1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You are [charname]

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Morthond, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Does anyone besides me find it odd how many above average stats people are getting? I understand that RPGs are mentally challenging games, and therefore, having the vast majority of people having above-average intelligence and wisdom scores isn't particularly surprising. However, many people (myself included in this) have ALL of their stats above 10. This is quite difficult to believe. It's very hard to be above average in just about everything, and yet that is exactly what most people are.

Taking my own stats as an example, the score of 15 in strength, intelligence and wisdom mean that I am greatly in excess of average in those areas, and dexterity, charisma and constitution of 12 indicate I am still considerably above average in those areas as well. Keep in mind that 13 and above is considered very good, and 15 and above is considered exceptional. As others have said, 17 is nearly unheard of, and if you actually scored an 18 in something, you'd probably be famous.

Maybe I'm just taking a too pessimistic approach to this test. To me, if average is 10, then most people should have average scores of 10 when considering all of their stats together. Even for myself, I'm a little dubious of my 13.5 average. :skeptic:

2. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Aldeth. My guess is the quiz isn't all that acurate, big surprise. :p

3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Str: 9
    Dex: 11
    Con: 11
    Int: 15
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 17

Hm... I'd probably be a Bard, both by looking at the stats, as well as my personal oppinion about myself, (with me beeing a musician and all).

However, I'm a bit sceptic about the test. Surely I ain't got 17 charisma, and the 12 wisdom score is way to low.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The test would likely have most people ignore it if it was to give more realistic scores, so it isn't exactly trustworthy. OTOH, people may also be entering rather optimistic details about themsleves.

I'm rather doubting of my 17 in intelligence- I am above average, but not that exceptional.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You're probably all cheating then. I got below average scores when I did the test.

6. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

took it again, much the same as last time, but i seen less intelligent, wise and charismatic this time. but not by much, i think those states were about 11 each last time

Strength - 14
    Dexterity - 15
    Constitution - 17
    Intelligence - 10
    Wisdom - 10
    Charisma - 9

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    HB, the above are what you said your stats were. While 3 are slightly below average, the other 3 are considerably to greatly above average. Your average works out to a 12. You too, are above average.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK, Aldeth, I agree that the three above average stats are definitely a bit overstated. If I really had Dex of 14, I would be able to play those fighting games with the six buttons, but my fingers don't work fast enough and I get smashed up every time.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hehe, going by that stats test I have 13 in everything but Dex, which is 17. Way to high. The alignment test linked from that page gave me Lawful Neutral, which would be quite far from the truth. Couldn't get the character one to work.

Assigning the scores myself, they would probably look like this:
    Str 10 - nothing special. Wouldn't say I'm weak as such, a lot of sports helps that, but certainly not the strongest person around.
    Dex 13 - been playing sports all my life that involve dex to some extent. From archery to hockey. Always had go hand-eye coordination, fairly decent balance and so on. Yet I'm no super hero.
    Con 12 - I'm fit, don't get sick too often and have always had quite good endurance.
    Int 12 - certainly above average. Logic has always been one of my strong points. Not a genius though, by any leap.
    Wis ? - not really sure here. I'd say varies between 9 and 11, depending on my mood, how much sleep I've had and so on.
    Cha 12 - I like my privacy and aren't very social. But I've always quickly made friends and can debate/speak well.

And alignment I would place myself as NG. Would certainly go out of my way to help people - always have. Unless it's at a big cost to myself. Laws are certainly needed to keep peace and order. But then I've always been of the belief that they should not be followed blindly, and as soon as they fail to achieve what they should, they are useless.

[Edit] And to answer the original post, no, I've never tried this in a game :)

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, while I'm not too surprised that most are above average (the BoM is not an equally representative slice of the world population), some of these get rather ridiculous. Tony's scores, for example...
    I mean, come on. Nothing below 14? :skeptic: While it's certainly possible, the number of people with 0 bad scores is a little suspicious.

EDIT: Case in point below. :rolleyes:

[ September 07, 2006, 06:00: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Here's my stats:

Strength - 15 (Meh I can drop the biggest person if I really want to :D )

Dexterity - 19 (Well what can I say, I play soccer, do gymnastics, breakdancing and boxing ... Just try me :p )

Constitution - 16 (I could last soOooOo long in a fight it's not funny hehe and I can hold my drink, VERY well :lol: )

Intelligence - 13 (I havn't done that much as of yet :( )

Wisdom - 14 (Like I care :D )

Charisma - 18 (ahahahahah!!! I had to say no to a few guys once I SWEAR! What can I say though, I usually win an argument or persuade people to do whatever I want, plus being able to get any girl in the room is a REALLY nice ability :D )

Now I believe these to be the PERFECT scores for me, as I've always wanted to be a rogue in this game :D hehe

[ September 07, 2006, 07:09: Message edited by: •$ilvershield• ]

12. Harbourboy

Silvershield, your charisma score is bang on! Even online, I can tell that you must a really cool person. That test is uncanny!

13. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah. These tests are a touch off. I read each question carefully, then thought hard about my truthful answer and I ended up with some very scary results.

STR 9
    DEX 15
    CON 11
    INT 15
    WIS 16
    CHA 17

These are simply too high for an average person. But I did answer them honestly. I do have an easy time grasping new concepts. This is my triumphant return to college after 3 years away. I just stop going after the semester I began asking myself who I was and what I was doing. This time through college will (hopefully) see my earning 2 or 3 degrees! So, maybe, but not a 15.

17 CHA is at least 3 points too high. Friendly and decent looking, yes. I do have a hard time believing my bride-to-be when she tells me that most all of her friends think I am that good looking. They must be on drugs. Always the drugs.

15 DEX is absurd. No, I do not hurt myself but I can do a lot of the things on the list. Little creepy when I think about how many things I tried to do growing up in a small town.

One test I took a while back said bard. BULLCRAP!!! I hate bards. I think cleric, but maybe ranger. Those characters are very easy for me to get into!

Cool thread, by the way!

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I agree with the people who are saying stats are too high. Because I'm not inclined to do so with every stat I will just point out the STR category.

First off there are only three options available that would place you below average and only one that is average, while there are eleven choices that are above average (although going to 720 is just ridiculous). Using the actual ranges based on 8-10 being average my stats made up.

STR-7 below average overall, but I am average for my age.
    DEX-8 an odd one, I am clumsy, but at the same time I have great body control during sports.
    CON-12 I almost never get sick, have never had a serious injury, and have excellent stamina nothing extrodanary though.
    INT- 17 based off IQ tests and the supplied bell-curve together with the info that someone posted on the first page based on the roll probabilites.
    WIS-9 I have a bad temper, but at the same time I can make good decisions and have some insight.
    CHA- 7 I'm an average looker, with an excellent grasp of American (English) but I'm too eccentric for most.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Cheers HB :D

I know, ima superstar :p

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

First, 9-12 is average. 8-10 might be considered average for the faceless 0-level commoners manning the stores, but that's picking on essentially a lower class of being (stat-wise). Eliminating the top 10% of your data in any study is bound to drop the average.

And second, STR is built that way in 2e; those lift values are taken directly from the PHB's STR table. 4 & 5 have the same values, 6 & 7 have the same values, ... 12 & 13 have the same values, and 14 & 15 have the same values. You can call it a mess-up of the system if you wish, but the quiz is dead on for 2e STR (with the possible exception of always using the higher value).

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Oh very much so. In fact, I believe Silvershield to be one of most popular people on the BoM! It must be the well thought out and spell-checked posts that he gives us all.

18. Fly2tHeSkY

OHHHH That's cold! You're just JEALOUSSSS!

Jealous. Decados is jealous. AREN'T YOU! :D

Seriously I HOPE you were being sarcastic because otherwise I was just really mean :)

Just because YOUR charisma score was 12, nah I love you don't worry :p You just guessed your's though yes? Go use the calculator thingy like I did because if I had guessed, I would've had like 19s in everything hehe :D

Was anyone else suprised by their stats? BECAUSE I WAS! :roll:

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Actually it was the calculator that gave me 12. I'm not sure what I'd have given myself without it.

Me? Jealous?
    :p

I just hope you weren't serious about the 19's...

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    ^Yeah, I thought that was a little odd too - unless $S is an elf. Considering 18 is the maximum attainable by a human, $S's dexterity is literally SUPERHUMAN. His average score is 15.83. He's a freakin' superhero if accurate.

Doing a purely statistical analysis, 9-12 makes more sense for the average range. When you roll a standard 6-sided die, the average of all of your rolls will be 3.5 (even though there's no way to actually roll a 3.5). Therefore, when generating stats by rolling 3 6-sided dice, you get an average of 10.5. Therefore, 9-12 is very reasonable, as it brackets the statistical average by 1.5 in both directions. 8-10 is actually below the point of the statistical average.

I guess it's possible to have an average score of 12 and still be considered an "average" person. When I look at my stats, of 15 in Str, Int, Wis and 12 in Con, Dex, Cha I feel they are a bit high. I'm OK with the str, but 15 in both Int and Wis seem a bit high. I think they should be above average, but I'm not so sure they should be that high. Actually, I'm not sure what a real world comparison would be in determining Int vs. Wis. I am also surprised that my Dex and Cha are over 10. I can think of nothing about myself that would indicate I am anything but average in those areas, although if 12 is considered average, I guess it's OK.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.