1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why does it suck?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ender, Mar 30, 2002.

1. ender Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Why does this game suck so bad? I have heard many people rag on it without giving any reasons. Why does it suck so bad?

2. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

the real question should be why DOESN'T it suck....but I'll try and clear things up for you:

the interface sucks
    mapping sucks
    movement is slow and it sucks
    combat is slow
    you face the same monsters over and over again
    3ED rule implementation is a joke
    it's boring
    it's confusing

the only things that are good are the graphics....but even that could have been done better.

3. zaknafein Guest

it sucks because everytime i try to use it it crashes!!!

4. ender Gems: 2/31

thanks for clearing that up

5. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] If I play it, it crashed. If I made a second character, It crashed, and when I could finaly play it, it sucked big time! The turn based thing sucks, the looks are terrible it's just no fun playing...

6. Trias Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It's full of bugs,it crashes everytime i try to enter in that ******* dungeon:mad:

7. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

As a BG / IWD series player, I bought the game in deep rejoice thinking that I would have another cool games to spend my time with.

Who knows this crap is just bad, very far from your expectation.. and having bugs and problems as mentioned above! It's really a disappointment!

8. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I still can't believe I spent money on this one! I saw the intro, and it sucked after the intro it crashed, then I restarted skipped the intro made a caracter sterted the game, and it crashed. I restarted skipped the intro picked my caracter started the game and found out it sucked. So I thought maybe whit an other caracter! and than it crashed again, so I wanted to restart but it didn't work so I had to install it again and... It crashed when I wanted to play so I started again and it didn't work, so I instaled it again and anyway I played after a long while, and well it just sucked... and crashed again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate this game!

9. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It was ripped from the womb.

10. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] After playing for a couple weeks, it really started to suck, but now I've picked it up again. It's actually interesting, and not too boring, I doubt it will last though, eventually run into another endless dungeon populated with three skeletons per square kilometer.

11. Nazgul Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Well the game isn't that bad if you don't mind taking the time to play it. (if you have nothing else better to do)

I've played through it a few times now.

I have been one of the lucky ones. The game has never crashed on me. (crosses fingers)

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Because Nazgul is here, let me brag a bit: INTERFACE.

Ok, first let’s try to find a game that had similar interface. Do you remember Sierra’s "Return to Krondor" made in year 1998.? That’s the game with EXACT the same idea for playing screen. On pre-rendered background you had three-dimensional shaped NPCs.
    But RtK had different views on different screens! You could pick an angle of view in a screen (not accurate, but...). The idea was so glanzed that you also could saw your NPCs sometimes small and sometimes big – depending on length between NPCs and camera. In PoR you have only one view and only one camera position. So much for keeping old good idea. What are 3D NPCs for? They could just keep Diablo-like stuff for this. At least animated NPCs would look nicer.

RtK had almost the same interface system. Turn-based fights were controlled the same as in PoR, and "advanced" options were selectable by right-click or quick-keys. But the difference is in item usage. While in RtK you could use item’s abilities right from inventory, in PoR you must first equip the item and then use it. So instead of only one right-click, you now have two right-clicks on the same item. Great strategy! Now, this could be an issue from d&d 3rd edition, but tell me, what does that do in cRPG? I want automatization on my computer, not p’n’p. If I have to say in p’n’p "equip item, use item, unequip item" – I don’t want to do it in computer game!

Quick keys? In another games, you could always define or redefine quick keys for every possible thing. Can you do it in PoR? Dream on. You can’t. A few custom keys definetly can’t cover all your needs. At least those couldn’t cover mine. Ok, I could define some base spells to be casted automatically, but as I levelled up, I got more and more pissed of right-clicking (or TAB pressing) just to do some things I couldn’t define in quick keys without deleting previous definitions.

Party? I assure you, for PoR party tray applied the most brilliant idea I ever saw in a RPG game. Each party member has it’s unique colored circle. So, if you started the game with two NPCs that look almost the same, you can say which one is who by looking at the colored circle below them. Also, if an NPC is behind the wall and you can’t see him/her, you can determine which one is that just by color.
    But as all good ideas in this game, this one is totally ruined. And why? When you kick a NPC out of your party – the party reconfigures! In another words, in such case it may happen that NPCs don’t have the same color as before! Geez... So, if you get used your sorcerer was purple, now it happens for example that your sorcerer is blue and your fighter is purple. Let’s say you get into battle and can’t see NPCs behind the walls. And next action belongs to your purple NPC. You think it is a sorcerer as before, and move that sorcerer away from hostiles. What a surprise: you moved your fighter – in wrong direction! *sigh* True, you could shape those colors in a manner by removing all members from the party, then recruiting them back on the place in the party where they were before – but come on! This is really shit! Besides, number of NPCs you find in the game available to get in your party is so small that they could place different color for each NPC instead of default six colors.

Inventory? For god’s sake, I don’t remember I ever saw before such cretinous system. Maybe I was spoiled with automatic inventory reconfiguration from Arcanum, but PoR just touch the bottom with this. Inventory screen is divided. But you CAN’T move an item directly from one part of it to another. You must drop the item on the ground, make some space in first part of inventory, and then pick up the item you dropped. Coo! *shrug* What should I say – designers of this inventory system should get a Nobel Prize for invention!

And to finalize this spitting before I get sick, let’s just mention: a map. As all new games, this one also has a map. Nothing new. The map has zoom option. Also, nothing new. The new thing is: YOU CAN’T SEE THE WHOLE MAP OF AREA!!! No matter how you zoom, the map simply won’t be completely shown. Yes, you can move it with mouse from side to side, but... When you do that you ask, where was your actual position ON the map? Even better than that, you actually can’t see your position on the map when you zoom it on minimal view. I’ll just add that map system is so poor that you can’t always determine if a path is blocked or not.

13. Lord Warrior Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It sucks because:
    Interface is bad
    working too slow on some graphic cards
    too many bugs
    poor graphics (is there any way to change resolution?)
    i could continue until tommorow...
    I forgot to say that story is really bad. It is almost identical as the story in first part of Pools of radiance. there are also many story details from Curso of azure bonds and from Pools of darkness.
    I play D&D more than six years, and i played almost every D&D CRPG. I can make judgement about storyline of Pools.

[This message has been edited by Lord Warrior (edited May 18, 2002).]

14. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Since my last post in this column, I've grown bored of the game. It just sucks walking around and fighting the same group of skeletons and ghasts, and so on. Gah! :aaa: The little bit of plot comming out of the Dwarven Dungeons was cool, but that died fast. I was really turned off the game when I took a quick peak at a cheat manual for the game at EB and I saw how many dungeons were left. :eek: Boring.

15. DinoTiggy1 Guest

I had a go at playing a demo, from one of my magazines.

I tell you, it isn't even worth the hard drive space:nolike:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.