1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Would you suggest a Bard?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I haven't played in years until just recently, as you can tell by all the questions. :)
    Would a Bard make a good main character? I've never played one. I know there is Haer Dalis but I like a lot of the other NPCs instead. Minsc (& Boo), Valygar, Mazzy, Imoen, Jaheira, sometimes Keldorn or Jan Jansen.
    Would a Skald be better than a Rogue/Mage?

Any thoughts? Good or bad? Looking for advice here. Say what you will :)

Thanks
    eyebreaker7
    & for some strange reason eyebreaker as well. Silly I say. SILLY!! Lol

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bard or Mage/Thief are both viable main characters. It all depends on what you want to do with them and who else you are bringing along for the ride. Skald, Blade or Jester are all decent characters, as is an unkitted Bard.

Bards level FAST. Their fireball, lightning bolt and skull trap are usually more powerful early on in the game as they are a higher level than the mage. Bard eliminates the need for Identify. Bards can sing. Skalds and Jesters excel at singing. IMO, any character that can cast mage spells(Stoneskin, Mirror Image, etc...), can summon, uses all weapons and most items is aces in my book.

Mage/Thief can be very powerful. But if you plan to rescue Immy and have her join up, they are unnecessary.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well I've decided to try a Blade instead of a Skald. Like the bonuses better.

Another question though:

Why is Intelligence needed for a Bard? I can only get it down to a 13? Charisma is 15 but that's understandable being charismatic and all that good stuff :)

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bards cast arcane spells, and arcane spellcasting is tied to intelligence in BG2. You'll want his Int to be as high as possible if you want to memorize a lot of spells. It should be at least 16.

Bards are good PCs but they can be a difficult class to play. Playing a bard well is easy, Blades of Vanatar pointed out most important stuff. Now playing a bard to its full potential, that's tricky, and that's because bards can use just about anything and there's a lot of really powerful items in the game. It's not like you can memorize the locations of all the wands or the best swipe-able items in one go, for example.

Note that the game doesn't give you a lot of high level thief NPCs to choose from. There's only one, really, without mods - Jan. He's an interesting NPC but you might be looking for warrior instead of another caster-type NPC. The only other potentially good (not just an "acceptable") thief NPC who stays with you is a dual-classed Sarevok, and you'll have to wait a long time before he gets his fighter levels back. Any type of thief/x PC can't really be replaced in BG2 if you want an assassin-type thief.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    How high in spell level do Bard's get for spells? 7th?

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only 6th. Fortunately most combat-type spells are 1-6, though the best summons/nukes are 7+. BTW get 18 intelligence. I forgot BG2 doesn't have the exact same rules as AD&D so there's really no reason to go below 18 for arcane casters. Having 18 intelligence makes it easier for you to bump your Int to 19 and learn every spell in the game. More spells = more XP.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    6th? Hmmm. My blade has 7th level spells. Must be from on of the tweaks/fixes/mods I have installed:

G3 Fixpack
    Weimer's Item Upgrade
    Weimer's Solaufein
    G3 Tweakpack

???

Also how do I spawn Delon? I'm supossed to meet him at the city gates but the only person there was a guy named Flydain who told me about Trademeet not the Umar hills :(

8. Paracelsi

Media:
    Must be because of the G3 tweakpack.

Does your party have Minsc? I usually wait for Delon to find me, but if you don't have Minsc in your party Delon can be found in the Government District, in the area in front of the council building (near where Jan is).

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Do I have Minsc? Such a silly question. I ALWAYS have him in the party :p
    Guess I'll have to check the Government District. Thanks :cool:

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Both Intelligence and Charisma can help you do better with the Bard stronghold, once you get that.

And just between us, it's one of my favorite strongholds. :)

11. Bjourtra Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.