1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which desktop OS(s) are you on currently?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Aug 8, 2015.

?

Which desktop OS(s) are you using currently?

1. Linux

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Mac OS X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows XP

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Windows Vista

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Windows 7

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  6. Windows 8

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Windows 10

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Let's see what the sorcerous bunch has currently got installed on their desktops. For the sake of simplicity I'm not breaking down Mac OS and Linux as well, but if you use them, you can go into more detail in a post.

The poll allows multiple choices, so if you run more than one OS, pick them all and explain in a post how you use them. If you're planning on switching to W10 soon still pick what you're using currently.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Win 7 on Main desktop PC. Win 8 on the laptop which my household hates. XP on my oldschool gaming rig setup in my basement. Plus we have an iPad, iPhones and a Kindle Fire HD. So lots of variants.

Nothing beats my Sega Genesis though....

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, I limited this poll to desktops only, listing all the possible mobile and portable OSs and consoles as well would take a bit more time. ;)

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    At home, Win 7 and Ubuntu. It's been that way for many years now.

At work, I usually deal with Win 7 and a variety of Linux distros (mostly Red Hat and Red Hat-based derivatives like Oracle Linux).

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Windows 7 here, but I will eventually take the plunge to 10 once I'm convinced all of the driver/software compatibility issues have been resolved (I would hate to have my scanner stop working).

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK....just Win 7 and XP then. Ignore the rest. Won't upgrade until the software becomes useless.

7. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You forgot to check XP then as my vote is still the only one.

8. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just windows 7, i'm still not quite sold on windows 10. :p

9. Taluntain

Media:
    MS's nagging me to GET MY FREE UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 NOW, but I think I'll wait a while longer. ;)

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    There's also the fact that i've allready heard some people complain about having trouble playing certain games on Win 10, i'm not looking forward to having to reinstall all the programs/games once i do switch over, let alone having to troubleshoot when it turns out some of them won't work.

Besides, this pc is getting pretty old now, i'm guessing i might get a years use out of it before i need to upgrade, so i might just sing it out with Win 7 until i finally do. :D

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Wait, wouldn't you keep everything installed if you upgrade? Do you actually need to reinstall everything? :hmm:

12. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Well, from what i've heard you can keep your settings, personal files, and "most" applications, but i'm assuming that some will simply not transfer over or simply not work under windows 10.
    To be fair, i have so much garbage installed on this system that i'd prefer to just make a backup of my important files and game/program installers and start with a fresh windows installation to clear out a lot of the trash. :D

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, that's usually the best way to go about it unless you've got a relatively clean & light OS install. My current W8 install more or less fits the bill, so I'll probably just do an upgrade, which is something that I've never done before.

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Just remove the promotional update.

15. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have Win7 on my main PC, and some Ubuntu distribution on an old laptop and the HTPC.

I might switch over from Win7 to some newer windows version once they stop support on Win7, or I might switch over to Linux all the way by then.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    I'll upgrade eventually and it's not too intrusive since it only pops up every few days, so not worth the effort.

17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You say that like a couple of clicks and a restart is incredibly stressful work. Unless you're like me, and you only restart your rig once a month for updates, that sounds like an excuse. :p

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Could be Fred, could be! :lol:

19. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Windows 10 keeps everything but just try to find something in the start menu. Oh, it does not keep the Windows 7 version games it installs new ones that suck getting to (3 sign in request I think that you don't have to do) and you cannot copy Win 7 folder of games over. They will not run! I did a post in RBP that says a little more. I will not be updating my other computer to 10 but will keep it on this one just to learn the OS.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    10. Nice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.