1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of my IWD party?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Ineth, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since GOG.com is having a big December auction with (among many others) all the Infinity Engine games 50% off, I decided to get IWD and play it for the first time. I already played IWD2 and BG2.

I google'd for character builds that are popular and considered fun, and based on that and my own roleplaying preferences I assembled this 5-character party:

[​IMG]

What do you think?
    Will I have fun playing this party, or is there something obviously wrong with it?
    Other comments?

(I realize that the weapons wielded in the last three portraits don't match the character builds, maybe I'll have a go at photoshopping them once I start playing...)

PS: I'll play with HoW and TotL and latest patches installed (courtesy of GOG.com), plus the following mods:
    • IWD Fixpack v5 - the way I see it, these Gibberlings Fixpacks are basically the continuation of official patches (which are no longer being released since the developer isn't around anymore).
    • 1ppv4.1.0 - improved colors, images and 3D effects. This is 2012, computers have high-color screens and capable 3D graphics cards now.
    • Widescreen Mod - no-brainer.
    So, pretty vanilla in terms of content which I think makes sense for a first playthrough.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah! No self-respecting Ranger would be caught dead with a sling! ;)

3. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But isn't that the only ranged weapon a Cleric/Ranger multiclass can use?

At least that's how I interpreted the weapons restrictions and multiclass rules.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh I think you are right that a Cleric/Ranger can only use blunt weapons in IWD (though it has been along time since I've played a 2E game). It was just a joke about my thoughts on Rangers :)

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's a good party, well-rounded and should be fun to play. YOu might want to add to the experience by using the IWD NPC mod. It includes:

Nalla -- Human female fighter (set up to dual to druid)
    Koren -- half-elf ranger or cleric/ranger
    Teri -- half-elf fighter/thief (has alternate classes you can choose)
    Severn -- human bard (has alternate classes you can choose)
    Holvir -- human paladin

You get banter and romance with this mod. The only thing to add is a fighter dualled to mage and you're set. If you don't like the rolls or weapon choices just DK in the changes you want.

For your party:

Get ++ in two weapons to start with for all fighter types. For single classed fighter go to at least +++ in each weapon for the +3 to hit and +3 damage before adding a third weapon. Beyond +++ is good if you're just going to specialize in two weapons (axes and long swords would be good). Missile weapons rule for the first part of the game (you've got that well covered). I like to have missile weapon, edged weapon and blunt weapon as the first three weapon proficiencies as there are many creatures that have resistances to one type of weapon.

For a fighter-mage you want to have proficiencies in weapons not normally used by mages (that's a key advantage). Bows are great for duelled mages -- as is the long sword.

Do not give your ranger/cleric a shield unless you need the AC boost (one-handed weapon with no shield gives a ranger an extra attack per round).

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Party looks good. You can make one of the characters have an evil alignment, as there are items that are usable by evil charcters only. It's not necessary, but it broadens your choices. And Bards are awesome.

7. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Keria
    -Solid weapon proficiencies. Large Swords for all-around combat, Great Swords for when you need the reach/extra damage, Throwing Axes as a ranged option. I suggest adding in some sort of blunt weapon-type proficiency at higher levels for variety (many blunt weapons carry unique enchantments, and are particularly effective against undead and constructs).

Lycot
    -It might be a better idea to give her proficiency in slings instead of crossbows, so you won't have to open her inventory and switch weapons manually.

Imril
    -As mentioned above, rangers in IWD get an extra attack when using one-handed weapons so he'll be in melee range most of the time. I'm not sure getting slings is a good idea long-term, clerics can simply cast Spiritual Hammer when they need to engage in ranged combat (and it also gets the bonus attack).

Eldrin
    -There aren't a lot of good spears. You could give him Great Swords or Crossbows, Great Swords because sometimes a good Halberd just won't drop and Crossbows because all the best bows in the game can easily empty an inventory's worth of quivers after a quest or two. Crossbows and bolts (especially Bolts of Lightning) are a solid backup ranged weapon.

Norana
    -Good combat staves are very rare - a lot of them only carry defensive enchantments. You could use the staff-summoning spells though. Along with the suggestions above Great Swords could also be an excellent backup weapon, since a lot of them are guaranteed drops scattered throughout the game. The extra reach also helps a lot at lower levels.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would note that with a 5 man team and only one healer, who is a melee fighter-type, that could be a problem. Why not add a 6th character, also a healer-type. A Fighter/Druid, multi or dual, would fill out the group nicely. XP wise, going with only 5 characters does not gain you a whole lot level wise.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Once the bard hits 11th level he will be the main healer with the war chant of sith.

10. Ineth

Media:
    Looks interesting, but I'll keep it for another playthrough.

Six is too many for me... :)
    In terms of micromanagement, in terms of identifying with each of them on a role-playing level, etc. I enjoyed my mostly 4-char BG2 playthrough, but just a tad more variety wouldn't have hurt. So I'm trying 5 now, maybe it's my magic number... :cool:

Hm, makes sense. How about crossbows?

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    I like bows better -- and there are some awesome ones in the game. You already have a crossbow person.

12. Ineth

Media:
    Paracelsi suggested giving that one a sling instead, though.

So that would leave Crossbow and Bow for the Bard and the Fighter3->Illusionist.
    Any reason the Mage should get the Bow?

13. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Depends. If your intent is to have her use bows as her main weapon then why not. Bows do higher overall damage than crossbows. Just make sure she and the bard have good backup weapons since all the good bows in the game use up arrows at an alarming rate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.