1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why so little interest in Dragonshard?

Discussion in 'Dragonshard' started by Death Rabbit, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You'd think that on a site like ours - where both D&D nuts and RTS junkies are as common as...um, like, common things - that more people would be clamoring to buy, play and review this game. It's been out for a few weeks now (I think), and it's barely been discussed. Which either means the people who've bought it aren't playing it, and the people who haven't don't want it.

What gives? I almost bought this game last week, but didn't because nobody here was singing its praises. Hell, even singing its failures. This despite nearly every online review I've found for it has given it a very high rating (nothing below an 8.0 so far that I've seen - at least in the top of a google search or two).

What up, folks? :confused:

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My reason for not talking about it is that I have not played it. I have not played it because I have not bought it. I have not bought it because I still haven't finished NWN Hordes of the Underdark yet. I only just finished Shadows of Undrentide last week. It will probably take me the next 6 months to finish HotU as I might restart a few times before getting to the end.

So no chance of me getting anywhere near this game until later on in 2006 at the VERY earliest.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The game was being made right in the middle of Atari's money-saving frenzy, so it's had practically no marketing and was destined to fail from the get-go. Considering the core RPG crowd is already not too inclined to try anything else but RPGs, not even marketing the game to them was a fatal flaw. (Though, from what I read, there wasn't much there to market it to RPG fans.) The game ended up being overlooked by D&D RPG fans, and got lost among dozens of other RTS titles with RTS fans. Pretty sad.

That said, I wanted to write a review of it to promote it around here, but the dimwits at Atari never bothered to send out the review copies they've had us sign up for. Which is really typical Atari PR incompetence, but it's just another reason why I'm not too keen on looking at this game anytime soon.

Btw, Death Rabbit, you do realize that SP provides you with full news coverage of all D&D games on our front page? And that it's all archived? All you need to do is search the news forum for "dragonshard review". And maybe look at the front page from time to time...

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of course I realize that, Tal. You posting reviews and news about Dragonshard doesn't change the fact that precious few members around here seem interested in the game, which was the point of this thread. I wasn't talking about news coverage or reviews or even looking for either, as I mentioned above that I'd read several.

In fact, because I'm aware of the ample coverage the news staff has given the game, it reinforces my feeling of surprise that there is so little interest among our board members.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I haven't touched it because I don't care about it :) Just another RTS that's too expensive to bother with.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Death Rabbit, I was referring to your mention that you had to search around for reviews, obviously.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, I just saw it on sale at a local games shop (coincidentally, the first time I had wandered in to one for over a year). It looked quite interesting, but too expensive at this point. I might wait until I can get a second hand copy for cheaper.

8. Newfie Banned

I played the demo, and to tell you the truth, I thought the game sucked. With Atari's record, I am pretty sure it is buggy too. Most D&D gamers out there want the role playing experience like BG and Icewind Dale and any change from this norm will be met with doubt and criticism.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I will be trying it soon simply because it should have a drop of RPG in it. Whatever previously said, the RPG scene is pretty dead ATM and even an RTS game is welcome now if it goblins and elves. :xx:

Personally, though, I don't care too much for RTS genre. It's just quick kill'em'all whereas RPGs are about mechanics and story.

**EDIT**

I take it back after reading the review on GameShark.

I'm one of those slow-pokes that like to think a bit before doing. And I use hot-keys only semi-randomly.

[ November 24, 2005, 13:21: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Simpel it is not a rpg game. it is just an other rts which is only fun for the rts hardcore gamers. they do not play rpg games like us, and we the rpg gamers only play rts games and fps when there are no rpg's on the market.

I know it is a bit black and white what I said.

I played the demo and it looks just like warcraft3 and spellforce. No my money stays in my pocket until the firework starts next year. Nwn2, Bg3 Oblivion, d&d online. Sleep is rare in 2006(If the developers put them on the market that is)

11. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Not interested because it's not the game I hoped it would be. Never seen it though... And it's nog Forgotten Realms I think so...

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

It isn't an FR game. I probably wont pick it up. I used to get my ass kicked so bad in Starcraft and Warcraft3, the only two RTS games I've ever played. And I hate losing :p so I probably wont pick this up. I suck at micro-management, which is why I never managed to finish FF Tactics which was an awesome game. I just kept on focusing on Ramza and a couple of other characters :rolleyes:

13. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I can't play RTS games, and now having found out that there is no pause (o crap!) and no slow down feature (screw that!) there is absolutely no way at all that I will ever get this game.

14. Harbourboy

What? No 'pause' button? That sounds impossible for clumsy fingered slow coaches like me. When playing games like Age of Empires, my finger is permanentlu hovered over the 'pause' button. It's my most used weapon.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I got the game for Christmas and while I have barely started playing it I have definitely come to the realization that the lack of a pause ability is a major pain in the neck.

The game is pretty much a poor man's version of Warcraft 3. The unit progression/town planning is kind of different but overall I wouldn't recommend the game.

16. Harbourboy

Well, that's that then. I can't believe anyone could be insane enough not to include a pause button. What do you do when the telephone rings or you have to go have breakfast?

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Of course there is a pause button... what they mean is that there is no ACTIVE pause button. I.e. you can't pause the game and issue orders, etc. But you can always pause the whole thing.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I think the active pause should be included in games against the computer but either removed or optional in games between human players. If the computer "thinks" about everything at the same time and doesn't have to worry about micromanagement, I believe it's only fair that human players should have their active pause button.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I never play against human opponents but I can tell you that against the computer the game tends to turn into non-stop streams of battles.

What is really annoying is that the computer will be training new units, moving them over to the battle area, and directing troops all at the same time. As a result the computer will constantly have reinforcements trickling in while still fighting effectively.

You can only do one thing at a time so you have to scroll away from the battle to load up your build queues, scroll back to the battle and hope that your units have not screwed up too badly, scoll away again to select your trained units to send them over to the fight, etc.

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    @ JSBB

I believe the term you're looking for is "clusterf*ck." :heh:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.