1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the best powergaming party/PC?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I've beaten this game many times, and everytime I've had my eye on importing the character into BG2 and going the whole way with him/her.

If you throw BG2 out of the equation, what's the best protagonist and party you can think of?

Assume TotSC installed...

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Best is a debatable question, but I've found that nothing beats my archer party.

Elf fighter
    Imoen
    Kivan
    Khalid
    Jaheira (using darts)
    Kagain (using the Crossbow of Speed, purchased with the proceeds from the RoW)

So many attacks a round from a distance and nobody can touch you. :cool: I even got it synchronized perfectly against Tazok at the Bandit Camp so that he couldn't even move with all the thunk-thunk-thunk that was going on. :evil:

Traditional powergaming calls for individual NPCs, though. Minsc, Kagain, Viconia, and Edwin of course, with Imoen for thief skills. Two tanks, a mage, a cleric, and a thief means your PC can be just about anything. I believe you can get Minsc and Edwin by taking Edwin first, killing Dynaheir, and then grabbing Minsc, but I can't say for sure. If Minsc isn't available, Coran can kick some a$$ too.

3. Klorox

I like the way you think, Fel. I was considering archers to be the best way to go as well, and nobody beats an Elven Fighter in that respect (or, an Elven Ranger with the Archer kit if you have Tutu, which I do not).

My idea was this:

Elf Fighter
    Coran
    Kivan
    Imoen T5/Conjuror
    Jaheira
    Khalid (axe)

A little light on healing, but who needs healing with this party?

4. Felinoid

:lol: I like the way you think too. And since we're sharing, my stealth party was going to be a major a$$-kicker too but I let it go due to how weak they were at the beginning. The basic premise was that everyone in the party could stealth.

Elven F/T
    Imoen
    Montaron
    Kivan
    Coran
    Safana

The concept behind this one-combat-round party was that Kivan would come out of stealth first and shoot from a distance. Then the other five optimally positioned characters backstab the enemies as they turn. :evil: But the real problem is getting the stealth skills up; it takes so long with six characters. It might work at BG2 levels, but then it's not such a great strategy. :( It probably would have worked better if I'd GKed all their points into stealth. *shrug*

No need whatsoever. Especially when you can carry around portable HPs in the form of Goodberries. :D

A little suggestion, though: Don't go with Khalid and throwing axes. 15 STR doesn't give you enough carrying capacity for the stock of axes you'll need. Better to go with the Crossbow of Speed or a bow instead for the extra attack and light weight.

5. Klorox

Well Khalid would use a bow at the beginning, and wouldn't use axes until he got that enchanted returning axe.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Human fighter6/cleric8
    Yeslick
    Quayle
    Tiax
    Branwen
    Viconia

You can summon hundreds of skeletons (45 in one single round !!!) and you even have a mage for identifying and haste spells and a thief.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The best powergaming party is one you make yourself (in multiplayer) -- no weaknesses.

For a straight single player game:

The game is really slanted toward good. The heroes discount allows you to acquire better equipment earlier. The game also really favors missile weapons. So your initial party is really good:

Protagonist: Elf, fighter, *** in bows
    Kivan
    Coran
    Imoen, dualed to Mage when you get Coran

Here's where we part ways...

Yeslick (an excellent fighter)
    Dynaheir (two fireballs is better than one).

8. Felinoid

I'd say fighter7/cleric8 for the extra half-attack, or just an MC F/C. But yeah, Animate Dead is pretty powerful as a priest spell. (And next to useless as a wizard spell; in regular 2e, the wizard spell takes a full five rounds to cast! :eek: )

EDIT:
    An MP party, eh? Well, I'd still take Edwin because of his amulet, and of course I'm tempted to take Viconia for the MR and the easy rep management. Hmm...

-Human Paladin: Uber-tank with a long sword (Varscona) and shield, throwing axes for ranged. Also party leader with his 18 CHA.
    -Elven Fighter: Two-handed swords (Spider's Bane) and a big-a$$ bow
    -Half-elven F/D or Human F->D: Another uber-tank with a scimitar (picked from Drizzt) and shield, darts for ranged. If you thought Jaheira was good... :eek:
    -Edwin or Human Thief->Conjuror: [Stealth Fireballs = free damage] vs. [even more Fireballs w/ amulet] ... hard to choose. The T->C could use a short bow, as well.
    -Viconia or F/C: Third uber-tank with a warhammer (Bassilus's) and shield, naturally a sling for ranged. Viconia would need the GoOP, but who else are you going to give them to?
    -Dwarven F/T: With the Book of CON he can replace Kagain and then some. Probably a short sword (of Backstabbing, for backstabbing) and a crossbow (of Speed) or short bow, depending on the Edwin dilemma. Could also be an elf instead of a dwarf if you go with a dwarven F/C instead of Viconia, since the F/C would get the book.

[ January 24, 2006, 22:54: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You cannot get a fighter7/cleric8 without cheating (XP Cap remover).

