1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worth it for a BG fan?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by DarthMuffin, Aug 16, 2006.

1. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I know these topics generally tend to be rather pointless, but since this forum seems a bit dead, I figured I could ask anyway.

I'm a big fan of CRPG, especially those based on the DnD ruleset. Because of this, I also happen to be a big fan of games based on BioWare's infinity engine.

Baldur's Gate is my favourite game ever, and I still play it occasionally. Of course that also includes BG2. I bought and played IWD2 and liked it, though not as much as BG since I like role-playing and city crawling more than hack & slash and dungeon crawling. From what I heard, IWD1 is a dungeon crawl like its sequel, but some poeple seem to say that it's better.

Normally, I wouldn't really bother getting it. But as time goes on, it will become less and less easy to find (only place I can find it right now is the bundle package that also includes IWD2 on amazon.ca). I just feel like I should get it to "complete" my infinity engine games collection :bad:

So I just don't know. Is it long and interesting enough to keep my attention for some time? I liked many aspects of IWD2 (the "big mission" and exploration feel was nice), but I found some parts to be really boring (the underdark and Dragon's Eye, for example). Thoughts?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I personally prefer it to IWD2, big time. Get it bundled with it's expansion if possible. Excellent game. I run through this game more times than I've run through any other Infinity game.

The story is linear, but it's a good story - with a big variety of environments, enemies, and certainly loot. There are no NPC's and little character interaction, but I never seemed to mind.

Get the damn thing already. :)

3. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I am like you, BG is my favorite, but I have played it and like it better the NWN. I think the graphics are rough, but I'm geussing that the game makers did this intentionally, as it ifts the games setting. The story line is quite straightforward, and I don't find myself looking for guides like I do with other games. If you like BG for the banter, this game is not like that, but if you played IWD2 and liked it, you should like the first one.

If you don't want to buy the bundle, I would suggest that you look for just IWD and the expansion on ebay. I would also try typing your search in Amazon a few different ways. I have found that Amazon produces different reasults if I vary my wording a bit.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    When playing BG, there's a time when you stop concentrating in the game and the main focus is on your characters.
    IWD does just that, the story sucks, but who gives a -, your intrest is now ONLY on the XP colllected, not on the story.
    I don't mean the game is only for those who are bored in bg (yes, it gets sometimes boring), but that's my reason for playing it.
    My point is= get the damn game!

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I liked IwD more than the BG series.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

NO joke, I havn't played this game ... eva. And yet I've got IWD II. What's your rate on both games? Seriously because I LOVED the huge exploration factor in BGI and to a lesser extent in BGII but in IWDII it was pathetic :cry: Is it like this in IWD ...

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

IWD is a fun game, with expansions, (HoW an ToTLM) it becomes a really good game. The dungeons are interesting, huge, full of different challenges, random loots are great, plot is very deep if you look for it, and you travel to many wonderful places in north, making your very own legend! I would reccomend it to anybody who likes D&D an CRPGs. :thumb:

9. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

And the Music... IMHO it's one of the best ingame music I've heard. Jeremy Soule was on fire when he composed music in IWD-HoW! (He's always good, but in IWD he just had it)

Edit: My point was; It's worth to play even only because of music.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

It's a very good game, but there isn't any character interaction like in the BG games.

You make all the characters, and it's a very tactics-oriented game. Powergaming is more important in IWD 1 and 2 than in the BG games.

I like the BG games more, but the story is pretty good in this game, and the music is great.

11. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    I'm exactly like you. BG1 is my favourite game, due to the wilderness exploration areas, the way it felt like you were shaping your own destiny, the great storyline, and all the little bits that you could play through 10 times and still miss (it took me two years to find Safana!).
    I bought IWD with HoF and ToL and also IWDII. I haven't played far into both games. From what I see, they're okay but, I can't see myself getting nearly as much enjoyment as from the BG series. It just feels like you're playing something that's already happened because it's so linear. There aren't really any sidequests to distract you and you only visit places necessary for the storyline. In that way, it really is disappointing. However, the music is great and the game visuals are quite beautiful, and though rare, the dialogues are very well thought out and the storyline seems quite interesting (though they are too far in between). I'd say go for it, but lower your expectations, because if you're like me, BG1 (and 2) will never be topped ;)

12. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Don't play them if you want to compare them with BG1. Yes, they have the same engine, but they approach the roleplaying differently. BG games focus on character development and story. IWD series focus less on character development and more on gameplay and the interaction with the world around you (you didn't learned much about the customs of the other races than humans in BG series, but you do in IWD). You must understand that the setting of the game is in an area with low population and few developed kingdoms. But you do get lot of enjoyment mainly from the random factor (unlike BG series, most of the interesting items are random and so are some monsters).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.