1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What does +6 luck actually do?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 9, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The luck spell says you get +1 to saves, attack rolls, some other stuff.
    Is the luck +6 instead of the normal +1 for the luck spell??
    That's just crazy if that's what it means??

:borg:

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Luck is not a flat bonus, but an adjustment.

For example, if you have +6 luck, and you cast a spell that does 1d10 damage (where the game simulates rolling a 10-sided die) the result of roll is adjusted.
    This means that if you roll a 1, the result is adjusted by 6 making it a 7. But a roll of 10 will stay a 10 because that is the maximum value possible when rolling a d10.

Similarly, luck also adjusts the damage rolls you take downward. For example, when an enemy is rolling a d10 of damage on you and rolls a 10, it will be adjusted by -6, meaning you take only 4 damage.
    However, if the enemy rolls a 1, you still take the 1 point of damage since that is the minimum possibility for that roll. (it's impossible to do -5 damage.)

I agree that the +6 luck bonus you get in story mode is pretty insane - for example, with the fireball spell you roll d6 (six-sided dice) so even if you roll a 1, with the +6 it automatically becomes a 6.
    this means you will always be putting out the maximum damage possible with your fireball spells.

That said, outside of the permanent +6 bonus you get in story mode, there's not a lot of other ways to get luck.
    There's the luck spell, but it only lasts for 3 rounds.
    Similarly, there's the cleric spell chant. while it doesn't actually confer luck, it does give you a +1 bonus on your attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws. (and a -1 penalty to the enemy.)
    However, chant also has a short duration since it only lasts for 5 rounds.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [citation needed]

Luck is the strongest stat in the game, it affects the vast majority of the rolls, but I find it hard to believe it's that far-reaching.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What gives +6 luck in "story mode"?

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, i've done a little testing, and it seems like luck does have an impact, but not quite that big of one.

Here's a comparison between my to hit rolls (and damage) : in the 1st screenshot i am playing on easy difficulty, gaining the +6 to luck.
    [​IMG]

In this second one i am playing with the core rules.

[​IMG]

in both instances i have the same stats (18 all) no buffs from spells or gear, and no proficiency with the dagger i am attacking with.
    It does seem that the damage output is a lot larger on easy mode (even with half being resisted, each hit does 14 damage originally (reduced to 7)
    Also the to hit bonuses are a lot bigger in easy mode, though they seem to diminish more the higher the initial roll is.

Funnily enough in some additional testing i did, i did manage to also score a critical miss, even with the +6 luck, so it seems that luck does nothing for natural 1's.

Easy / Story mode gives all your party members +6 luck by default.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    How come she resists 7 damage if her luck is 6? Kinda odd...

And yeah, crit misses should still be possible even with luck. That's always been my experience.

But yeah, like I said, Luck is the most powerful bonus in the game. Which is why Alora is a crazy good thief.

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Actually, i think the damage resistance does not factor in with the luck bonus, but instead comes from the fact that on easy mode "opponents do half damage against the party"
    I'm guessing this still applies even when party members are attacking each other.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I figured that might be the case.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is that also the case in the original version (non-EE)?

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No, it's a new mode added in SoD. Although, to be frank, I don't really know what the old easy difficulty does. I play on Normal every once in a while when I'm testing mods, but the vast majority of time, I never go below Core.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.