1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What REALLY made Torment so great...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by archinos, May 30, 2003.

1. night_hawk Banned

Yeh!! that game rocks!! I really like Trias there! hes my idol!!! hes handsome and goodlooking!! totally a major "the bomb". Oh I havae a secret to tell you. im really tyreal the fallen angel.. hehehe! Dont you think I look cool?Im really a major hottie! yes thats right!!!! im tyrael! hehe joke.

I reallly like to kill the nameless one when he defeated trias because the game just says "game over" whenever i let trias win! aghhh! im so dumb i let myself be killed! but anyways i stole dionarra from him when i returned back to heaven! did i return? whatever!

anyways.. Planescpe torment rocks!!! its way too awesome!! I really like to see more of those PLanescape torment;baldursgate sorta kind of game. Im sick and tired of those 3d games like neverwinternights!(hehe its slow on my PC-P4 1.5ghz and TNT2 cllass card(slow)) I just like maybe the item things.. collecting them in a sorta way. I mean what made diablo II rocked? they made thier users a reason to play thegame! THE ITEMS!! you collect them and you jst want to get all those items like wham!!!! i need to get em' ail in a sorta odd way.. I mean in never winter nights the items sucks bigtime! I dont know why but i dont like the items there!

Btw IM Trias hahaha! the mighty trias NO ONE CAN BE ME unless me! because im the only TRIAS here! haha! And no one will ever get my h0tty-licous babe Fall from grace!!! beware her wings!! there the wings of death that which taints all... whatever. hahaha. oh nowim like squall here saying "whatever" always. grrr. oh got to go! my baby fall from grace is calling me! ooh i like to feel her baatorian blood! ss... haha! well actually i dont know if she controlled me with that awesome succubus kiss! i just like it! try it i dare you! iif you dont die! hahaha! only I trias can kiss her because im an angel! hahah! ok this is getting corny, bye!

It rocked my world!

"endure! in eduring we grow strong!"
    wow im sounding like a planescape torment freakazoid here! anyways goot to go! but im really trias and my woman is fall from grace bye! I would have chosen annah but her fienling blood just gets too hot whenver i kiss her,. one time myy mouth got ...whatever....

l8tr man!

[ September 14, 2003, 22:17: Message edited by: night_hawk ]

2. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

:rolleyes: Tyrael is from diablo, the angel in planescapes is named Trias.

3. night_hawk Banned

[​IMG] :D oohh! heheh! i forgot! im so stupid you know? :cool: IM TRIAS OK? hehehe..

4. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

What REALLY made Torment so great...?

The story of course! I've never participated in such an elaborate piece of art: everything is so detailed and complex, there's no holes in the plot and I just can't overpraise the dialogues! You can talk to all kinds of critters with all kinds of personalities, which is addictively amusing. And Morte...

The other great thing is the liberty of action. In which other game can you pluck your eyes out and replace them? Or get eaten to get some information?

And all this comes to pass in the most crowded and interesting place, Sigil. :) (I'm so happy!)

5. The Transendent One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Heres what I have to say about the game:
    Planescape: Torment was, amzing... the creators started the game interesting and fun and as it progressed there seamed to be a connection between me and the game. I gave orders Via the mouse/keyboard yet at the same time I felt that I was responding to the same commands I gave. I refused to let a member die. Sometimes it was weird, I felt what they felt I chose decisions in the game as if it were my own life. I felt a connection between me and TNO. I was... happy to have gotten my mortality back, resurrect my friends, and pay for the wrong doing that I don't remember.
    Each part of the game seamed to be a game in it own. I searched for a man named Pharod who's name was scared into my back and read to me by a floating skull... Yet I had no other choice... I had no other life and I stuck through the good and the bad to earn my mortality back.
    And my answer to Rivel's question:Emotion

6. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Spoiler Alert: Actually, some parts of the storyline from PS:T has been used in SW:KOTOR!

Here you also don't know about your past, but eventually it turns out that you are the archnemesis of the republic. Wether this turns you back to the dark side or not is then the question.

IMHO that is the game closest to lifting the PS:T heritage!

7. The Transendent One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ya and that has what to do with PS:T???

That's so off topic im gonna do this: :yot:

8. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@The Transendent One, It is has plenty to do with PS:T, same idea of not knowing about one's past. It's not too far off topic either, PS:T = so great that other games plagiarise (loosely anyway) from it.

9. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

You haven't been gaming long if you think the idea of the player's character not knowing about their past is unique to Torment in the slightest. It's actually a cliché.

10. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

But part of what made the use of that cliche great was that they actually dealt with the problems it brought up, rather than just using it as an excuse for generic gameplay.

So much of the game is about your own actions, the choices that create The Nameless One. Who is he really? he's the person you make of him.

11. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I really wanted to hate this game. I mean I REALLY TRUELY wanted to DESPISE this game. The graphics were poor, it wasn't balanced in any way, and combat really didn't exist. As for the story; it was rather short and the climax left me with more questions than answers. Oh, and setting it in Planescape made the game feel very sci-fi-ish, nothing like the traditional fantasy I love so much. And on top of all that it used a radial menu (argggghhhh!).
    And yet I loved the game. For all its holes it was simply brilliant. The voice acting and character development were top-notch for an RPG. Role playing was of prime importance as your actions influenced your alignment. And the story was so original, so rich in its philosophy, and so full of tragedy it was unarguably brilliant. It's a shame we'll never see a sequal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.