1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why does it take so much longer to install under XP instead of 98SE?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've got a dual-boot system with Win98SE/XP, and I'm reinstalling the game since I had to replace the hard drives. Thing is, I need to install the program twice, once under each OS. To save space, I'm installing the programs that work uinder both OSes to the C:bad:program files, (one copy only which is FAT32) while the XP-only programs go to D:bad:program files (which is NTFS). Icewind Dale works with both.

I noticed that the install is taking over twice as long under XP as under Windows 98SE. Starfleet Command 1 did the same thing. It's almost like the CD-ROM is only running at 2X or 4X instead of 52X. Any ideas what's the deal? Same drive, same hardware, different OS.

2. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

No idea.
    I create a virtual drive, make virtual images of the CDs and install from them. Daemon Tools Lite is one application relevant here.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Strange, several games exhibited this behavior, while others had virtually no difference between 98 and XP. Only XP ran slower, which is odd since I recall everyone raving at how much faster XP was provided you had enough RAM. The really strange thing was that the slow-down was when according to the installer it was simply copying files from the CD.
    Yet the really odd thing is that these are NOT the factory-installed CD-ROM, but a CD-RW and a CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The only thing similar I know of, is that some older CD's take a while to be read initially by my drives...but the installation all in all proceeds fairly normal.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think I figured out why this happened. This was a replacement drive that I took from work after pulling it out of a broken computer about to be hauled to the e-scrap dumpster (and I recall it was pretty literal in this case). I asked if anybody would care if I took the drive since it was about to be thrown out (often literally from the loading dock to the dumpster). The computer in question had blown capacitors on the motherboard so whatever tech was fixing it never bothered testing the CD-ROM.

Anyways, the drive failed yesterday. It just stopped reading CDs. I wonder if the laser was already failing. The write laser on my first burner did something similar before it died some years back, making lots of botched CDs before refusing to burn at all.

I'm going to grab another used CD-RW or better if I can the next time they toss a broken computer at work.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It must be the OS then

Call Micro$oft ?? :p

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Call Microsoft? For a 10 year old Dell Optiplex GX110 that came preloaded with Windows 98 Second Edition?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.