1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wild Mage: Is it the only new player class in TOB?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Extremist, Jun 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] During my digging files in search for more info on pantaloons I found an interesting weapon. So I sliced files about it and this is what I've found out (besides some previous threads where it was mentioned)...

Now, we all know what anti-paladins are, they have also been mentioned in some threads. Also we know that in BG2 you can't become or create anti-paladin to start the game with. Then how come there is a weapon included in the game useable by anti-paladins only?

This is it:

Now, that weapon description what you see above is extracted from DIALOG.TLK file which contains descriptions for all items and dialogs in the game (except *.tlk files in override folder, but that is not of significance for this text).
    What is not mentioned above are some facts more abou this weapon:
    1. item code is REAVER (for those who want to play with hex editors)
    2. It is enhanced+5
    3. It grants Immunity to Charm to its wielder

And the most interesting thing I must mention is that it can't be useable by any race - not even humans!? What race are anti-paladins then?
    I mean, in item abilities says that character can use Unholy Reaver only if he created under all of these three rules:
    1. He is Cahotic Evil
    2. If he is Paladin or Fighter/Mage/Thief (!?) - no other classes can wield it
    3. If his race is none of BG2 player allowed races - not even human (!?)

All this leads to three questions and answers:
    1. Is there an Anti-Palanin in BG2? ---->Yes, there is one!
    2. Does he wield the weapon above? ----->Yes! But you can't pick it up when you kill him :p
    3. How can he use that weapon with those restrictions? ---->Because the anti-paladin (chaotic evil paladin, no character creation races) is Githyanki!

Now, where is he then?
    If you have Silver Blade in inventory when you return to Athkatla, you'll be stopped by one Githyanki Wild Mage. If you don't give him the blade back (curse on Saemon!), he'll summon seven Githyanki more to help him, and one of those is Anti-Paladin! You'll know which one is it when you kill him (worth 7000 XP).
    For researchers: search thru CREATURE.BIF file for gith03 to see details of this fiend...

And my final speculation:
    All facts above can only make me hope that in ToB we'll be able to choose anti-paladin class!

So, finally Shura will become what he wants to be... ;)
    Unless, of course, Black Isle disappoints again, which is very alike. :(

Final note: I hate cheaters, and I won't tell here how to bypass item restrictions with hex editor, so start weeping SK users! :mad:

2. Avooch Dar Guest

Do not worry. The producers will live up to expectations!

There will be no anti-paladin.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Avooch, I don't like your spams, not only here, but generally.

So, please, pretty please, get away from this topic.

4. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

there will be only one extra class

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Arguments guys, give me arguments, what do you think that I'll believe you without arguments?

6. Avooch Dar Guest

Well for a start i am not a spammer.
    You want an argument.

For a start there is no way that there will be the anti-paladin.Black Isle have already released details of what will be in Throne of Bhaal. There is no mention of this new class and there is certainly no mention of a new race.

Personally i think that Throne of Bhaal does not have enough new features and i am only getting it to play some more BG2 maps and go up in level without having to cheat (which by the way i never do)

This is because i think they have been under too much pressure to bring out the sequel as soon as possible to keep all of our hungry appitites at bay.
    Because of this there is the fact that the anti-Paladin would have to have a new race to use it. You could start as a Githyanki but that would mean a massive overhaul in the game and also you would have to dramatically change the storyline: As far as i know the Githyanki are Outer Planar Creatures and are in no way associated with the prime material planes. the story line would have to be changed because bhall only produced children from races that were availible on the sword coast (or other areas of the planet).

Do not ever accuse me of spamming again. i was simply showing that the TOB expansion was not going to be that brilliant as far as i was concerend.
    Just because i have the ability to shorten my sentences as much as possible does not give you the right to have a go!

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

If that's the case, then we agree on that and I deeply regret all I've said. Sorry!

8. Avooch Dar Guest

Don't worry about it i am sure you just misunderstod my motives.

But on the issue of TOB:
    It will not live up to the high standards that we have been expecting. The reason why is because i think they have not taken enough time to do it.
    If you think about it this is an expansion but it should really be a full game. I mean you get to double your level with most classes but you only get 60 hours of gameplay. It seems to me that you are becoming too powerful to soon.

Saying that it is still 1.5 times longer than Planescape torment so it will provide me with some stisfaction.
    But not as much as i would like!

9. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think making it an expansion is a smart move.
    First of all, you'll need to play BG2 to grasp the storyline, as opposed to jumping straight into the conclusion of the series which would probably be the case if it was to be standalone.
    Second, the developers have less pressure on them regarding new features in the engine, probably just some minor tweaks are done.
    Anyway, that's my opinion.
    As for the anti-paladin, technically, it's already there, so it's not a new class. Did they say anything about not tweaking existing classes? Making it possible for a paladin to become an anti-paladin would be interesting. As a way to give in to the chaotic blood of Bhaal that is. Part of becoming the slayer maybe?
    We shall see.

10. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

are the Githyanki technically anti-paladins?

but on second thought--perhaps not. they are neutral evil, I believe...they come from Limbo, correct?

so how come they get to be anti-paladins?

btw--official word says only the Wild Mage will be new in ToB.

what alignment are Fallen Paladins?

[This message has been edited by cotman68 (edited June 03, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by cotman68 (edited June 03, 2001).]

11. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I tried know alignment on THE fallen paladins. But a fallen paladin can be ANY alignment. Lawfull good isn't the requirement, technically they can fall for failing to honor an oath, or not being humble, or getting greedy..none of that neccessarily means they aren't lawful good.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Extremist, I don't quite understand what you're trying to point out as a problem here...
    You were digging through the innards of the game and found a weapon only usable by a monster (the Githyanki Anti-Paladin). So what? It's not like that's the only weapon/item in the game you cannot get via normal means. And you're not supposed to either. It's simply meant as an attack item of that particular monster.

As pointed out, Wild Mage is the only new class in ToB.

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Tal, on a second thought, you're right.
    I don't know what come into me to speculate about something like that.

Please, close the topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.