1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which mod would you like to see reviewed?

Discussion in 'Mod Reviews' started by Taluntain, May 5, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

2. Lurker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The bg2 npcs mods are very long to review, but these 2 seem very interesting :

Saerileth : http://www.gilalion.com/saerilethmod.htm
    She seems to be a very original paladin in the game and she comes with new areas, even a quest in tob.

Kivan of Shilmista : http://www.gibberlings3.net/kivan/index.php
    A bg1 npc who comes with a lot of background which shows in lots of dialogs, his main quest seems to be in chapter 6, but even without it, it's a very valuable npc.

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Sir Nahtaniel.

An undead paladin? The shear possibility of seeing him turn himself is enough to demand a review!

4. Caedwyr Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Neh'taniel is not currently finished. I think the author would appreciate any reviews to be held off until the mod is released in its 1.0 version at least.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As has been repeated in this forum about a dozen times before, we don't review mods in the alpha or beta stage. We never have, and we never will. So where this irrational fear of us doing so is coming from, I have no idea.

That said, we could use some new reviews, so anyone up to it, check the sticky in this forum!

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I would have done Sarileth except for the fact that a 15 year old girl playing Paladin is something I'm not really looking forward too.

Iff I finally decide whether to finish my SoA trip or not, I will review Hell Trials. What say Tal?

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You know me, I'm always happy to put more reviews up. ;)

8. Lurker Gems: 1/31

For Sarileth, since she was born in the plane of gods, the fact that she is only 15 years old is not exactly relevant, she is not exactly the usual kind of character that you usually meet... she even speaks some archaic form of english to show the difference with a "normal" character (because the god taught her how to speak and the god speaks this way !!!). And since she seems to add a lot to the game, a review would still be very nice.

For Kivan : yeah I know they added "BETA" to their latest version 4.
    Now if you look at the version history, you will see that version 2 beta was in september, then version 3 in january 4 months later, then version 4 beta in april. So you might have to wait a very long time before geting a version without this "beta" mention. And anyway the mod is very stable, I really wonder why they added the "beta" mention. You tested here Unfinished business which is full of bugs compared to kivan (at least in their latest version 14). Now I can't and I don't want to force you, it just seems that reviewing this one could be a nice idea !

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, if there was genuine interest in writing a review of a mod in beta status (especially if it's been labelled as "beta" for a long time), then we'd contact the mod makers and ask them if they're ok with it. Provided they were, such a review wouldn't be problematic.

10. Caedwyr Gems: 2/31

@Taluntain: I was addressing Kam's post:

I was letting Kam know that since Nehtaniel is still not in it's 1.0 form that any reviews would have to wait a while to be able to do the mod proper justice.

But, I guess that's just me being irrational :rolleyes:

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Obviously, as it isn't up to Kam to decide what gets reviewed. This thread is for suggestions only, in case that isn't plain enough. We don't have enough mod reviewers to review all the mods mentioned here, unfortunately.

And you're not the first mod maker (not even the first in this thread) to express your fear of us reviewing unfinished mods. We don't. We won't (at least not without asking). So you can sleep calmly now.

12. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I do think it kinda begs the question of why things are available for download if they're sufficiently unfinished to be unsuitable for review. While obviously it has been your decision not to review unfinished material, I think it should be exactly that: your decision, and not the modder's. I believe that if something's available to the public, it's available for comment. (That said, I think I'd be horrified if anybody reviewed the current Quest Pack release, because so, so awful. I'd at least hope for a reviewer willing to update their post to reflect later mod updates.)

What bugs is UB full of? I'd like to know so they can be fixed.

Sorry for off-topic-ness.

13. Caedwyr Gems: 2/31

I'm not really a modder. Any editting I've done in the past has been primarily for my own enjoyment.

As for why certain mods are made available for download, if they are unfinished, one of the big reasons is to attract people willing to test the mod. For example, cleric remix was available for quite a bit of time (and still is), but the mod is not in its 1.0 build yet.

My comments weren't meant to be taken as a set of commands to the lowly masses, but rather a hint that the mod would not be done justice if it were reviewed in it's current state. Essentially it would have been a waste of time for everyone involved.

As for comments on mods, my personal view, is they are all welcome, good or bad. I'd just suggest staying away from any sort of formal reviews that would be written up and submitted to a review website (or forum). I think of it as how a book review shouldn't be done on the basis of a "sneak preview" chapter, and then published as a review of the entire book.

I agree, that in the end, it is the reviewer's choice, once the mod is made available to the public. If a review is done, on the unfinished mod, then that could be the price to pay for early presentation of the mod. From the other side, I'd suggest that it was a waste of time on the reviewer's part to do a review of a alpha/early beta build of a mod.

Additionally, the Nehtaniel mod is just one that I've provided some input for from time to time. If it was my own mod, I would have a different approach to the issue entirely (as I try to state in the previous paragraph). However, I've been made aware of the author's feelings on situations like this in the past and I tried to indicate what her preferences would be in my first post.

I agree with Sim's position, that all input, YOUR MOD SUX!!!, included should be permitted. While I may not know where to make the changes based on such limited feedback, any feedback can be helpful.

[ June 06, 2005, 01:39: Message edited by: Caedwyr ]

14. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Of course, what I meant is that I would give the mod maker whose beta mod we were about to review a courtesy notice and the chance to present some really good arguments why the mod should not be reviewed just yet (like, an updated version coming out in a week, major bug found which will be fixed in next release coming soon, etc.). If we were about to review a mod which has been labelled as being in a beta stage for a year or more, the mod maker would have to present some really, REALLY good arguments why a review should wait. Obviously just slapping the word "beta" on a mod to ward off any reviews and keep it at that forever isn't going to cut it.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Are we going to get a review from the new review of Pirates of the Swordcoast from our beloved premium module expert Spellbound anytime in the future? ;)

16. Taluntain

Media:
    I think that's pretty much a given... ;)

17. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Starting it tomorrow! :D

18. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I would like to see reviews of unofficial NWN mods, if it's possible?

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would enjoy hearing other opinions on the Tsujatha NPC romance mod from the Chosen of Mystra.

20. Ahnuld ze Tuhminatuh Gems: 1/31

Hi everyone. It's my first time here, so bear with me please. I'm looking frantically for a review on The Darkest Day mod, but I can't find it here(and it's a very wellknown mod). Am I not looking in the right places? Please don't be mad at me for asking a potentially stupid question.

[ October 14, 2005, 01:03: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.