an avatar for this Forum about it before buying it. We could have told you where to get a cheaper frizbie.

3. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

I should have, but I thought it would be good because of that D&D license.. But no.. Fortunately I paid only 7 euros for it.

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No matter what you paid for this game, you got ripped off. It makes TOEE look good by comparison.

5. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

'Pools Of Radiance' was a very poor game. I bought for £5; it wasn't even worth that. I installed it, played it for perhaps a couple of hours and removed it. Happily, I'd downloaded a patch so that the uninstaller did not wipe my hard drive (which must go down as the worst bug in any game ever).

6. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

Does removing PoR delete your hard-drive? :o Phew.. fortunately I had patched it.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

With the 1.0 release, if you didn't install the game in the default directory, the uninstaller would delete every file that wasn't locked. Presumably, they coded their own recursive file deletion routine:

1. Delete every file
    2. If no subdirectories, goto step 4
    3. Go into first subdirectory and goto step 1
    4. Move up in the directory tree and delete the directory you've just emptied.

Trouble is, their uninstaller had a nasty habit of starting in C:bad:. Bummer!

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*sigh* We were trying to let the game/forum die a natural death...

Yikes, methinks I missed that bug...

9. Sir Farivald

Sir Farivald The Obsidian Cleric

I bought this game too. It is now buried deep in what I call The Vault. It's a place where the most vile, evil relics I have come across get safely stored in. It's like a bin but cooler. Needless to say I think this game is terrible, despite having great potential.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been playing it for a while. I'm enjoying it, but then again I'm a old diehard D&D player and like dungeon crawls (I even enjoyed the old dungeon hack game).

It's certainly not up to par with BG Saga or PST, but it's still enjoyable. I would rather play something new than replay an old game -- but that's just me.

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i never bought the game

the demo was enough for me :p

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I played PoR2 until the end.

I played the very successful PoR1 before.

PoR2 looks like an improved sequel.

The same turn based combat, but in PoR2 you are not limited to squares and you can see your enemies approaching before combat.A nice feature is that the possible victims of your spells are highlighted before casting.

The only problem is that the game is so incredibly slow. It takes an eternity to get from one dungeon exit to the other and you'll have to wait very long while an enemy zombie moves toward your party during his turn in combat.
    If I had known that there was a mod for this I would have enjoyed the game more.

Another downside is that you level up far too slow after level2, but once you have reached higher levels the game gets better.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.