1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which classes can beat HoF Solo?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by kmonster, Oct 17, 2005.

1. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Just finished my HoF solo game (including ToTL). My character started in Easthaven as a weak and unequipped level 1 cleric and ended as a powerful cleric29/mage30. Even Behilfet needed a critical to hit him.
    A F/M/C multiclass would have gotten even stronger, but I wanted to play a human.

When I started the game I didn't think this was possible but I finished the game without using potions,magical ammunition or other item charges beside the the once-per-day "girdle of ogre blood" and it didn't take much time.

Did someone manage to solo HoF using another class ?

I guess it would be nearly impossibly to solo with a pure thief or fighter.

[ October 20, 2005, 22:47: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Your character was a dual class? That is my dream build, I did it in BG2, a level 14 cleric dualled into a mage, he was tough, so very tough, with cleric HP, THAC0, save vs death, and wit all clerical and mage spells in the game at his command!

BUT you did dual at level 29? :eek:

How is it possible? I am awed! Really!

How did you make up mage levels when you dualled? Didn't you miss cleric levels far too looooong? :confused:

3. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm... I can see it working. If you make your wizard weapon quarterstaves (or even daggers... I believe he could use daggers while cleric was inactive), and was careful to build up wizard-enhancing items while a cleric, the XP bonuses would ensure that he flew through the early levels of wizard. Scrolls that he didn't throw away would give him enough spells.

My question is how a solo, level 1, cleric made it through Easthaven alive.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Getting the cleric levels back was pretty easy.
    I dualed after the first talk with Wylvdene in HoW.
    If you have an invisibility spell you don't have to fight before you meet the fishmen near Isaracht's lair.

My cleric started at level1 in Easthaven unequipped and got 18,160 XP before a monster attacked him.(The cellar bugs don't fight back if you do it properly).
    Then he was able to summon skeletons. They were weaker than goblins first, so I had to fight them one by one. Recitation, hold and domination were a great help in the prologue.
    I avoided some fights in the Vale of shadows by using sanctuary.
    After clearing the temple of the forgotten God and training in the respawning southeastern VoS tomb (2260 XP for each destroyed skeleton), he left for HoW.
    He dualed after the first meeting with Wylfdene and used invisibility and the girdle of ogre blood often.

>100,000 XP for Hailee's quests
    840,000 XP for talking to the council member
    1,400,000 XP from Hjolder on BI
    1,680,000 XP for solving the murders
    1,120,000 XP from the GF Seer
    1,260,000 XP for the glacier rose
    1,260,000 XP for saving the Innkeeper from the mercenaries(easy with invisibility)

He also got quest XP from Tiernon and in the Barbarian camp and some fighting XP, he cleared the first 2 levels in Dragon's Eye before he got his cleric skills back.

He could never use a dagger.

Mages are very powerful.
    The only places a high level solo mage could get into (unsolveable?) trouble are the Malavon and Behilfet fight imho, maybe also the Luremaster final.

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Malavon: Otiluke's Resilent Sphere on self. after it expires, repeat. after expires repeat. after that Malavon should be out of spells and attacking your sphere with hes quartherstaff.

I did that with entire party once :p

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Umm but you can easily resist the Sphere and, as far as I know, mages are fairly good at resisting spells. (I mean, save vs spell ofcourse) So Otiluke's Sphere does not allow a save at all?

You could alternatively try Globe of Invulnerability and gulp a potion of mirrored eyes, as Malavon likes casting Flesh to Stone all day long, which can not be blocked by Globe.

BTW, that quest XPs are just insane! But since you are in HoW... :thumb:

7. raptor Gems: 16/31

You are casting the spell on yourself, you dont get saving throw against your own "harmless" spells. since Otiluke could just as well be cast to protect yourself against various things. So no, if you are casting Otilukes spehere on yourself (not Malavon) then you do not get a savingthrow. And Malavon dont understand that hes spells and attacks is wasted against the sphere.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ohh I did not know that! Is it same in BG2? Then by casting a Freedom of Movement spell one can be invincible!

