1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which fight are you more proud of? (or the hardest?, or the funniest?)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Maincarast'รจ, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, my dear patrt decided, wehn drudging thorough the Temple ruins around level 9 or 10, that they'd have a go at the Shadow Dragon.

First try, I died.

Second try... well, we beat it down long enough for JAN to land a critical on it's tail and wham! A dead dragon.

Now the little one is boasting "Thax'islya" (sp?) in his "Most powerful Vanquished" thing...

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

On the tail, no less! Too funny. Jan doesn't score many critical hits.

I am most proud of the final fight at the tree of life with Jon Irenicus -- my Archer was wearing the ring of Gaxx and the reflection cloak, and wielding a heavy halberd (can't remember which one) and everyone else died -- Jon came at me but his spells were useless and I managed to pound him down with the halberd! It was sweet.

3. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] You havent fought a good battle unless you go to the pocket plane area in the bridge and get you Staff of the Magi.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

[offtopic] I do not get the difficulty of the twisted rune I never had difficulties in there and I haven't even used cheese and on the other hand Kangaxx seems impossible for me without cheese and Frikraag(sp?) I have been able to kill only a few times without cheesing! Ah well go figure... [/offtopic]

The fight I'm most proud of aye? Hmmh well probably the fight against the spider drow in the crypts. I was able to kill the mage quickly but those small spiders just came at me and because I was doing solo the spiders did some serious poison damage and when I was done with the mini spiders I quickly cast the slow poison spell and noticed that I had exactly two hp:s left after the battle... Lucky me :D

5. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Proudest fight
    In Ust Natha I had always assumed that it was, like, game-over-man if you turned the drow against you. Now, you know the scene in the Ust Natha tavern where one drow tells a joke and another kills him for it? Well, I decided to help him out. Damn me if he didn't turn on me followed by the whole city. Instead of reloading I embarked on wholesale slaughter - wiped them out to a man / woman. I went and got the eggs, no problems. No having to grovel to Phaere. No dumb errands. I felt pretty damned good.

Hardest Fight
    Some fights are really hard on your first time through. One that caused me more problems than most were the Darksun halflings in the Planar Sphere. They were nails. I still feel like I'm halfway there when I get past them. One of the random vampire encounters in the Athkatla streets is a real toughie as well - they're all over you like a rash before you have time to get into any sort of defensive formation. Depending on when you take him on, the warden in the Planar Prison is extremely tough as well. I always feel a sense of righteous achievement when he goes down.

Funniest fight
    Feebleminded Firkraag so he just sat there drooling while the whole party laid into him. Imoen belted him with the Staff of the Magi and dispelled the feeblemind. Firkraag slaughtered my party (we were all close by, after all). How I laughed as I hit the reload button.

Although it's cheesy, I find it quite amusing to open a door full of mindflayers, dump a cloudkill spell and then shut the door on them. Genius level intelligence yet cannot open doors. I guess that's what prevents them dominating the entire world (but how do they get in the rooms in the first place...).

EDIT: Baldurdash fix pack has corrected mind flayers' magic resistance so that Cloudkill no longer works. Damn. Took them on toe-to-toe last time through (chant: "What a friend we have in Chaotic Commands"): doable, but you need to keep a close eye on the portraits watching out for the intelligence drain icon. When that appears, retreat: the character has mere seconds to live.

[ October 31, 2003, 04:52: Message edited by: Chris Williams ]

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

In the battle against the black dragon in elven city (sundasomething) my mage char used wish or limited wish and summoned a horde of rabbits, the dragon then turned to them.the carnage it was horrible. well my party killed the dragon while it killed my rabbit army. It was so funny.

7. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I'm so happy now, I just OWNED the Twisted rune, first time i Tried it I was like 10th lvl overall, and that blasted lich took all my fellows out with the Banshee yell.. But this time, daddy fooled the mofo's in chapter 6! :D

Had my sorc casting Project image + 4 morde swords and other buffs, hasted.. defensive harmony, bless, chant and true seeing with anomen.
    Rocked the world thanks to Valygar with +5 CF and minsc with Lilacor +5 :)

From that on, it was pretty easy fight, it was all just a pure massacre, casting Abi Dalzims and whackin' with the Mordens.. though Aerie and Imoen died during the fuss, but man it was so cool to kick the arses of those naughty naughty creatures :D

Next Stop: Kangaxx, wish me luck :D

:EDIT:
    hmm, very..VERY odd.. Everyone claims that Berserk -mindstate should protect against the Imprisonment of Demilich Kan.. Well, My Minsc got imprisoned the second he got hit by it.. aint that fun :D

Second try got me to success, which was kinda funny :D
    k, that bada** turned into demilich, started to imprisonate my fellow adveturers, so I casted Spell Immunity:Abjuration to my PC to prevent the Imprisonment, he only got 2 chars imprisonated, then the not-so-wise-demilich started to buff all his imprisonments on my PC, and he didin't even take a note that Valygar was pounding his arse with CF+5 and from the front taking on all those Melfs minute meteors.. what a jackass. :D

[ October 15, 2003, 14:42: Message edited by: Grandalf ]

8. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The proudest fights:
    solo F/M against Improved Irenicus (core), solo R/C also against Improved Jonny (insane), the same solo R/C later in TOB against [snip]

The most enjoyable one: solo F/M against Pontifex (I was protected from everything and was yawning at his attacks - even in Time stops. Then I got angry and kicked his butt. ;) )

[ToB content removed. This forum is for SoA content only; see the forum descriptions.] -Tal

[ October 15, 2003, 20:50: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Grandalf...

