1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which weapon proficiency for a cleric?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sentry, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Sentry Guest

Hey

When I'll play BG2, I'll dual my fighter to cleric after level 9. Since I'll have grandmastery I'll only focuse on one weapon.
    So which would be the best to take?

I've been thinking about the Flail of Ages, partially because it gets 2 more "heads" in ToB if I'm not mistaken.
    But what about Warhammers / Maces?

Thanks
    Sentry

2. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I think you're right to go for the Flail of the Ages. You might also want to go for maces at a lower proficiency level, because you can pick up an undead-slaying mace in the game as well.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Flails are about the best cleric weapons in BG-2, especially considering the Flail of the ages. Maces are nic, especially when considering the Mace of disruption. Warhammers are pretty good, well there is crom (it sucks but that's just mho :D ).
    I hope you won't forget to use slings which are excellent ranged weapons.

MINI-SPOILER:
    In a short preview to ToB I can say that there flails and hammers are the most potent werapons. There is a -4 initiative flail somewhere and a great hammer too. So it's worth to invest some * in these weapons.

4. Sentry Guest

Then it's done - I'll take ××××× for flails.

[This message has been edited by Sentry (edited September 27, 2001).]

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Why not do both ;)

sure there might be a penalty to Thaco, but dualwielding Flail of ages and Crom is rather nice :)

Though you perhaps should wait with that till a bit later levels. But keep it in mind as a possibility.

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You'd need to gain a lot of levels to get GM in both flail and warhammer. I don't have the figures off hand for when you get weapon proficiencies, but I think it would be better to get +++++ in flails, then + in maces, followed by just ++ in warhammers (assuming you've become a cleric by then). Crom may be good, but you can't get it 'til late in the game.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I agree, though perhaps instead of 5 in flails, put 4 in it and a 3rd in warhammers. Because the 3rd profeciency gives way more boni than the 5th

8. Sentry Guest

Well what about this

While fighter:
    Flail ×××××
    Sword & Shield style ××

Then when Cleric:
    Mace ×
    Warhammer ×
    Sling ×

EDIT:
    And since I'll be using GM fix by TeamBG, I think I really should go for GM.

9. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I heartily agree with the Contagious Addict... err... Lokken. ;) Dual wielding Crom and the Flail of Ages is awesome. Anyway, you'll likely use fighters as frontliners during the game, with their two-handed and longsword proficiencies. You'd have an awesome back-up tank with your priest, especially with blade barrier and shield of the archons spells at high level. :)

However you choose, good luck and have fun! :)

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited September 27, 2001).]

10. Sentry Guest

On the other hand
    Flail ××××× and Two-weapon style ×× sounds nice...

Oh man... :D It's hard to decide.

EDIT:
    eveningdrive you posted at the same time I think... Yeah, I think DW is good also... BUT if you can have +4 shield... oh my oh my I really don't know anymore :D

11. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Stick to Flail XXXXX, Hammer X, Mace X, Sling X. Clerics can really get great AC, so with the Sentinel Shield your character will be excellent. If you really want to dual-weild, dual-class a Ranger (pure class) as soon as he learns his first priest spell. Multi & dual-class Cleric/Rangers get all druid spells as well as all cleric spells (yes, ALL).

12. Tiger Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't recommend going for the 2 weapons with this guy - if you want to do that then Tiamat right that dual classing a Ranger would be best as he starts with 2 points in the 2 weapons style.

I'd recommend one of the following for your Fighter proficiencies, depending on how flexible you want to be.

Flail XXXXX
    Shield XX

or

Flail XXX
    War Hammer XXX
    Shield X

In both cases you can use your Cleric proficiencies to get Sling, Mace and for option 1, War Hammer.

13. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Don't bother getting any points in Sword and Shield style; it doesn't raise the AC bonus of the shield, just it's AC bonus versus missile weapons (which do very little damage anyway). Like I said, if you want druid spells as well, go for a multi-class or dual-class (just make sure that he learns his first Ranger priest spell, THEN dual-class him), which will get you more weapons + 2 free points in 2-weapon style. Plus druid spells. ACtually, every weapon proficiency point after XXX doesn't get you worthwhile bonuses, UNLESS you're using the proficency fix. It's unfair that Black Isle changed from the BG2 and IWD proficiencies to the way they do it in BG2, but hey.... They must've had SOME reason.

14. Sentry Guest

Yes I am using the fix :). Thats why I want grand mastery... Oh and really don't like druids :(.

15. ikzelion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would grand master in war hammers and dual weild crom feyr and the runehammer. You get 25 strength and negative plane protection, plus 2 +5 weapons with grandmaster status on both. Also get dual weild as much as you can, but after you get the grand master status first. I'm sure there are many good alternatives, but that's just another one.

16. Skrynkelberg Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] How much bonuses do you get with grand mastery and the fix, then?

17. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

ikzelion, no ToB material should be posted here. There are some people around who get really mad if they see anything ToB-related. Just thought I'd let you know.

Sentry, why don't you like druids? Is it because they only reach lvl 14? Or maybe you don't like their spells? Then I'll tell you that there are some *really* good druid spells (Iron Skins, Insect Plague, Creeping Doom, Summon Earth Elemental, etc). If you dual-class a ranger you'll get BOTH druid and cleric spells, which is really good for a warrior type, and you can still reach the high levels!
    But if you prefer to stick with your fighter/cleric, I'd recommend you to take *** in two weapon style and flails in the beginning, and then maybe develop grand mastery in flails, or take some proficiency slots in warhammer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.