1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

XP distribution

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by ayecapitan, May 21, 2001.

1. ayecapitan Guest

Maybe i be messin' stuff up but what is it?
    Me character (MC, fighter/mage) recieves only half experience; eg. I have fighter:210/mage:210, then I kill a wolf (35xp) and me xp gets to 218/218 (as if I killed a wolf and recieved only 16xp, which got distributed among 2 classes)
    Me difficulty be core ad&d, even if I set it on max, still no change...
    thx
    oh, aye, now I had 236/236 and after gibberling (35xp) it became 239/239; explain plz :)

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited May 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited May 21, 2001).]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Short to say, XP distribution is based on party members' wisdom. The one with highest gets more than the one with lowest wisdom.

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well this may be something very obvious to point out and you may very well know it of course, but..umm...do you have any other party members? Experience rewards are distributed relatively equally among all party members. Naturally a mc character would split the experience he recieves between both his classes, but he also has to share the total experiece rewards among all the party members. So if you have two party members and kill something worth 35 exp, each should get 17 exp or so, then it would be split between your 2 classes. Other than this, I have no clue why you would be getting less experiece.

4. ayecapitan Guest

That was not that obvious to me
    I was absolutely sure exp does not distribute among all party members;
    so, if I play with smaller party, I'll adavnce faster? Coo!
    I thank thee and fare thee well :)

5. tunheim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Extremist - I'm fairly sure that wisdom has absolutely nothing to say regarding the distribution of XP. As an experienced AD&D player I can tell for sure there is no such rule in AD&D, and I've never noticed any such wisdom depended distribution in BG. In fact I think it wouls be very strange, as it would favour priests.

6. tunheim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

One more thing: In AD&D characters with exeptional scores (>16) in their class' primary abilities (Fighter - Strength, Illusionst - Intelligense and Dexterity, etc.) will receive an additional 10% XP bonus. This bonus is added after the XP is divided for multi class characters.

I haven't tested if this also holds for BG, but I think I remember reading it somewhere.

[tunheim - Read the FAQ regarding posting back to back in the same thread; in short, it's frowned upon here. Edit your last post instead - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 21, 2001).]

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, I don't have BG1 with me so I can't check that again (I took it as present to my worst enemy ;) ), but I still think that earned XP is distributed regarding to NPCs wisdom. Not equally as it is said in manual.

Who said that wisdom is needed only by priests? My fighter/mage/thief had wisdom as the highest stat. And str and con as lowest. Never got any problem with that.

*sigh* I smell this week's "IOW" plaque again. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.