1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What name do you give your PC?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Think me up a few please Eze :)

I'm hopeless at thinking up names!

2. Vigdis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I tend to go with ancient Scandinavian names.

Vigdis has been my main character in many games (including my Shamaness on everquest).

Male names:

Sigmund, Leif, Gudmund, Ragnar, Sverker, Thorsten.

Female names:

Vigdis (ofcourse), Modgun, Sigrid, Vigrid, Sigyn

etc...

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not the kind of guy who's willing to pick my brain for an extended amount of time to come up with original names. I settle for names that have been used, but are sufficently obscure enough so as to not become outrageous.

I name my evil fighter/thief after Tithian, the scheming templar from Troy Denning's Prism Pentad series (Dark Sun campaign setting).

I used to name my elf fighter/mage after Gildor. But seeing as that's straight from Tolkien, I dropped it.

I now use Valarian. Valarian was the god of hunters and nature from Bard's Tale 3. Sounds elvish enough.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Always depends on alignment, race and class.

My human, elven and half-elven males are often called Elaellur, with Caralcar as a second name if they're good aligned. (iirc, caralcar is quenya or sildarin for 'do good' or benefactor)
    Half Orcs are often Krolm Hrug.
    Waldrick for gnomes or dwarfs, perhaps.

I like Ellende for evil females, pref. spellcasters. Ellende is Dutch for misery.
    Lhyste for female rogues.
    Other females have old dutch or scandinavian names like Hadewych or Garhilde. I often use Seremna, too.

5. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

For dwarves I use Regar or Darlag.

For male elves I use Elvenduil or Elebrindel Aenthiel. For female elves I use Eleanor or Adela.

For female halflings Lidda or Falna.

For male humans Edgar, Benselor, Garald or Egbert. For female humans Laura, Arduil, Edmund.

All names are followed by surnames according to alignment, race and class(Thunderhammer for dwarves, Silverhand for paladins, Lifebringer for good clerics, of Evermeet/Evereska for elves etc. etc.).

6. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31

I like to use names the names of Greek gods for my characters:
    Female Ranger (Artemis goddess of the hunt)
    Male Fighter (Ares god of war)
    Male Cleric (Apollo god of prophecy)

When I want a more exotic name I use characters from Aztec, Indonesian or African mythologies for example:
    Male Mage (Quetzalcoatl the Aztecs' chief god)

Recently I found a website with a name generator that combined elements of names from different sources (including Warhammer and LotR) to make names suitable for different races. Sadly I can't remember the adress but if anyone knows what I'm talking about please email me.

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Surprisingly enough: Uytuun (Izirb) :p

8. Dracuul Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Guess...

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Guess :p

Well, no. In fact chevalier has been used in a game once only IIRC. They go by my first name. One, but not from BG (IWD2) is Arrochir o Nelvarad, which is chevalier des Trois-Tours (the full shape of the old nick) in Sindarin (elven high speech from Tolkien). One got my second name, but, again, it was in MM7, not in BG.

When I create teams and paladins are available, the PC leader is my emanation and the other gentry get some nice names and BIOs (BIOs in my mind only for I am a lazy person ;) ). The names are mostly mediaeval for human first and 'talking' for human last and elven, dwarven etc names from a list or a translator (like thelordoftherings.co.uk). Sometimes non-humans get nicknames in English aka common ;) and even Celtic or just mediaeval human names. I sometimes dabble with Latin or Greek too, and so come names like Sarissa, Sagitta or Flammiger (last name).

11. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

There are hints in the Dan Simpson walkthru on this difficult matter.
    My choices: Gimli, Conan... how original! But I do the custom sounds (by Crom!)

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I follow rules, like dwarves have to have a Norse sounding name, Elves have to have El, Gil, Il, at the beginning of their names and such. I usually try to follow Tolkien because I think his names are great, except for Dwarven names. I don't like his dwarf names.

Birin, or Orin for a Dwarf
    Eretose or Elentil for an Elf
    Delroth or Celdar for a Human
    Fink or Erlel for a Halfling
    Garki or Bofoln for a Gnome
    and I usually use a Human name for a Half-Elf.

13. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you find it hard to think of names, get a good thick mythology reference book. Tolkein's another great source. My female paladin is always named Aerin, after the heroine of Robin McKinley's Hero and the Crown.

Some of my names:
    Female - Jessamine, Laerenile Vinafaen, Wangah Bonecrusher (I may have gotten this somewhere else), Kaena Twilight, Pipsissewa (flower), Trillia, Namari'e (Tolkein), Kellyn Grey, Raederle (Patricia McKillip), Selene Stormshield, Kaelie Strongheart, Blackbird, Advele, Janny Silver, Kaeyla, Jenina Highstar, Lettie Apple, Loa, Rishara

Male - Veichero N'aste, Fari Stormbringer, Vervain (plant), Isylyro (Tolkein), Ke Vega'o, Kaervon, Darien, Sinkere Dusk, Rykard, Requol Bloodfire, Hawkflight

My problem with names is when to stop :)

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've used Keldin DePaara, Keldin Thain, Eqqua Mahalan, Alanna, Orra, Kurzon, Kerik, and a few others.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, and soon I'm going to try Don Archibaldo de Mocca :lol: :shake: ;)

[ September 23, 2003, 00:54: Message edited by: chevalier ]

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm playing through now with 'Owen Melarcor'

Just a name I randomly thought of.

17. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The first name I used was Orion. Aside from being derived from mythology, it's simply Gorion without the G. I usually pick a name pertaining to the class....Mage:Arcanius, Fighter:Wrath...this helps me to keep an eye on things in the dialogue box when I'm playing multi-player alone.

18. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@Vigdis, can you give us some more of these ancient Scandinavian names, I like them much.

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Right here in my hand I have a book on Norse Mythology. Let's see...

Loddfafnir, Aesir, Vanir, Idun, Njord, Skadi, Skirnir, Grimnir, Thrym, Vafthrudnir, Hymir, Hyndla, Hrungnir, Gylfi, Gefion, Harbard, Svipdag, Geirrod, Alvis, Balder, Freyr, Snorri, Kvasir, Fjalar, Galar, Odrorir.

There's tons more where that came from, too.

20. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

depends upon which race i chose....

every race have their special type of names.

Also i try to get the 2nd name to be in the lines of what they are.

Such as for example: Edoran Dreadhunter

or: Ninue Woodwalker

I just use my imagination to come up with names.

Here is a few i have used:ยจ

Jervin Bigbelly
    Grom Bonebreaker
    Ilana Spellflinger
    Arween Trapfoot

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.