1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another party thread

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Ofelix, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Is it not wonderful? Yes, anyway. 'Tis been a long time since I played the old BG and, guess what? I want to start over and (maybe) continue onwards to BG2.

My char would be a Vanilla Mage who would be transfered as a Wild Mage in BG2 (Shame I can't have kits in BG1) 8/16/16/18/10/16 NG human

I thought of having Imoen as my main thief untill I find Coran, then she'll be dual classed into a conjurer.

Coran as my main Archer / thief

Kivan as a supportive Archer

Branw--Whatever (The Stoned Gal) As my main Healer /Priest.

But for the rest of the crew I don't have a clue, and I need a Tank or two for those though battles.

Any help?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd throw in Ajantis for a tank, for sure.

Ever considered TuTu? That way you could be a wild mage from the word go.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, there are three different people in there that can tank. Branwen is a good tank with her DEX and CON, Kivan can handle things with better DEX and HP (due to fighter levels over cleric), and even Coran can wade in with Spider's Bane so long as he's not your main guy taking all the hits (multi-class + no CON bonus = middling HP).

But Coran and Kivan are best spent hanging back with a bow, which leaves only Branwen to tank, and she may not be up to every challenge (Aec'Letec springs to mind). So I would recommend someone who's a designated driver of the tank. (Wait, what?) It looks like you've got a non-evil crew, so that excludes Kagain and Shar-Teel, but Ajantis, Minsc, Khalid and Yeslick are still available.

4. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I played through all of the BG series with a Wild Mage. I don't like TuTu, so made a human mage for BG and then turned him into a Wild Mage in BG2 and ToB. No problems really. If anything it just adds a bit of challenge to BG1, but not really with the Ring of Wizardry. Keep it pure I say, and play old-school BG.

Branwen makes a fine tank. The archers can dole out the damage while she stands up front and bears the brunt of attacks.

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yes about TuTu I tried to install it in the past but it was such a pain in the a** that I don't really want to try again. Unless there is a better way to install TuTu. Plus I kinda like the original BG's GUI.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Jaheira also makes for a good tank I think. I gave her the dx gloves, and the best armours + shield I could find. And bought that poison dagger for her. Turned her into a killing machine.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Khalid IS a good tank if you play him right, some people just condemn his as soon as they meet him because of his attitude. I guess you either love him or hate him but either way he makes a good tank :D

8. zerox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You could try Easy Tutu, i found the install for that quite painless.

I think Yeslick would be a nice addition, that way he and Brawen can trade off tanking and casting in fights as needed. You could do the same with Jaheira but then you'd have to kill off Khalid unless you want a third tank.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Don't you obtain Yeslick in the Cloakwood Mines though? Umm a little long to wait if you ask me unless you rush to do the main quests first ... Much like people do to obtain Coran I guess.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, Branwen can handle things until you get Yeslick. And in the meantime, you get more XP for each member and you don't really feel understaffed with only 5.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

I guess you can kind of take it as if Yeslick is a BG character because you get him REALLY late in the game but if ya really like him ...

12. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Either Ajantis or Minsc (just have Dynaheir "accidentally" die and disband her) will do you right.

I speak from trial-and-error experience when I say that Branwen isn't a tank, even with Gauntlets of DEX, Ankheg Armor, etc.. Even if you do try to get her AC super-low, you're better off getting a frontliner who can actually put up a fight in melee.

For Slick, you'll definitely need all the AC enhancements you can find. His DEX is only 12 and he doesn't really have freak dwarf CON to soak up the punishment (17, which is pretty good, but it's not CHARNAME's potential 19 or Kagain's 20 right out the gate).

If you're going to have only one tank, you should definitely plan to get all the basic AC enhancements anyway (Gauntlets of DEX from Gnoll Stronghold, Ankheg Armor / Drizzt Chainmail, Helm of Glory/Balduran from Baldur's Gate, store-bought Large Shield +1 / medium shield +1 from half-ogre-killing quest, etc.).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.