10. Felinoid

@kmonster:
    I wasn't aware that the XP cap counted XP previous to the dual, but the real cap is how much XP you can get in the game. I've found that with TotSC you can get about 1.1millionXP, which boils down to less than 170K apiece for six characters. So that even makes a Fighter7/Cleric8 impossible too, but in that case I'd go with Fighter3/Clericx because you don't really need the extra proficiency point and you can get your Fighter levels back quicker. Then again, there's THAC0... Bah, nevermind. :shake:

11. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i'm starting to wander.. what's the weakest party you can make, with a decent pc.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Human thief
    Safana
    Skie
    Alora
    Imoen
    Shar-Teel dualed to thief at level2

13. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Most powerful party I found is the following.

PC - Warrior
    Minsc
    Jaheria
    Viconcia
    Edwin
    Imoen

I think this group offers the most power gaming. You have 5 characters who are very capable with missile weapons. You have 3 characters who can summon monsters and provide offensive and defensive magic, it would be 4 if you duel Imoen into a mage. You have four tanks who would all have fairly low ACs. And you have Edwin extra spells that you don't get from any other mage. This group was very powerful. Saverok fell very quickly to this group. Edwin, Imoen, Viconcia, and Jahera all used summon spells after Imoen disarmed all the traps. than Imoen used a wand of summoning to bring out final support. Minsc and Abdel, who was a ranger, used missile weapons to attack Saverok. Jaheria and Viconcia used melee attacks on the mages, which were very effective when one is equipped with the GoOP and the other has a scimitar +3. Edwin would use his MM spell which he had roughly 20+ to attack any one else. Imoen would use her bow and the wand of summoning to keep monsters on the field. Edwin every now and than would summon additional monters. Very quick and easy fight. Not only that but the whole game was easy once this group was assembled. The mines only took me about 20 minutes if that. This is a very over powered group. The only issue I had with this group is as followed...

Viconcia - lack of HP, the extra +2 per a level would help her out.

Imoen - If duel this is where you have to plan it your travels till she pass her thief level. It sucked not being able to remove traps. Poor Abdel and Minsc got bombarded with MM or FB. But once she got her thieving skills back it was a whole new ball game. I also have to say that her dual is good way to give her extra HP.

Minsc - If his Dex and Con was 16 he would be a better character, but with them only being 15 you do have to watch his HP and provide him with the best armor available.

Jaheria - You only get to give her one set of gaunlets either Dex or GoOP. I gave her the Dex because it lowered her AC and it allowed me to give the gaunlets to Viconcia, who needed them more.

Edwin - My only gripe with this guy is his Dex sucks. He has great HP for a mage and great spell ability. But he needs a at least a 16 Dex. I would give him the gaunlets of Dex but instead I gave him the Bracers of AC 7. If needed he cast shield or armor. His job after all is to provide offensive magic attack, not physical.

Over all though this group is one not to mess with. I did not have to reload my game once. It was a very easy flight from Candlekeep.

14. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

so trying this

15. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Archery is king in BG1, so giving everyone in your BG1 party a missile weapon is a no-brainer.

If you're looking to export to BG2 on up to TOB, you'll be better off with a human fighter for dualling, obviously. The R/C isn't a bad choice either. If you're going to be an elf, you should be taking advantage of multiclassing, and multiclassing isn't necessarily the path to sheer unadulterated power from BG1 on up to TOB.

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Any party can be powerful enough, so long as you know how to handle them properly ...

Half Elven Fighter/Thief
    Edwin
    Vicconia or Jaheria
    Coran or Kivan
    Imoen
    Kaigin or someone tankishly evil

This is a nice combo I usually like to use which can be VERY powerful in the later stages! :D

17. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

human fighter
    kivan
    imoen (dual to mage as soon as possible)
    coran
    branwen (could use viconia instead)
    Ajantis.

am i the only person who put ajantis on their list?? he's a powerful tank plus his abilities (lay on hands) are really usefull...

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

No, I'd say that Aj is the best of the tanks (bar Korgan) with the DEX Bracers. PfE is a pretty handy ability (on-tap -2 to AC - not too shabby!), and Lay on Hands is a godsend (pun intended ;) ) at higher levels. Though I'd say an LG Elven fighter is the ultimate "cookie-cutter" PC in BG1, for the +1 Swords and Bows THAC0 and 19 DEX (a further +1 THAC0 with bows). 18/00 STR if you can get it, not that it matters by end-game.

The theme may not be explicitly powergaming, but an all-elf party would be pretty kick-ass:
    • PC (LG Elf fighter, as discussed)
    • Kivan
    • Coran
    • Xan
    • Then... either Viconia or Jaheira & Khalid, depending on which of Drow or Half-elves you find hardest to justify. ;)

19. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I threw Ajantis out of my party when he failed to defeat Shar-Teel in three tries. Pathetic. At that point he had earned 1 per cent of the total XP in the party. Also pathetic.

20. Gastong Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

tanks dont really need str, they need dex and con

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.