1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which mods?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Topken, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

ok im installing Icewind dale on to a windows vista machine and was wondering which mods i should install. ive already got the widescreen mod and i was thinking of installing Auril's Bane and Level 8 & 9 Mage Spells by TeamBG. Was wondering if i had to install icewind dale into a different folder then the programs folder as i know the other IE games have issues with vista's sercurity with trying to install mods. there any other mods i need or tweak packs that include the same funcionatlity of the mages spell fix. thanks for helping me get this game installed into windows vista and up and running perfectly.

2. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Can't help much with Vista, but Auril's Bane has some compability issues with other mods. Level 8 & 9 mage spells and Ease-of-use are non-compatible according to the mod's forum.

3. Topken

havent done much with this sence im still waiting for peoples opinions and kull didnt help to much sence i knew some of that already after doing a little reserch on those forums. so i was wondering which of the comp mods i should install to get a better game as a whole. such as any bug fixes and the like. i also like adding items to my games as well like new weapons and armour mainly for the mages sence they dont have access to a lot of stuff. so anything i need to make them feel better int he ways of weapons and armour. ive picked up a few mods for BGT that added a number of different items for mages to use. along with picking up a number of differet mods for nwn 1 and 2 that delt with juist mages. such as tales of a mage for 1.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I don't know if that's your bag but there is a pretty cool NPC mod for IWD1. You may want to give it a shot.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I recommend installing the official patches and nothing else, definitely not "Auril's Bane" (horribly unbalanced) or "Level 8 & 9 Mage Spells by TeamBG" (with HoW installed level 8 and 9 spells work fine, without you'll never get enough XP to memorize them).
    You can install some components of the "Ease-of-use Pack by Tioma" to make the game more comfortable or maybe from the "Tweak Pack" (be careful about the components you choose), but it's great without.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  6. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I agree with kmonster - patched vanilla game, maybe with minor tweaks is just great. By the way, both HoW and TotL add new items to the game.

7. Topken

hmm so the only mod im going ot need is the widescreen one then?

8. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    And the NPC mod if you want a party à la BG2.

9. Topken

im fine with the party i make. reminds me more of dnd then bg does becuase of it. i know i could easily get npc party memebers in dnd but theres usaly a group of 6 or more of us playing dnd so yeah im use to it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.