1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon/choice for fighter/mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Strife, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Yes, it's one of those beat the dead horse topics again. :)

So, I'm planning to make a half-elf, good, fighter/mage, and run him through BGTutu and all the way to ToB, and I can't decide on what weapon proficiencies I'd like him to have.

So far, I think I'll allocate my first 6 points like below, with justifications:

1. 2 points in flails - for the Flail of Ages, bludgeoning and elemental damage
    2. 2 points in axes - for Axe of the Unyielding and Azuredge
    3. 2 points in dual wielding - 3 points feels like a waste for a mere net gain of +2 THAC0

A fighter/mage can reach levels 24/20 (less if in a party), so the maximum number of weapon proficiency points obtainable is 12.

I'm wondering what to do with the remaining 6 points. Long swords and short swords don't appeal to me much, and putting points in scimitar/warhammer seems like a waste just for Belm/Crom.

I was thinking, perhaps putting 2 points each into quarterstaves and two-handed weapon style for the Staff of the Magi.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I know you said you don't like them too much, but there is a lot to be said for the variety of long swords.

The staff of the magi is pretty good, but the damage output isn't especially great, and it makes things harder for your primary mage/sorcerer.

3. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I'd mainly use the Staff of the Magi for its dispel on hit effect. Of course, it'd be a real hassle to keep having to unequip my offhand weapon to use it.

I know there's many great long swords throughout the game, but I don't know.. they just give me a "meh" feeling. Still, they might be worth it just for Daystar, Flametongue, Angurvadal and the Answerer.

Looks like I have to re-consider my stance on the matter..

4. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Since you're going through Tutu, I'd take long swords first, and axes later on. Axes you mentioned will become available a lot later than that big variety of swords. Varscona, for example, is available almost immediately in Tutu.

I don't know if you're going solo or not, but some kind of missile weapon will surely come in handy nevertheless. Although sword/bow-combination is probably is the most usual and/or boring ;) . Putting points to scimitars for Belm only doesn't seem very reasonable, warhammers could be more useful IMO.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Something that hasn't been mentioned yet in favour of long swords is that they tend to have more useful enchantments when wielded off-hand than axes do. Since the majority of your attacks are from the main-hand weapon, it makes sense to have it as FoA. However, the Axe of the Unyielding (and any other like it) feels a bit wasted getting only 1 attack each round. I personally feel a weapon along the lines of the Equaliser (for the mind protection) would actually be more useful. Plus good swords are more plentiful.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I wouldn't choose the starting weapon proficiencies for BG based on weapons you won't get in it.

7. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Hmm, I chose flails and axes simply because of when you get those weapons - Flail of Ages will be just fine until I get the Axe of the Unyielding in late ToB. I didn't really think of what I was going to put in my offhand.. probably the Defender of Easthaven early on, and any other immunity-granting weapon later. I don't really have to put proficiency points into longswords if I'm going to use them in my offhand just for immunities; -2 vs -3 THAC0 seems very negligible IMHO, especially since it'll only ever have one attack per round ever.

Proficiency points spent in axes will allow me to use throwing axes as well, with the strength bonus added to damage, I believe they'll hit harder than arrows or bolts.

kmonster: That's precisely why I didn't consider putting points into katanas at the start. Perhaps they're worth putting some into later though.. You can get magical flails and axes in BGTutu, so I don't think it's too far of a stretch to assign them as starting proficiencies.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  8. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My advice would be not to dual wield, for two reasons. Firstly, if you really are going to put only 2 stars in it, the penalty is significant. Look at it this way: your Flail of Ages will be hitting as if it were +1. Secondly, the greatest benefit of the Azuredge is being able to insta-kill undead at range. Unless you are ok with pausing the game and reshuffling your inventory each and every time you want to make use of it as a throwing weapon, you're better off using a shield. Besides, the nicest set of immunities provided by something you can put in your off hand may well be the Shield of Harmony.

9. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

You're right, truper. Sorry, my earlier post was incorrect, 2 points in dual wielding would give me a 0/-4 penalty, rather than a 0/-2 penalty with 3 points.

Thanks for reminding me about the Shield of Harmony, that is indeed a very nice shield just for the immunities.

10. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hi Strife,
    What weapons for F/M?
    Guess it depends if you want to powerplay or roleplaymore. For powerplay, flails and longswords I would say, and hammers (for crom freyer).
    But then I guess it's really up to you and your preferences. Once I took a F/M and made up some story that he never uses some types of weapons but focuses one type only (If I remember my rule was that he would only use staves and darts). Basically if you roleplay like that it makes it more difficult for sure, but it's pretty fun I thought. Up to you my friend

11. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

As with all things in life, there's rarely a case where you can get your cake and eat it.

I suppose I'll just have to accept that no matter what choices I make, there are going to be trade-offs, and stop thinking about making the "perfect" character, and just play the damn game already. :D

Thanks for all your suggestions, people.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My preference is:

** Short Bow
    ** Staves
    ** Two-handed weapon style
    ** Spears
    then more in short bow. Darts would be good instead of the short bow.

13. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

T2Bruno: are there that many good spears in the game, besides the Impaler, which you get close to the end of ToB, if I'm not mistaken?

And um.. multiclass fighters can only put 2 points in any weapon proficiency, so I don't see how you're going to put "more into short bow"..

14. Truper Gems: 8/31

I think you're confusing the Impaler with Ixil's Spike. You get the Impaler in the Saghuin city. Before the Impaler, you could use the Spear of the Unicorn, from the Druid Grove.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Strife, my mistake. I was also including the possibility of dual class when it clearly not discussed.

Impaler is one of the best weapons in SoA. Before Impaler the Staff of Rhynn would be the weapon of choice for that build. The final shift would be to the staff of the ram in ToB (but I would primarily make the character a missile weapon user).

16. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Truper: you're right.. I meant Ixil's Spike.

T2Bruno: From my limited experience, it seems melee damage is far greater than missile damage. With the number of spells that can protect a fighter/mage in melee.. it seems a waste to build him as a missile weapon user.

In fact, I wouldn't even put points in ranged weapons for a fighter/mage..

17. T2Bruno

Media:
    You have your style and I have mine. I do not put a mage on the front line, not even a fighter/mage. Their specialty is dealing damage from a distance -- a bow is a natural extension of that. It is true that bows are not as dominant in BG2 as they were in BG1, but they can still deal an incredible amount of damage in a round. I primarily use missile weapons in BG2 as disruptors for spellcasters.

18. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31

Veteran

@T2Bruno: To each his own but Fighter/mages are first and foremost front line fighters. They're one of the best tanks in the game alongside blades and barbarians. Protection from magical weapons gives you 24seconds of uninterrupted damage dealing and near immunity to physical damage. then you've got all the other fun spells to boost your combat prowess.

That being said you can have a melee focused fighter/mage deal respectable ranged damage with axes and daggers that can be thrown. i remember seeing a thread sometime back that had a kensai focussed on throwing daggers outperforming an archer in attack and damage. can't remember which dagger though.

I think sword (or axe) and board is a fairly solid approach through all the games: ac is vital in BG1 thanks to the low thac0 everyone has and shields get progressivly better through the games providing immunities.
    axes and longswords provide some of the better weapon choices in bg1 and in bg2 you've got azure edge or axe of the unyielding to 1hit kill most things.
    plus dual wielding can always be picked as and when you need it and the better offhand choices are long swords so nothing is really lost.

Startup:
    2 - Axes
    2 - Longswords

Then dual wielding, warhammers and flails depending on what become available.

19. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

T2Bruno: You have an interesting take on how to play a fighter/mage, perhaps I'll try it out sometime.

Pseudospawn: Thank you for your suggestions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.