1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What if...just what if...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Death Rabbit, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

2. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Death Rabbit, Arcanum is one of the best RPG's I have ever played! If ToEE turns out anything like it I will love it

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Just a month or so before NWN came out most people were raving about how good the screenshots looked. I went against the current and made a comment that I didn't think they were that great: http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000307#000012
    After the game release a common complaint was that the game looked drab and that everything looked the same.

Also almost every reviewer gave NWN extremely good marks. Considering how mediocre the SP campaing was those reviews were totally misleading. With all the hype the game was supposed to be great and so very few reviewers wanted to take the risk of looking like a fool by saying that it wasn't that great.

Lesson: don't trust the reviewers! They are influenced by hype just as the rest of us.

4. immortal1 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think it should be handled well, the turn based. I think fallout was great as well. This should be really close to the paper dnd game. That is what gets me excited. Lets see how the game play graphis turn out here... anyone know?

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The combat system in Fallout drove me crazy. There were large city-wide battles that broke out on occasion, and I have to say, making your move, then waiting for the other 50 moving units to take thier "turn" was aggravating.

Shoot. Miss. Go get coffee while the computer puts in more play time than you do.

The screenshots of ToEE remind exactly of PoR, to the point where I don't think I'll even pick it up. Lots of fancy lighting effects does not a good game make. I've seen no evidence that the game is anything more than one drawn out turn based fight after the other.

Even if it does have puzzles, riddles or whatever, to distract from the combat, those only hold an entertainment value one time through the game.

6. immortal1 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ArtEChoke

I hear your point loud and clear on fallout. I would make a move and read a book, make a move and read another book. Crazy. I just hope there is more going on than what you listed. I, for one, am a little more interested being a dnd player at a younger age. Would love to get involved by means of rpg if it were closer to the pen/paper. Waiting for info/screen shots loke pretty good to me though, impressed me I must say. I know what you are saying though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.