1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which tear of greed?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have a half-orc CE (will use EEKeeper to change it back to CG) blade and I'm trying to decide if I want +15 HP or the +2 to all saving throws?
    He is:
    level 14
    HP: 62

saves:
    P/P/DM 10
    R/S/W 8
    P/P 9
    BW 13
    SPELLS 9

Does the +2 to saves really matter that much?

the other tears I took are:
    wrath = evil = +2 strength
    selfishness = good = +10% MR
    pride = good = +20% fire, cold & electric resistance
    fear = good = immune to +1 weapons or less

*sorry. he's a half-orc not a gnome*

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Get the saving throw bonus, it'll do a lot more for you then the +15 HP.
    The way saving throws work is that the game has you roll a d20 to resist the saving throw score for the effect being resisted.
    Say you are hit with a Death effect, like disintegration. Your Save vs death score is naturally 15 - meaning you need to roll 16 or higher to resist the effect and not die instantly.
    This means that you only have a 25% chance to resist the effect - But with a +2 to your saves (which actually lowers the number on your save scores) you can increase this chance by 5% for every 1 bonus point.
    For example, +2 to saving throws will make your save vs death score a 13, instead of a 15 - giving you a 35% chance to resist death effects.

Saving throw bonuses being a big thing is the whole reason why the shorty races are so good to have - dwarves, gnomes and halflings can get anywhere from a +2 to +5 bonus to their saving throw scores for wand, spell and death saving throws, depending on their constitution score. (though gnomes only get the bonus to wand and spell saves.)
    That hp is only ever going to help you take 1 more hit in the middle of combat, and will need constant replenishing in the form of healing spells or potions, whereas saving throws will save you from all kinds of nasty effects, and will do their thing in the background without you having to worry about a thing.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, by the time you are ending SOA, your saving throws are probably effectively 1 with rings and other bonuses, as well as levels, and a 1 always fails a save, so I am not 100% sure that it makes a ton of sense. Then again, 15 HP are pretty underwhelming for TOB and its autohit enemies . . .

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'd go for hp on a high hp character, like a barb or straight fighter, just to make the numbers even higher. Saving throw seems more useful against mages, as xosmi explains, though dmc is also correct that by ToB your saving throws are likely already pretty low, so it might only help with spells that save at -x.

I'm not sure that the racial saving throw bonuses are correctly implemented in BG2, though I never did check. I know that a higher WIS should also give bonuses to certain saving throws, but this was never implemented. Unless they fixed that in the EEs, that is.

5. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Does anyone know if it has been fixed or not? :tobattle:

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    No idea - you can always give your character some +1 tomes and see if your saves change if you use them to raise your wisdom.

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Went from a 15 Wisdom up to a 20 with NO bonuses to ANY saves. Oh well can't eat ALL the cake I guess. :1eye:

8. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, seems like that part of the 2e rules was never implemented in the baldur's gate games, which is probably because they pushed the game out pretty quickly and were too rushed to add it in, since they did add in the part where the short races get bonuses to spell/death/wands based on their constitution score.

At least all classes get better saving throws as they level up, usually capping somewhere at lvl 17-18, and depending on the class certain saving throws might be higher then for other classes (mages will get a better natural save vs. spells score then a warrior for example.)
    Coupled with the bonuses from Spells/Items/Shorty saves/Hell tear, your saves should be totaly adequate for the Throne of Bhaal expansion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.