Minsc's Berserk doesn't protect. It's the Berserker Rage (a la Korgain) and Barbarian Rage (a la someone who isn't an NPC).

10. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Actually, Minsc's berserk rage will protect against imprisonment. I tried that before, although it was in TOB, but it shouldn't make any different right?

@Grandalf,
    I think it is because Minsc had his berserk casting interupted(by yourself when you thought that he finished his casting and give him another action command or by enemies who hit him with weapons or spells) or maybe he was still casting his berserk when the imprisonment spell got him.

11. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

One fight that really pisses me off is the one with the vampires in Firkrags lair. This would not usually cause a problem if you had a cleric with lesser restoration or chaotic commands in your party, but whenever I tried to go in with my party, or just a selection of them, Most of them would be drained to level 6 or lower.

Anyway I developed this great schem, which required my beserker using Vhailior helm to cast Simulacrum (took me ages to afford this), mirror immage with Ibretha and then going in and having both of them cast Sunray with daystar in different points of the room (one doesent seem to reach to all of them and there are always some that pass their save) anyway Kabloom! :D half an hour of trying to no avail then in 1 and a half minutes and killing them first off.

12. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

The vampires in Firkraag's lair are easy-peasy: all that is required is one protection from undead scroll and they cannot see you. It's a lot more affordable than Vhailor's Helm and you can hack them to pieces at your leisure. The vampires, in particular, do tend to run about all over the place so keep your unprotected characters well out of the way.

Alternatively, have two strong fighters protected against level drain. Jaheira (or Keldorn or Valygar, etc.) with the Amulet Of Power and Minsc with the Improved Mace of Disruption should be sufficient. You also need chaotic commands to protect against vampire domination as well.

How to get the Improved Mace of Disruption:
    SPOILER
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    Get the bog standard Mace of Disruption from Bodhi's lair - it's in the blood pool in the north-west room on the first level. Next, start the Unseeing Eye quest. The clerics at the temple should now give you a second quest of getting Sir Sarles to create them a sculpture. He insists on working only in illithium. When you eventually get the illithium, don't take it to Sir Sarles; take it instead to Cromwell the smith who will use it to upgrade the Mace of Disruption. It's well worth the 7500gp asking price.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If you've got the Mace of Disruption, I highly doubt that those vamps would be a problem, considering the ones you have to fight to get it.

You could always lure them back to the room right before the hallway one at a time. It's a lot easier than charging into the room.

14. Mithralin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmm my favourite fight :confused: .... Well it has to be the fight with Bodhi... the second fight... not the first... I did a little trip around the map before i finally made it out for her... At the time i were travelling id been asking for help... :help: around to different groups... So imangine a fight containing Bodhi and her Vamps... and My group (Me, sorcerer, Viccy, Jahiera, Minsc, Anomen and Aerie), the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart, Shadow Thiefes and Drizzt and his group... it were an amazing fight... almost over cooked my pc.... :)

Yours Truly
    Mithralin

15. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] i actually have 2 favorite battles
    1.i used shadow keeper to give my elven sorcerer imprisonment,freedom,flesh to stone,discintegrate,and death spell
    then i summoned up a about 50 ogree berserkers with CLUAConsole, then i imprisoned half of them and then brought them back with freedom and then slaughtered them with the death spell--bam.50 ogre berserkers dead in 1 spell!!
    2.my most favorite battle was just the other day. i had just screwed up my Jaheira romance by going to kill Bodhi(once and for all) too early and she didn't get taken! i was so pissed that i started new game as an elven ranger dual0weilding magical scimiters(NOT drizzt's,i don't want to dis Drizzt, he's cool!!)and elven chainmail+4(i imported), then i blew out of irenicus's dungeon in about 5 minutes!!!

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I just thought of one. This happened when I was first learning the game, so don't make fun of me for it ;) .

Remember the umber hulks at the end of Level 1 of Spellhold? Well, I was getting beaten up by them, so I finally had my invoker PC cast his prismatic spray scroll on them. Several piles of umber hulk dust resulted.

17. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

Nice one. Assuming that you go to the De'Arnise keep straight away, the umber hulks are seriously hard - too hard in fact for your party to take on toe-to-toe. I've not used Prismatic Spray much before, as it offers too many friendly fire opportunities (petrified PC? No thanks!). A Wand Of Cloudkill will thin their numbers at the very least, while a Death Spell scroll also works swimmingly.

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

in the firkraag dungeon with all the vampires...

aerie cast sanctuary, and walked in with turn undead... and chunked the whole room spectacularly
    to the point where the PC stalled from the amount of gore on the screen

beautiful

19. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I have to write this one down. Just kicked everyone out of my party and proceeded to take on the improved slaver compound (using a multi Fighter/Assassin lvl 9/11 and went on a backstab extravaganzer (errr,that spelling doesn't look right, oh well!). I had 10 rings of Air control from ribald and the sandmans ring (Didn't need them really because I can just run into another room and hide in shadows, come back, backstab and then run away. Very, very cheesey but it just seemed like I was roleplaying at the time :rolleyes:

20. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

Celestial Fury +5 and Lilarcor + 5? Where did those come from? Weimar's Item Mod, I know, but I reckon that mod is one that goes through the land of cheese into the realms of cheating. You may want to try my instant-kill items that I've put in the bins of Waukeen's Promenade: the Sword of Camembert, the Mace of Brie and the Hammer of CTRL-Y. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.