1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Not going to, Shakespeare wasn't such a good writer anyway :D

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Jim Butcher - Academ's Fury. The Dresden books are MUCH better.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ben Bova - The Immortality Factor. An interesting look at his views of scientific research and the resistance it gets from the ignorant, and the political and religious leadership; and also the difficulties encountered due simply to emotions, egos and corporate politics. The research in this case is into in vivo tissue regeneration.

4. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

WARNING ! Life after war series by Angela White

Just finished the first 3 books of the Life After War Series. Good series with great character development that continued throughout all three books. The first book entitled The Survivors draws you in and keeps your attention. The second book On the Road continues to develop the story and characters. The third book Safe Haven continues the story but with 96% thru I wondered how the author was going to be able to wind up the story in the remaining few pages. What a shock that the story JUST stopped. The Next Book ISN'T GOING TO BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 12 20 2012. What a bummer...:mad:

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Finished A Dance of Dragons, then I read A meassure of Magic (new one from Terry Brooks). Now I am reading The Bear. The third book in a trilogy by R.A.Salvatore. Waiting for the next Drizzt book to arrive in the mail as well.

Thinking about starting to read Steven Erikson. Does anyone recomend him?

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, yes I do.

7. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Hehe, I just started A Dance of dragons myself. In general, did you like it? One of the things that frustrated me with the previous books is Martin's tendency to go round and round and round with his characters with nothing ever really happening for chapters at a time (he could easily have cut half of Feast for Crows IMO). Is Dance of Dragons the same?

Yeah, I recommend Erikson. I read the first three books and was hooked. I took a break to read Feast for crows and Dance of Dragons, but soon as I'm done, I'm going back into Erikson. It's a little it's confusing. His world is new the races, the magic, the rules, all of this is new and he doesn't explain a bit of it. You have to hang on and make an effort to understand. My only criticism is that not only the subject is confusing, but his writing style too. I don't know about other posters here, but I frequently have to go back a few paragraph because I don't understand what just happened. But all in all, I really enjoyed the books.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Something Russian: Sergej Lukjanenko The title is:Nochnoy Dozor. (Night Watch).

9. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I've read through most of Rock the Casbah and I'm now reading All the Devils are Here and I may follow up with The Merchants of Doubt.

10. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I watched the Nightwatch movie friday night! I didn't really like it, but I guess the book is probably better... :)

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So far it is fine. Not great but fine.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Triactus. A Dance of Dragons is the same way as the previous book, yes. People just travelig around in circles, with nothing really happening to them. Apart from a few events in the book, the whole thing is downright boring.

13. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

House of Leaves. Probably one of the most creative and interesting novels i've ever read.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just reread Pratchett's "Nightwatch", it is an amazing book.

15. Dami757 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just about done with Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces....again. I love looking at notes I took in the margin way back at the old university.

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just finished some game related reading in the form of The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski and Roadside Picnic by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky. These being the basis for The Witcher and STALKER, respectively.

Now I want to play through The Witcher 1 & 2 and STALKER with the Complete mod, if I can find the time.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ordered "The German Wars" from Amazon. Should receive it anyday now. Previously read "The Guns of August" and this book was recommended by a friend as a similar story from a different perspective.

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Death of Kings - Bernard Cornwell. It's as good, and very much like the rest of the series. :)

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The Dutch translation of I don't believe in Atheists by Chris Hedges. I agree on some points, but it's still a terrible book.

20. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading Echo City by Tim Lebbon. Its so dark and beautiful and his style of writing is smoothly descriptive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.