1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What class would you say a ninja is?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's not a ninja, that's a cyborg.

As for the in-game counterpart, it depends on what "ninja" means for you. Realistically looking, a ninja would be an Expert in 3E, but you're probably thinking of something more fantastical. Most (if not all) editions of D&D have offered a Ninja class in splat books (Oriental Adventures, The Complete Ninja Handbook, Complete Adventurer, Ultimate Combat, etc.), so you could look at those and compare them to the standard EE classes. Personally, I'd go for Assassin.

3. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

The Complete Adventurer had a ninja base class and it was pretty much a monk/rogue hybrid. Wisdom boost to AC, reduced sneak attack, and a per-day HIPS ability.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    HIPS = hide in plain sight??

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep, HiPS. I think Pathfinder's ninja is the most well-rounded and interesting variant of the bunch.

6. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
  7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Kensai dual-classed to thief. Could also make a valid case for any of the thief kits, but especially Shadowdancer or Assassin.

8. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    As per the game, BG2:EE, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say some kind of Fighter/Thief. You don't get a much better hybrid of combat and stealth than that. Which is a ninja trademark IMO.

My personal favorite is a multiclass Fighter/Thief, but I suppose it's really a matter of personal preference.

9. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

to me a ninja would be more of a thief/mage since I think the magic fits well for the theme and honestly ninjas are known for the mystique and stealth rather than actual straight up fighting hence why I am not pushing for fighter (unless you are going for a Naruto style ninja in which case maybe monk is an option for a Rock Lee type). Also in P&P I find bard works really well especially in getting close to targets and throwing them off your trail.

10. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I guess I like to think of my ninjas as a type of Batman-similar character, who uses stealth and gadgets, but who will also pound the living daylights out of the villains, usually bare-handed. I'm not sure if that's magical, but to each his own, I guess.

11. Geise Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My idea of a ninja is someone stealthy and reliant on critical strikes and gameplay that rewards well planned and executed attacks. Interesting to read everyone's perspective on "ninja" for sure.

12. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Was gonna reply to this only to realize I did, two years ago, with the same answer I was about to give.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.