1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows Vista - the game won't work at all

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by adamlance, Apr 15, 2008.

1. adamlance Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

[​IMG] I just bought this game and it wont work on my Windows Vista computer. It looks like it's starting to load, and then I just get my desktop again. Is there a patch or a setting or something I can do, or am I out the $9 I spent on this game? (seriously, I'm not worried about the 9 bucks, I just want to play the game).

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you have the boxed version of the game or from some online distribution store? Have you installed any patches or mods?

3. adamlance Gems: 1/31

Veteran

I have the boxed version ==)

I have the boxed version (mini boxed version...you know, when the software goes down to less than $10) and I tried installing all of the patches I could find on the internet (TOEE_USA_ANY-PATCH2, TOEE_ANY-PATCH3, and TOEE_PATCH1_ENU). Nothing has worked so far. a computer expert I know says the only thing I can do is install it on an XP computer to be used just for this game. That's not really an option for me.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't have Vista so I can't tell you the exact steps, but it should be possible to select that the executable run in XP or earlier Windows compatibility mode. Maybe someone else can provide more information.

However, as far as I know ToEE should work with Vista, so I'm not sure if that's going to help whatever's wrong in your case.

5. adamlance Gems: 1/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Thank you so much. If anyone else has any ideas of how I can get this game to work on my computer, please share them. I really appreciate it :)

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I don't know if that will help, anyway, you can right click select "properties" and the "compatibility" tab then you can choose to execute the game in compatibility mode (XP and so on). Running the program as an administartor helps as well (right click, you've got a shield icon).

Still don't expect miracles from that (I was able to run Arcanum -for a while- but it was very taxing).

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    We've seen that it seems to be neccesary to install both Atari patch 1 and Atari patch 2 (in that order) for ToEE to run on Vista.

Atari patch 3 breaks the game in many instances, and it may well be that it's doing so for you. Try repatching with just Atari 1 first and then Atari 2 second and see if it works.

Also, people have reported that you must have Rad Video Tools installed for ToEE's bink videos to run under Vista. You can get it here: http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

Also note that even if you get the game running with just patches 1 and 2, you'll still suffer from the looting bug, which patch 3 was supposed to fix.

8. adamlance Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Thank you so much. I will try these suggestions as soon as I can, and let you know :-)

9. adamlance Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Gaear, you are fantastic!!!!!! It works. I just reinstalled patches 1 and 2. Thank you so much!!!!!

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Have fun, this is a great game.

My only piece of advice is that you are a fool if you don't go to the circle of eight and download their patches. They are an affiliate of Sorcerers Place and they have done some amazing fixes to this game. In addition their forum is full of the most knowledgable people on the internet about this game.

Enjoy.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Most of the Co8 stuff is also available from SP.

12. Dark Knight Gems: 1/31

crash =(

so i have tried to reinstall the game with only patches 1 and 2. and i am having the crash problem as well. the game goes through the makers of the game and crashes with no message box. it manages to get to the wizards of the coast emblem before this happens. if anyone has any more suggestions i would be greatly thankful. thanks for your time.

13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Are you using Vista as well? You might try googling for a no-cd for Atari patch 2, also check your video card settings and make sure that antialiasing is set to application controlled.

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I got it running under vista. It still crashed now and then, but was able to play. I had the number 1 and 2 patch installed, and the CO8 patch.

This does not help. but try the CO8 forum itself. They have an sticky about is if I am correct.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  15. Biffo Gems: 1/31

been at this all day on vista too - when u uninstall u need to delete the folder
    too - there is some residue left somewhere .
    re-install ToEE
    then install patch 2.
    am now trying c08 patch 5,... here goes,...

Last edited: May 26, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.