1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are good low to mid level spells for a cleric/mage?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Sloty, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Sloty Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What are good low to mid level spells for a cleric/mage?

At which levels does he become powerful?

Also when is the best time to dual over Imoen to a mage?

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    A cleric/mage simply isn't going to become really powerful in melee until you've gotten access to both cleric and mage buffs, and some good weapons.

the 1st level mage spell Armor is good early game when you don't have a good robe/bracers of defense yet.
    you can combine it with the lvl 1 cleroc spell Armor of faith, which gives 5% reduction of melee and magical damage, with an added 5% every 5 levels. (still good at high levels, i.e bg2.)
    Sleep is also useful - any enemy disabled by this won't be attacking you so you can wail away on them while they just lay there unconscious :)

at mage spell lvl 2 you get blur and mirror image, which will help a lot - probably from this point on you should be doing okay in melee range if you keep them up.
    Combine this with the 2nd level cleric spell Draw Upon Holy Might to boost your str/dex/con scores, which is also the only really useful lvl 2 cleric spell.
    the 3rd lvl mage spell haste should boost your melee efforts a bit, but most importantly is the 4th level spell stoneskin. it'll be the spell that keeps you alive, just remember to keep it up :D.
    the best summon available to you is probably the clerics 3rd level animate undead.

remember that you can find 3 x +1 wisdom books in bg1, and one of each +1 to the other stats.
    i made a cleric/mage and was able to roll 91 on my stats during creation, giving my character 17sts/17 dex/15 con, 17 int, 15 wis and 10 charisma.
    meaning i will end up at 18/18/16/18/18/11 at the end of the game.
    Shouldn't take too long during character creation to roll anywhere between 90-95. (i rolled a 93 as well but accidentally skipped over it :p)
    At the XP cap (161,000 XP) you should hit lvl 7 mage/lvl 7 cleric, giving you 1 lvl 4 mage spell and 1 lvl 4 priest spell. if you remove the xp cap you'll be able to hit lvls 9/9 though unless you solo you might not get enough xp to get there.

i wouldn't dual imoen at all to be honest. no matter what you do, she will be dualled in bg2 even if you import a save, but in bg1 she's just much more useful as a pure thief.
    The problem with dualling is that you need to gain a higher level in the 2nd class before the original class is usable again.
    This means you won't be able to raise her in thief levels a lot before dualing because you're just not going to get a lot of levels in just the BG1 + TotSC playthrough. if you dual her to mage at level 6/7, you're probably just going to be able to get her thief levels back before the end part of the game.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. Sloty Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thanks!

But what do you think about dualling her at level 5?
    She has 80 in open locks and 80 in traps...

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, you might as well dual her at 6. she'll need to regain 60000 XP for mage lvl 7 so it should be doable, you might even hit thief 6 mage 8 before the end game.
    that way you can try and get them both as close to 100 as you can which should be enough. i generally keep her a thief and level her in hide in shadows as well so she can sneak, but it's not necessary, since if you dual her to mage you'll probably want to equip her with a sling and keep her in the back anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.