1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Would you like to see in the game?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Online' started by Dibbley, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Why couldn't they just put it in the Forgotten Realms though? It's huge enough as is, there is a HUGE fan base - they'll simply sell more.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Eberron is a new setting and it needs exposure. Also, the area D&DO is placed in is not set in stone yet like pretty much everything in FR, so they have more freedom in what to do with it. The whole point of the new setting search was to provide something like FR, but with a twist. Obviously now that they have it, they'll want to use it as much as possible.

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I mean, this is really lol to me.

Druid AND monk :aaa:
    The two classes i play almost exclusively. Either a multiclass (prefered) or a single class (mostly monk). And they're both out of the game as it is. :toofar: :shame:

I say, this game needs some inquisition! :pope:

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Kevin Troop's a wonderful guy. You should read some of the interviews with him, not the usual political PR garbage where you've no idea what's going on.

He has quite directly angered the PvP people by saying there will not be even as much as dueling in DDO. This because DDO does not feature classes that are balanced for 1 on 1 combat, and they've no wish to change that.

Although so many are worried over how DDO will feature instanced dungeons only (at least with great probability), no crafting etc, there is a positive effect in this that many don't see. CoH has showed that when the channels are empty of comments and screams of fat loot, trading, camping for some specific enemy type and whatnot, it increases the immersiveness of the world immensely.

AO, DAoC, and SWG didn't even nearly have the same atmosphere for roleplaying as CoH does. When people have nothing else to do but adventure and fight (and when these two are done well, which is not the case with most of the very repetitive grinding MMO's of today), they begin to have time to create their own fun.

From reading the several interviews, ideas and suggestions in the forums etc, I am becoming more and more convinced that DDO will become something great. Even though I would not agree with all of their ideas, they are going for a genuinely different approach to making a MMO as compared to the rest. And in doing that, they truly are trying to create something innovative. I'm beginning to believe that Turbine really has what it takes to bring DDO to the MMO markets the way it should be.

In the end, only time will tell.

5. mtv_poison Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What i would like to see in this game is almost everything (if not everything) that is featured in the D&D player's handbook and monster manual.I say just put every spell in the game,every weapon,(maybe not every creature),and have the ability to reach level 40.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What I would like to see in the game is NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER of the player's OWN MANUAL SKILLS. You don't see me type in caps often, so you bet I really loathe the idea. It's about the character's DEX score, not the players.

The moment they make anything in the game relative to player's manual ability, it becomes an arcade game, or TPS, i.e. Third Person Stabber (Shooter, Spellcaster).

Next, I want Monks and Druids to be there. I don't care about Monks in a still European-ish setting, but it's up to the player to come up with a convincing background story for that.

No monthly fees and free servers, of course.

No level cap. Not necessarily the presence of monsters with sufficient CR still to grant you kill XP on level 75.

Realistic social structure and appropriate opportunities for advancement. There is no way a potent spellcaster remains an ordinary citizen. There's no way a level 15 Fighter is prodded by rookie guards. There's no way a level 15 Ranger is NOT some kind of elven friend. There's no way a level 15 bard is NOT a celebrity. A level 15 paladin or barbarian is already a legendary hero and especially with appropriate Charisma score, there's no way he isn't widely recognised and revered (or loathed). "My lord" strikes me as more fitting than "you there", so far as being addressed by town guards, inn keepers and petty officers goes. This doesn't mean such benefits should apply automatically even if you disappear underground and come up a couple of years older and 20 levels higher, but even the sheer amount of gold a high-level character typically carries around and the aura of a seasoned adventurer tells volumes. Especially if there's manifest spellcasting or use of advanced feats. I'm ranting on this one because of what I remember from the Baldur's Gate saga and other games.

If we are at social status already, wealth is one important aspect. When you have half a million of gold pieces, you don't go to shops. Shops come to you.

Social ladder is not only about recognition and wealth. Think politics. Whether by election or rise in the ranks or even by means of intrigue, you're bound to gain some considerable influence if only you care to reach for it.

What next... It would be nice to see some romance, but there's some danger here. It's not like there's going to be a romance writer of a DM running an NPC for you, but perhaps a kind of a romance engine with a more or less intelligent AI system of lovetalks could do. It can be left up to the players altogether, of course, but let's better not turn the game into a cyber scene. There's already been enough trouble with romantically involved people roleplaying romance with someone else than they are romancing in real life. Perhaps romance bits aren't so necessary after all...

Opportunities to use skills and feats you have. Doesn't mean that the game should be adjusted to your character, but simply that there shouldn't be any useless character development options in the game.

7. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't think you should get a million gold. What I mean is that in games, you get too much gold and prices are too high. What happend to silver and copper anyway? In the D&D settings, 1 gold can get you a meal, a couple nights at an inn and quite a few ales. You shouldn't have to pay 50 000 gold for an item. No adventurer can carry that much, no adventurer can afford that(well, unless they killed a dragon), no adventurer can carry a dragon's horde on them, and so on. Make the curreny properly.

