1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why is this forum still here?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Marceror, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You sound just like my niece who can drone up almost any elder scrolls fact.

2. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

gnomes live for quite some time dont they?

IWD is what 30 or so years before Drizzt came to Fae'run innit?

for me it just wouldnt be BG without Minsc (and Boo), all the romance, tons of quests, NPC Banter/flirts (with or without the mods), huge epic story centering around the PC (and their siblings in some way).

3. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I enjoyed the story of Baldur's Gate, and all of the romances and side quests; but in IWD, I enjoyed how the characters weren't the centre of the universe as they seemed to be in BG. I don't want to be special. I would like to be able to make your whole party, still be able to get NPCs, and be able to have millions of little side quests, etc. I think it should be some time after BG, where the Children of Bhaal and the Destruction they wrought would be nothing more than a legend.

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

sounds like multiplayer on BG, where you make more than one person then throw in any NPCs you want.

it doesnt seem all that BG if the children of Bhaal dont play some role in the story.

i think BG3 would either in some way involve the child of your character from BG, or it would be the prequel to BG, if it is a prequel it could be set in the time of troubles, or having something to do with Balduran.

The city Baldur's Gate is named after Balduran after all.

5. Man_Solo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The baldurs gate series was a masterpiece from begining to end, but thats just it, it had a very final ending. Why do people think a third title is in the making, there couldn't possibly be a continuation, from the original storyline that would suit everyones prefered ending, the way i see it is that NWN is the new (if pathetic by comparison) Baldurs gate. I figure this game should be left as it is because it could only be tainted if a NEW-AGE installment was made. (cough... S.W. episodes 1-3, ring any bells?)

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, Man_solo, it's not in the making yet, but it will be sooner or later.

7. Shivan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

While I was, and continue to be, a big fan of Baldur's Gate, I highly doubt they will ever continue this particular story line unless they're absolutely sure they can get away with it. Since the storyline essentially completely ended, they would have to make a very elaborate reintroduction of the storyline.

Since the entire story of Baldur's Gate inextricably revolves around the "Child of Bhaal" phenomenon, I believe it is impossible.

Instead, I find it much more likely, and much more desirable to pull an IWD2 and just make a whole new story. Not a sequel or expansion, a whole new game that plays the same as the lovable old games. Sure we now have games like Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion, Fable, WoW... and so on. But what's the last top down D&D-based game that actually played like Baldur's Gate played? Ice Wind Dale 2. Well, I'm not sure how NWN2 played.

At any rate, I'm rooting for either a BG or NWN style game that allows the full complement of 6 characters, current generation graphics and playability, in a whole new setting. I, personally, want to get the heck away from both the sword coast AND the northern wastes. I'm sick of both places. As I see it, that means they have two choices- start up a whole new story in a section of the world that hasn't been seen before, or a whole new world. I kind of favor the latter, because then they could add in whole new races and classes and feats. True that would change the nature of the game itself away fromt eh BG model, but if they keep the gameplay and most other mechanics along the same lines, then it will still be a spiritual successor and therefore still good.

Bottom line of my post- Make a whole new game, unrelated to the stories of either Ice Wind Dale or Baldur's Gate. In fact, if they could do a KoToR in the setting of Baldur's Gate... that would be singularly awesome. (Although, suddenly I don't remember if Black Isle had anything to do with the first kotor... I'd swear that Obsidian only did the second one, and that the second had way better mechanics... anyway my point stilll stands)

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You know, I would love it if we could have a proper RPG game with point and click mechanisms like how you had in Baldur's Gate...

I know, we have NWN2 but its pretty disappointing so far. Temple of Elemental Evil came pretty close to it, but it was a crap game with an excellent interface and combat engine.

9. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Seeing as Baldur's Gate is a place I don't see why we can't have a number 3 set after TOB with new characters unrelated to TOB, but with what happened in BG2:TOB as a part of how this world's people are shaped.

10. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Based purely along the lines of BG3 likely being a HUGE disappointment, I sincerely hope that they leave the series in peace.

11. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can't really think of how they'd be able to continue the storyline for a third one, but if they did produce one I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

12. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Even if it's as disappointing as other people think, I'd still try the game anyway... no matter what the story is about.

I don't know why many people "oppose" the alleged production of BG3 with reasons like "it would ruin the BG series" and all... honestly, I don't see the connection, but as an avid cRPG lover, I for one hope people would continue developing such games. I wouldn't want such priceless games to halt it's advance just because other people are paranoid (most likely a result of NWN, but I might be wrong). It may be a gamble, but we, as a people, had to gamble a lot to come up with our technology nowadays. So why not gamble with BG3? We'll never know if it's good if we keep on criticizing a game that's not even developed yet... AFAIK. All it needs is patience and an open mind. You never know, after playing it, you might think it's better than the previous BGs :thumb:

13. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

Yes, it has chance to be good game, if it will be developed someday.

14. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

or say screw it and make a new game, call it Longsaddle or something.

15. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

Say... Fable wasn't all that good... and it wasn't BG3... which means... IMHO calling it something else doesn't guarentee it would be as good as the other BGs

16. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

No, it doesn't, but what it does do is allow them to start fresh with something new instead of having to try to continue a story that ended. A BG3 game would be just that, continuing a story that's obviously run it's course.

The reason I said start new with something like Longsaddle is because then you are able to have a game based in the same world without having to live up to the expectations of a BG3. A BG3 would be judged based on how well it tied into the bg2 story. I'd rather see a game judged purely on it's own merits. It can even happen after bg2. Could even make the Sword Coast part of the game. They can keep some of the same npc's making it seem familiar. Like maybe you can buy supplies from Ribald for instance.

And the sarcastic a**hattery isn't necessary. Nor was it warrented.

17. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

I have to agree...

But the thing is, BG has been such a success that naming a game with "BG" in it would be a marketing success for developers. So I'm not surprised if such a game would come out anytime soon. We might as well just live with it.

Or if the developers are that daring, then why not call it "The Edge of Toril", where the entire world (Toril) is the playground and not just Faerun. With more or less 100 hours of gameplay ;)

18. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

A tie-in to the Planescape universe might be neat. If BG3 is to exist, I would hope that it will harbor Planescape/BGII-esque depth of plot and character development, respectively; rather than focusing on gimmicky new ideas and deviations that would deter from the classic BG experience. That is to say, if BG3 pulled a NWNII I almost certainly wouldn't buy it (no offense meant towards those who enjoyed the latter, of course).

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

It's been said, most people wouldn't buy it if it was made like NWN..

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    then main question for any gamemaker to start work on bg3 is: can I use the D&D ruleset. Whit out it, no bg3. Gamemakers are not stupid, they know how much copies of bg1/2 Iwd1/2 and nwn1 are sold. (I know they appear stupid, but please do not go into that or this topic can become locked)

So if I was making games for money I would have made a BG3. And a miniature set of the game, complete with all the D&D stuff as we know it, including an Ingame colossal dragon, the works.

So why not? As far as I know Atari owns the rights. Until they sell it we will not see BG3.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.