1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Write 1000 Words a Day Challenge

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Deathmage, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    http://www.inkygirl.com/1000-words-a-day-project/

Basically, you write 1000 words a day. On whatever you decide - it can be a novel or play; or it could be just blog posts and dairies. The idea is to get writers into a groove of writing daily. Kind of like NaNo, only a bit more relaxed. There are also 500 and 250 word variants for those that can't dedicate 1000.

Also relevant:

http://writeordie.drwicked.com/
    A site that makes you write, or else you die. Pretty self-explanatory.

http://jon.thysell.us/software/punishpad/
    A DLable version working on a similar concept.

I've started doing the challenge, but I need competition to keep me motivated! Come on, join in and write!

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Might be a bit cheesy but I guess it could work with dairies. :p

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I love Write or Die page you've listed there, DM. Started using it for essays in the latter part of last year and worked wonders. Writing 500 words in fifteen minutes is certainly more effective than writing fifteen words in an hour.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Read this yesterday and did a bit of checking.

I've already worked out I can write about 1500 in two hours on coursework. Once I have all my resources and information, that is without preamble, quotation, extraneous information and waffling.

I can write fiction faster than that once I have an idea, Have several half finished novels I want to revise sometime soon.

I try and do a little bit of programming or planning every day. I work on GCDs most days as well.

So one way or another I think I usually manage 1k words a day in some form.

I have my own thing though, that I'm admittedly falling behind with, I started it in July where I set myself fifty tasks to do in a week. Currently it tends to be about ten different things and five counts of each. (So Modding Tasks 0/5, Coursework 3/5, Painting Tasks 5/5, etc) then I have separate lists of what needs doing, different pieces of coursework, different models needing painting and so on.

I started going a bit crazy over Summer when I was stuck in the flat for a time, one week I had 132 tasks set to do, didn't get them all done, lol, but once I complete a weeks tasks I go back and fill in blanks. Pretty much ensures I always have something to set my sights on, makes sure I'm always on the go with things I can do from home when I'm okay enough to concentrate and get about the place and nowhere else to be :)

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    With essays, I have always, always, always gone over the word limit. Every single time I over-research, shoot past by about 1000 words, and try desperately to squeeze everything in... *shudders* I've perfected essay writing to two simple steps:

1) stfu
    2) Write!

Back on topic: I've been doing the 1000 word thing for two days now and it's really rather easy, especially when divided into two chunks of 500. Problem is that I seem to keep repeating myself for the benefit of future edits, so many wordcounts aren't "real" ... but I suppose crap existing writing is better than perfect nonexistent writing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.