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

The problem with Malavon is that you have to kill two mages before you are able to leave the area and to sleep.
    In the meantime you get attacked by two iron golems who are immune to magic and your summons can't hurt monsters immunune to normal weapons (unlike in BG2).

Once your sphere runs out you are surrounded by iron golems and umber hulks and won't survive very long.

Yxonomei, Behilfeth and the Luremaster could maybe be taken out by a very lucky finger of death (I never used this spell in my solo), but two lucky FoD for Malavon would require too much reloading.
    Hit and run might maybe work, since the golems are slow and the umber hulks vulnerable.

10. raptor Gems: 16/31

Well havent tried in solo. I used full party, lured out teh golems first, and beat them down, then ran around dodging Malavon and beat up the umberhulks isntead. then just Otiluke'd entire party and let him waste al hes spells.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I would guess a FMT or FMC would have the easiest time soloing any Bioware game. :)

12. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm playing through with a F/M/T myself. The thieving abilities really help.

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Evasion and stealth are nice but invisibility and protection spells can replace them.
    A thief is not really needed.

When a trap is set off, the solo character nearly always gets the save and the damage dealt to your high level character isn't really noteworthy.

The only chest/door which can't be opened with 23 STR (achieveable through earth elemental form or champions strength if you solo cleric) is chest in HoW containing the robe of neutral archmagi.

A mage can pick any locks casting knock, fighters can use the sword buyable on Burial Isle.

I'm currently playing my second HoF solo, this time with a fighter/druid.

She has already survived HoW and TotL and started the last chapter.

She didn't use any potions or items with charges besides the +5 MR potion from Dragon's Eye and the Girdle of Ogre Power and she could have done without them easily.

[ December 15, 2005, 16:27: Message edited by: kmonster ]

14. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I soloed it with multiclass fighter/druid couple of years ago. It was fun game.

15. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

mmm fighter/druid just grab physical resist items and water elemental and watch as you are immune to all physical damage. Also has great bombardment spells with summons.

16. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

It's not as easy as it seems.
    Your own summons are crippled since patch 1.41.
    Summons can't damage monsters which are immune to normal weapons but can be hurt by any monsters.(Exception: winter wolves or fire elementals, but many monsters are immune to cold damage and the fire damage dealt by elementals is pathetic.)
    And while shapeshifted to water elemental you can't hurt monsters immune to normal weapons.

17. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Halflings can do it !!!

I just finished my HoF solo with a NG halfling fighter/thief starting at level1 in Easthaven without equipment.

I didn't believe it was possible first, I just wanted to play around a bit, but both Isaracht and Behilfet are history now.

For a short time I regretted having taken a good aligned character when I found the bone marrow belt. A neutral or evil character could have gained more than 100 slashing resistance while wearing it.

I didn't know how powerful stealth can be before I played this solo. After entering a new area you can press the stealth button and stay hidden.

Reputation does affect shop prices. Shopping became more expensive after killing Emmerich with the snow maiden's reaver.
    Ironically I never really needed his 4APR +4 longbow or his powerful ammo.
    The Vexed Armor I got for killing an innocent was very useful on the other hand. Combined with the Girdle of Ogre Blood resting for 8 hours nearly healed my character.

The total in-game time spent was even shorter than the time it took my party on my first game, far less then 50 days.

I didn't dare to try the TotL add-on. I don't know if it is possible with a F/T.

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Soloing HoF! Cough...cough...I only wish I can attain that level of IWD mastery...we will see!

19. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@ kmonster
    How you killed Behilfet with F/T? Drank a lot of potions and charged? :)

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

No potions were needed. My halfling only needed potions for Isaracht because she didn't have the boots of speed then.

For Behilfet she used the "Fang of the Gloomfrost" dagger for long lasting anti-magic shell.
    Throwing dagger +4 "Lover" and boots of speed allowed defeating his minions and finally Behilfet via hit and run without taking damage at all.
    Girdle of Stromnos, gauntlets of weapon specialization, ring of reckless action and large shield of strength +1 helped speeding up the long battle a bit.

[ March 02, 2006, 18:51: Message edited by: kmonster ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.