As for other anything else I'd like to see, view the other wish lists on the other unreleased games.

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sorry to disappoint Chev, but they already announced twitch combat. At that point my interest in the game waned to nill. It's DnD for god sakes.

They are planning on having hot keys for all the feats which must be memorized by the players, and all abilities and feats are being converted to a real-time ruleset.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, they have announced that if you're physically (manually) able to dodge it, your character will dodge it. This relies on your manual dexterity, not even your own hypothetical AC score, which is obvious metagaming. As such, I already hate the game and I'm not going to reconsider until I know the proper role of character stats has been restored.

10. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I don't know if I could play any kind of rpg in real time _without_ a pause button...
    wait a second... what's this about manual dodging? uh oh this is starting to go downhill....

another thing I'd LOVE to see is...
    Mithral Armor... I love Mithral armor. max dex bonus +2 -3 armor check penalty... now that's light armor.
    I'll take a rogue with a mithril chain shirt anyday. or even an elven fighter with mithral breastplate. I just hope they have the correct stats for the armor.. unlike nwn who forgot to include chain shirts and just had "chainmail"

[ January 25, 2005, 01:27: Message edited by: Viper3220 ]

11. Gromhold Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm all for a D&D MMORPG....I've played several MMORPG's. Just please! DO NOT MAKE IT LIKRE ALL OTHER MMORPG'S. Other mmorpg's screw melee classes over and make them nothing but meatshields that are reliant on group and cannot survive on their own. I like the idea of being able to adventure on your own. And in all the D&D games I've played, fighter types can survive on their own and are true warriors. Everquest and other such games take the most skilled classes at melee combat and make them unskilled totally dependant meatshields,,,,I'm tired of my warrior being a meatshield and not a skilled melee'er.

12. Donkey Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

So...How many classes will be there?Will it be there also prestige classes and the abilities to raise your stats as you like?

And don't tell that there will be just humans,orcs,elves,dark elves and dwarfs from races without any sub-categories. (I would love to be an aisimar or a wood-elf archer for example)...

Why not at some at some point of the game become an epic character or turn into a lich when playing as a wizard...?Of courses these stuff shouldn't happen very easy...

And will you have teh ability to chose your own feats or would they be standard?

After all....we are talking about D&D!!!

@ Taluntain: Isn't Lineage considered to be an RPG game???Why not having a forum and other "good" stuff about it?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Uh, SP only covers (A)D&D games. That it ain't. But you're free to discuss it in The Playground forum.

14. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Besides, what "good" stuff was there with Lineage 2? Uggh, that game turned me off from MMos totally.

In a belated attempt to put this post on topic, I'll add that I really am looking forward to DDO. Personally, I like the way they're planning to have combat. It seems like it'll be a nice combination of stat based and skill based combat. It hardly looks like a twitch based game to me.

And hey, if you don't have the reflexes to be dodging everything yourself, just play a heavy armor guy and let your Ac do the talking. Or a mage or arcer so you aren't being attacked so much.

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I like what they're doing with the game. A standard approach guarantees mediocracy, D&D fans would buy it, try it, see it's like every other MMORPG and is just exploiting D&D name and toss it aside. People without D&D experiences would try it, see there arent all that many people playing it and go back to World of Warcraft/Lineage 2/etc.

The player skill based combat is a great idea IMO. The tricky part, and the part that will play 90% of the result is the implementation of it, because the line between an action game with D&D rules and an interactive D&D combat is a thin one. If the balance was struck though, it would rock!

I would much rather see a more player based skill than a boring repetitive combat. I play WoW a lot, and it sure becomes boring when all you're using are those 4 spells, and even those in a set pattern. There even exist bots that you run, and they just keep your character going around and killing monsters in a pattern.
    This is a completely misguided approach, that will be avoided by D&D online and for that i'm thankful.

About the PvP combat. Myself, i welcome the decision warmly. It takes away the artificial balancing of the classes. Uniqueness of a class should definitely not be affected by it's weakness against another. As it was said before, it's much better to have PvM made awsome than to do both halfhearted.
    On the other hand, you cannot roleplay as one might wish with this restriction. If i'm a paladin of lathander and i see an evil player lich, will i just walk by?

Anyways, based on the interviews i've read, i have some faith in the developers, they do seem to have clear idea of what they want to do.

16. Donkey Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

so...when will it be released?? Any exact date please? And....u will have to pay a monthly fee to play at official servers...right?

And....it should be difficult to play solo....right? Like in D&D....u should always travel with a party.......Well.....I don't have a clue how the game wil look like....I am confused...

About Lineage: The game really sucks!!! Standar scores at sklls for each skill......few and stupid quests of the style:go kill and bring me that....Nothing to do with real RPG's.BUT it's the only MMO online....along with MU and Warcraft.... :mad: :mad: I just can't wait any longer for the release of D&D online..I just hope it won't be a failure...

17. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'd like to see a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.