1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World of Amar - a NWN2 persistent world seeking developers and players!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Danny Internets, May 31, 2006.

1. Danny Internets Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    World of Amar
    http://amar.counterfeitculture.com
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

World of Amar is a NWN2 persistent world set in the Forgotten Realms that seeks to further realize the vision of the creator's NWN1 PW entitled simply "The Underdark." That vision is, in part, to break away from the increasingly roleplaying-focused NWN community mindset and create an innovative module that provides plenty of rapid fire combat fun without degenerating into a monotonous XP grind.

While maintaining a healthy level of dragon slaying and zombie hunting, we believe that plot, dialogue, and a robust back-story are central to the success of any NWN PW. Players' progression in the World of Amar will thus be driven by quests, conversations with NPCs, and the occasional puzzle. Every area will have a purpose--there will be no filler material.

Our design philosophy centers around three principles:

(1) Neverwinter Nights is, above all, a multiplayer game

The designers subscribe to the idea that NWN is all about having a good time playing a game with like-minded gamers. To that end, the module is an exercise in creating a PW that closely resembles existing MMORPGs, striking a balance between pure action and social aspects. Emphasis is placed on group play; most areas will be too difficult to handle without the assistance of your peers. In order to compensate for the recognized difficulties of finding and forming a group, experience is never split amongst members--instead, everyone gets a full portion in addition to a small bonus corresponding to the size of your group. The idea is to eliminate all excuses (outside of personal preference) for rejecting the invitation to play with one's peers.

(2) Players have the right to decide how they will enjoy the game

We also strongly believe that people should be able to play this game (and any game) in whatever manner provides them the most enjoyment. Consequently, all alignments and playing styles are welcome here as long as players respect others' rights to enjoy NWN2 to a reasonable degree. Via the same reasoning, role-playing is not mandatory. Our goal is to provide a top-quality server where anyone and everyone can join up and play with minimal restrictions and without a lengthy and elitist application process. This is a server for all players.

(3) It is vital for the player community to be actively involved in module development

A server is nothing without its players. We value and respect our player base and not only hope for but expect them to help effect change. That is not to say we require players to write code! All it means is that every player is not only given the chance to put forth suggestions that will be taken seriously, but that they may also contribute more directly by creating items, NPCs, writing plot, or even designing entire areas and quests. In our NWN1 PW, The Underdark, there existed literally hundreds of player-submitted items and dozens of player-designed areas. We hope to continue this practice with World of Amar.

We are currently looking for people to fill all roles of the development process including but not limited to the following:

• Scripters (programmers)
    Proficieny in NWScript required
    • Area designers
    Familiarity with NWN Aurora toolset required
    • Plot developers
    • In-game dialogue writers
    Must speak/write English and demonstrate grammatical fluency
    • Item designers
    • Guinea pigs
    (For testing areas, scripts, quests, etc.)
    • PLAYERS
    • Dungeon Masters
    • Heavy-duty server host

If you are interested in any of the above positions please contact me (Dan Matulich), the module creator:

Email: Dan@counterfeitculture.com
    AIM: Danny Internets

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The answer roughly: Boo, go away!

You're requiring Aurora Toolset knowledge for a NWN2 mod? The tileset system will be drastically different, and requires learning no matter what.

And planning PW's - even more so, recruiting people for PW's - before the game is even out is pointless. We don't even know if people can MAKE PW's with the NWN2 engine.

And your website seems to be limping too.

(Says the guy who's had a PW idea and a team of ~15 together for over ten months now... but I don't think the team will be too happy building that world for NWN2. Better wait for Dragon Age.)

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

How you reach that conclusion, I don't have a clue... PWs are certainly possible with the NWN2 engine, and planning certainly has a point. I know the world I'm involved in, we've been planning for 1/2 year already.

And there will be many similarities between the two toolsets, even if the main exterior tileset system will be different.

[Edit just to address the topic]
    Not my peice of cake, sorry Danny. That entire RolePlay: Optional, Hack'n'Slash: Heavy bit does it in for me. Reverse it to Roleplay: Heavy, Hack'n'Slash: Optional and it might be a different matter ;)

4. Danny Internets Gems: 1/31

Hey Taza, instead of being a douchebag, how about pointing your mouse away from the reply button next time? cheers

5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Thanks for proving my point.

Random forums you've just registered on aren't really the best way of recruiting team members, especially when you obviously aren't too skilled in managing a team yet. You'll learn if your project doesn't crash before it has even begun.

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Don't you love that attitude. "Oh, look! A new member! Let's see how we can make him feel unwelcomed." ;)

Best of luck with the project, Danny.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] @ Danny Internets and Taza

Uhhhh, it seems pretty obvious that you both don't see eye to eye, to put things mildly. It may be a good idea to discuss your differences in PM if this tone is going to continue.

8. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

oooooh! Rumble! C'mon, duke it out!

[And the point of posting this four days later after a mod warning was . . . . . .? - dmc]

[ June 13, 2006, 15:51: Message edited by: dmc ]

9. Danny Internets Gems: 1/31

"Thanks for proving my point.

Random forums you've just registered on aren't really the best way of recruiting team members, especially when you obviously aren't too skilled in managing a team yet. You'll learn if your project doesn't crash before it has even begun."

Calling you out on being extremely rude without provocation proves your point about planning a PW out in advance being pointless? Maybe logic works differently there in Finland.

In any event, we've gained 4 members from these forums alone, so I guess it's a good thing I posted here, huh?

PS Thank you for the support, Rotku.

[ Hello? Two moderator warnings in succession aren't good enough for you? Watch your step. ] - Beren

Chill out, admin. I understand you need to throw your clout around to feel important and whatnot, but nobody likes a gestapo. Pointing out logical inconsistencies in another's argument is valid and constructive criticism which is explicitly allowed in your forums rules.

[ August 19, 2006, 18:31: Message edited by: Danny Internets ]

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Constructive criticism is one thing. Still stoking the fire with Taza that we've been trying to put out is something else, especially when its coupled with an implicit generalization about Finnish people.

I don't suppose you've read our rules yet have you?

http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/rules.htm

Note particularly rules #11, #17 and especially #21.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.