1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yoshimo - to take or not to take?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Reik Silversword, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Reik Silversword Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am currently playing through the game with a six custom made pc team - I ain't bothered anymore about taking NPC's with me.

My situation is this - two of my PC's are kensai's who I intend to dual class to mage's at level 13, and I am aware that there will be a lot of catch up experience gathering to do to.

Is it worth temporarily putting Yoshimo into my party just before i go to spellhold (to get the experince bonus once he attacks and i take his heart eventually to a temple) or not?

I would have to save it as a multiplayer game, remove one of my pre-made pc's (probbly the half orc beserker), play and recruit Yoshimo, then as soon as he turns, play with my original pc back in.

Or would it be better not to bother - i.e. would the removed pc lose out on too much experience compared to what the two kensai's would gain?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Don't take him. You only get 200,000XP for Yoshimo's Heart, and that's divided by 6 characters, for 33,333 XP each. Seeing as how you have to get your kensias to level 14 mage to reactivate their kensai skills, (well over 1 million XP) the 33,333 XP is negligible.

3. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I always take Yoshimo for roleplaying reasons.
    He's also a good thief.

4. Sweaty Used Armor Plus 100 Gems: 1/31

Yoshi is a good thief, but I wouldn't take him either just for the exp...

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Its really context-sensitive, and dependant on the particulars of your game.

In my good party, I have a fighter/mage carrying the arcane load until I can get Imoen back as early as possible. Yoshimo takes care of the traps, and when he leaves, it works out perfectly to make room for Imoen. In that context, the 33,333xp is definitely pretty sweet.

6. Shivi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Don't take yoshimo. You get a lot more experience in chapter 4 & 5 than mere 200,000 experience to party for Yoshimo's heart. Trust me from experience, I have played the game with 6 custom players.

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I wouldn't say that Imoen is that great a thief ... she can't disarm half the traps i assign her to disarm ...

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Oh? For me she has always done the job -only two acid traps always blow up on her face. :good:

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree - I've never had any problem with Imoen, especially since I usually give her the Ring of Lock Picking, it actually raises her disarm trap ability to above 100%, so there's nothing she can't handle. Nalia on the other hand is not OK. Even with the ring, there's stuff she can't handle. Definitely need to be carrying a bunch of potions with you.

10. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree as well. Imoen is more than adequate to complete the game with. Very rarely does she need a potion, even then it is only one.

The only reason to take a thief other than Imoen is to have a combat thief, for sneaking and backstabbing. If this is the case, then I would recommend creating your own Assassin or Fighter/Thief or Mage/Thief.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Or Bountyhunter...they are surprisingly good...and I can't emphasize enough how good those Special Traps are!

I am currently playing one...so that would be the source of my enthusiasm... :p

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Where would we come across this ... ring of lockpicking may i ask? :D

13. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Docks District (Shadow Thieves' Guild) - from thief who wants to assassinate Aran Linvail

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Um ... Which one is he? lol

15. Sweaty Used Armor Plus 100 Gems: 1/31

Mebbe he means vamp, not thief....hmmm....

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The one at the rear entrance to Aran's level. When you come in just go Northwest past the woman guarding the cloaks and the Shadow Thief training grounds until you come into a semi-enclosed room. He should be sitting in the center.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.